Trailer hitch question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer hitch question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
LMust145

Trailer hitch question

If you buy the 2012 WK2 without the trailer and tow package, is it possible to add a hitch to the back??

LMust145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

ya but why do that? Just find one with the Hitch, most of them do as to what I see come through our dealer.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
LMust145

I ordered one from the factory. I have no need for a trailer and have no intention to ever trail anything, but was just curious if the dealer could install it later on.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
KevInSoCal

I was wondering the same thing as most WK2s I've seen do not have the tow package.

I called UHaul and they said approx $200 for a class III hitch.
KevInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
LMust145

My friend is a mechanic. he said that the car has the setup under the bumper already. All you would need to do is get the other bumper that exposes it.
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
BManz
2011 WK 

While you CAN add a hitch to the WK2 after the fact, it is much better to get it with the factory hitch already installed. The hitch is a Class IV, the wiring is already installed, and any transmission cooler lines are added at the factory. Adding wiring afterward is a hassle, IMHO, and I'd rather have all of that under warranty from the get-go than to add it later. It is very worth it to have the towing package factory installed regardless what the stealership or others might say. I'd add that this helps at re-sale time too.
BManz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

I know on my Hemi everything is there minus the receiver and the bumper cutout
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the WKII, but I know my WJ was ordered (not by me) with a trailer prep package. This added a higher gear ratio, HD cooling and the trailer wiring harness, but not the actual receiver.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been many after the fact additions of a hitch. I'm sure there are photos and discussion in the archives, maybe a year ago. Its not a big deal.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
fljeepleo
2011 WK 

The factory package comes with the load leveling rear shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7, QD2
fljeepleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
JAXKXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo View Post
the factory package comes with the load leveling rear shocks.

Sent from my iphone using jeepforum
+1
JAXKXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
azjack
2011 WK 

Where is the info on the load leveling rear shocks? I've asked about the load leveling feature and no one seems to know. How does it work?
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
rockspyder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do a google search (or search here) on "Nivomat." That will give you some information, better than I can. Best thing, best I could tell, is that they are all mechanical, no electronics involved.
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Where is the info on the load leveling rear shocks? I've asked about the load leveling feature and no one seems to know. How does it work?
Jack
Basically the shocks have a set center position (length) that corresponds to the desired ride height. When the average position (shock length) moves off of that point, valves open and close and the up/down motion pumps fluid from one end to the other which, in turn, adjusts the ride height. There is not much more technical info available. They are completely mechanical.

You should be able to purchase them over the parts counter, shocks are replaceable wear items. I dunno the part number off hand.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.