Trailer hitch install - is the wiring already there? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Aquilon75

Trailer hitch install - is the wiring already there?

2015 WK2 Limited without the factory tow package. Do these Jeeps already have the wiring for the trailer hitch installed? I'm assuming it will be obvious if I crawl under there and look for it, but then again, maybe not. Where should I look and what am I looking for? If the wiring is there, and I install the OEM Mopar hitch, would I need to take it to the dealer anyway to flash the software before the wiring will work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM
624c
2014 WK 

If you crawl under the back of the jeep, look up, with your back on the ground. You should see a wire with a large round plug on the underside of the vehicle back drivers side corner. Essentially in line with the spare tire, but obviously out side of the vehicle. It will have a cap on it. All you have to do is remove that cap, and it will plug directly into the 5 way/7way plug that goes into the trailer hitch. Once it is installed, plug something into it that you know the lights work. See if it works. I have heard of some that do. But most, including me, had to go to the dealer and ask them to flash the computer to activate the trailer brake lights. IT is not hard to install the hitch either. If you can turn a wrench you are better off doing it on your own and saving the 800 dolllars the dealer wants to install.

Current: '14 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. Gone '12 JK Sport 2 door 6 speed, '08 Liberty
post #3 of 9 Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Aquilon75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 624c View Post
If you crawl under the back of the jeep, look up, with your back on the ground. You should see a wire with a large round plug on the underside of the vehicle back drivers side corner.
Looks like I'm good to go. Thanks.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

The vehicle does need to be flashed by the dealer with the sales codes for towing for the wiring harness to be activated. They do charge for this; some more than others, so feel free to shop dealer service departments if you have more than one local (enough) to you.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2016, 02:01 PM
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Looks like 2014 was the first model year to have the wiring installed on every model with the cap on the end.
http://www.justforjeeps.com/wiringharness1.html
post #6 of 9 Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 PM
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

My '11 and a half dozen 11-12's I've worked on had it pre wired none that I know had the tow prep/pack, of the few 14's I've seen one did not come pre wired. The Internet is not as reliable asource as it tells you it is.

2000 WJ 5.2 V8
2011 WK2 V6
post #7 of 9 Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I wouldn't rely entirely on Justforjeeps. There are enough variations that its hard to establish a baseline. My neighbor's mid year 2014 base Laredo did not have all the wiring, although all 2014+ should be wired. Most early models also had the wiring.

So look under and check for the connector in the photograph above. I have not heard of one with a dead connector, but there are production variances

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2016, 02:54 PM
624c
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilon75 View Post
Looks like I'm good to go. Thanks.
Yep, thats it! sorry for the long time to reply.

Current: '14 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. Gone '12 JK Sport 2 door 6 speed, '08 Liberty
post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 10:33 PM
AtomicJoe
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
My '11 and a half dozen 11-12's I've worked on had it pre wired none that I know had the tow prep/pack, of the few 14's I've seen one did not come pre wired. The Internet is not as reliable asource as it tells you it is.
I just googled what you said and the Internet told me not to believe you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.