JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Traffic on Nav (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/traffic-nav-1539971/)

goin2drt 06-22-2013 05:11 PM

Traffic on Nav

Is there a traffic option on the Nav? I do not get Sirius traffic with my 1 year free membership. Does the gps/Nav have a built in traffic system. My other car (BMW) also does not use the Sirius traffic but does have traffic built in to the Nav system so there is no subscription.

ColdCase 06-23-2013 05:50 AM

No it uses the Sirius Sat channel. The traffic used to be included in the one year trial. Its not that reliable or useful in most areas as there is some lag in updates but many are satisfied with it.

goin2drt 06-23-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 15596295)
No it uses the Sirius Sat channel. The traffic used to be included in the one year trial. Its not that reliable or useful in most areas as there is some lag in updates but many are satisfied with it.

Ok thanks. That's why I asked. Sirius traffic is not that good, you are right. The traffic that is tied into my Nav in the other car I believe is through garson and I think they use different information as it is better.

Oh well.

bilbo_28 06-23-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 15594760)
Is there a traffic option on the Nav? I do not get Sirius traffic with my 1 year free membership. Does the gps/Nav have a built in traffic system. My other car (BMW) also does not use the Sirius traffic but does have traffic built in to the Nav system so there is no subscription.

Not sure what year GC or what nav you have but in the '14 with the 8.4AN I get traffic delays highlighted on the nav and there is an option to navigate around them.

goin2drt 06-23-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo_28 (Post 15596497)
Not sure what year GC or what nav you have but in the '14 with the 8.4AN I get traffic delays highlighted on the nav and there is an option to navigate around them.

Yes that is part of the free sirius feature but only works if you have a destination inputted. My traffic works and shows the traffic even if I do not have a destination in.

shekshishekki 06-23-2013 12:52 PM

Only thing i use it for is to check for traffic on the highways. Never follow its rerouting recommendations...ask me how i know >8(

Webb 06-23-2013 11:28 PM

Forget that useless navigation,just use a Google gps on your phone,much better than car nav.

bilbo_28 06-24-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 15596545)
Yes that is part of the free sirius feature but only works if you have a destination inputted. My traffic works and shows the traffic even if I do not have a destination in.

I don't think that is what I have seen, I am pretty sure last week I flipped to Nav when a road started to back up and I could see the road shown in red and I had no destination set.

Is this traffic is a paid service from Sirius in the "travel-link" bundle? :confused:

jacko15 06-24-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo_28 (Post 15600628)
Is this traffic is a paid service from Sirius in the "travel-link" bundle? :confused:

Not included in TravelLink. Here's the info:
http://www.siriusxm.com/travellink/pricing

NDSU_Bison 06-26-2013 09:27 AM

The traffic feature came in handy once when I-5 was closed in Sacramento when we were driving down to LA and the system routed us to the alternate routes. When driving through Mpls./St. Paul at rush hour, it kept saying "recalculating route" at least once per minute based on traffic since there were about a dozen ways we could have travelled to our destination on different freeways that all run basically N/S or E/W.

bilbo_28 06-26-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo_28 (Post 15600628)
I don't think that is what I have seen, I am pretty sure last week I flipped to Nav when a road started to back up and I could see the road shown in red and I had no destination set.

Yup just as I thought, I got to test the other day, no destination (or it would say "Stop Guidance") but it is showing the traffic hold up on the Rt 413 bridge..... http://i.imgur.com/N9avgBu.jpg

goin2drt 06-26-2013 05:04 PM

OK so how did you get that. I can not get the traffic like that even if I put in a destination. I have the Sirius free subscription, called them and they said I do not have Sirius traffic as it is not offered by Jeep. I can only get Sirius traffic if I start paying for it. Are you getting the traffic from Sirius or is it built into your radio?

bilbo_28 07-01-2013 08:16 AM

Not sure, as I think I said above I have a 2014 with the 8.4AN radio and whatever free Sirius came with it for the year. All I have to do to is switch to "Nav" and wait about 30 seconds for the traffic to come in, nothing else.

Glboater 07-09-2013 05:17 PM

Hello All, I'm new to the forum. Just picked up my new 2014 GC Overland and really like it. I'm coming off a BMW X5 and have to tell you that this gives me much more room and is loaded with many more features. So far so good except I too am having difficulty getting the traffic on my Nav screen. The dealer is telling me that I have to go to the app and then to Sirius traffic. I told him I didn't think that was right. If anyone can give me more ammo to go to the dealer with I'd appreciate it. I'm going to copy the picture in the thread and start with that. I am subscribed to all 3 Sirius options. Radio, traffic and travel link. Thanks and look forward to joking the group.

bilbo_28 11-19-2013 05:39 PM

Not sure if you ever worked out how to get the traffic on the nav screen, but after upgrading the radio software I noticed that I was not seeing it again. It took a while but I found the setting that I must have changed before....

From the map > settings > map settings > select speed and flow.
http://i.imgur.com/2LfG3Nf.jpg

Hope that helps you.

The time now is 03:39 PM.