Traded the 2011 Limited for a 2014 Overland - some observatiions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Traded the 2011 Limited for a 2014 Overland - some observatiions

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
rudeney
2014 WK 

Traded the 2011 Limited for a 2014 Overland - some observatiions

The lease was nearly up on the wife's 2011 Limited and after a month of searching for a replacement, she decided that she liked the GC so much that she'd just get another one, maybe a different color. We ended up with a black Overland (V6 2WD, just like the other one). We picked it up two weeks ago on a Friday, and then headed out for a week at the beach on Sunday. Our Limited was pretty much loaded, but the new Overland adds a few more features. The larger Uconnect screen and MFD panel on the instrument cluster is very nice. I also like the cooled seats, leather dash and wood steering wheel.

Despite the 20" wheels vs. the Limited's 18's, it still rides and drives great. The new 8-speed transmission is much more smooth and responsive, and even on a brand-new engine, we're seeing a 2mpg increase in economy. I'm not crazy about the shifter. If they were going to the electronic style, I'd have preferred the dial like on some other Chrysler vehicles, or the stalk like Mercedes-Benz uses. The short travel of the "click shifter" just sometimes makes it hard to tell what position it's in.

I like the power liftgate, but miss the rear glass opening. I also miss the chrome door trim. That strip really saved a lot of door dings. And I also miss the rear liftgate chrome trim. It makes the rear end look more plain. But the rear LED tail lights are nice. And the front end is fantastic - I love the grille, LED DRL's and the big chrome tow hooks. Another change, is that the carpet is not black, but light colored. We had the same the "Light Frost Beige" interior on the Limited and the carpets were black. I don't know if it's because it;s the Overland or if it's a new model year change, but I'd prefer darker carpet. I think I am going to order a set of Llyond mats in brown to match the contrasting leather on the dash and doors.

The paddle shifters are a nice touch, but don't seem to be terribly responsive. I played around with them some, but was trying to be gentle on the new engine. I still prefer a cruise control stalk to wheel-mounted buttons. Oh, and speaking of stalks, I swear the turn signal stalk sits back further from the wheel. I have large hands and it's still a stretch. Maybe it's something to do with the power steering wheel adjustment?

Overall, we are very happy with the new GC. The Limited was a pleasure to drive and was virtually flawless (we did have a problem with Sirius radio presets getting loss on Drive 2 settings). I would love to have a 4WD, but they are almost nonexistent here - they seem to believe that people in The South only use 4WD to go off-road and no on would take a leather-clad Jeep GC off-road, so only Laredos are ordered that way. Oh well, ours never sees anything but pavement, and the once every two-year snow flurries we get aren't enough to warrant it.

rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Congrats , glad to here you are happy with your new ride.
Also love that you didn't slag the old 2011 Limited you had.

Happy wheeling!
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
nrb1225
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
Oh, and speaking of stalks, I swear the turn signal stalk sits back further from the wheel. I have large hands and it's still a stretch. Maybe it's something to do with the power steering wheel adjustment?
Yes, I agree with you on this... definitely feels like a stretch compared to my last vehicle. I've gotten used to it after 4 months of ownership but I remember thinking the same thing when I picked mine up.

Congrats, and enjoy your new Jeep!
nrb1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
kkreit01

Congrats, and thanks for your review. I too prefer the chrome door strips vs. the letter emblems -- which are a real pain to clean/wax around. If I ever traded, I would miss the rear flipper glass also. I've used it several times for hauling extra-long items from Home Depot. The new interior and tranny would sure be nice though.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
nyrhockey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
Congrats, and thanks for your review. I too prefer the chrome door strips vs. the letter emblems -- which are a real pain to clean/wax around. If I ever traded, I would miss the rear flipper glass also. I've used it several times for hauling extra-long items from Home Depot. The new interior and tranny would sure be nice though.
The more house stuff i've gotten to do the more i use the flip glass. As long as it's our only SUV i think the flip glass is a deal breaker.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrhockey23 View Post
The more house stuff i've gotten to do the more i use the flip glass. As long as it's our only SUV i think the flip glass is a deal breaker.
I took a road trip last weekend and I saw a few 2015 GMCs(Yukon ,Tahoes) on the road .A couple of them were pulling trailers and were making full use of the flipper glass feature.

I used my flipper glass window to get a few snacks for the kids out of the cooler.
I popped the hatch one time by accident, had to chase the soccer and basket balls down the street, that sucked.

Oh,oh!!, anyone seen the 2015 Volvo XC90!!?. Total copy of the 2014 + WK2 styling, with better lights.The rear is ugly though.
You know it's a winner when.
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

I agree about the signal stalk. But be sure your auto high beams aren't on as the stretch is further with the stalk pressed forward.
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
rudeney
2014 WK 

Glad to know it's not just me on the stalk - I knew it was a longer reach! And yes, with the high-beams, it requires removing my hand from the steering wheel to reach it - and I have large hands. It's only mildly annoying, and really nothing worth complaining about - just "different" from the 2011.

I do miss the opening rear glass, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I did carry a few long things that way, but it was rare. It was most useful when packing for a trip, being able to cram more things in without worrying about if the tailgate will close.

Oh, another thing that I like - the rear 120v power outlet is always on. On the 2011, it had to be manually activated on the dash.
Unread 08-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
rudeney
2014 WK 

One more thing I forgot to mention - the cool blue interior lights as opposed to the mousy green "1970's Chrysler" color of the 2011.
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher
I took a road trip last weekend and I saw a few 2015 GMCs(Yukon ,Tahoes) on the road .A couple of them were pulling trailers and were making full use of the flipper glass feature. I used my flipper glass window to get a few snacks for the kids out of the cooler. I popped the hatch one time by accident, had to chase the soccer and basket balls down the street, that sucked. Oh,oh!!, anyone seen the 2015 Volvo XC90!!?. Total copy of the 2014 + WK2 styling, with better lights.The rear is ugly though. You know it's a winner when.
I rented a 2015 GMC Yukon to haul six of us around Oregon last week . What a beautiful ride. It not only had flipper glass.....the glass was power operated from the key fob. I found out the hard way going down the street when it opened up !

The GMC feels / operates just like my GC ....except everything is bigger and it drinks gas to the tune of 18 mpg mixed driving . I hope the new ( bigger) Jeep Wagoner is as nice .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
I rented a 2015 GMC Yukon to haul six of us around Oregon last week . What a beautiful ride. It not only had flipper glass.....the glass was power operated from the key fob. I found out the hard way going down the street when it opened up !

The GMC feels / operates just like my GC ....except everything is bigger and it drinks gas to the tune of 18 mpg mixed driving . I hope the new ( bigger) Jeep Wagoner is as nice .
I see a lot of the GMCs around where I work(Oshawa Canada ,home of the Chevrolet auto plant). Both Yukon and Tahoe, they look great.

I must say the north American Truck makers are bring up their standards.

Chrysler/Jeep will have to come correct with whatever they bring next.

I love competition!.
Unread 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
gbakes

I rented a Yukon recently and really liked it, except for how it looks. Ugh. The JGC, to me, is quite possibly the best looking SUV currently on the market. I was heading towards a Range Rover Sport and the Jeep is just as good looking', if not better, than the new Ranger Rovers.
gbakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
ssgunner

Congrats. Wow i am glad they got rid of that rear chrome trim. That thing is ugly man.
ssgunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
rudeney
2014 WK 

You mean the chrome trim between the tail lights with "Jeep" on it? I actually liked that. The back looks sort of plain to me now. Oh well, to each his own!
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgunner View Post
Congrats. Wow i am glad they got rid of that rear chrome trim. That thing is ugly man.
+1. Looked like something JC Whitney would offer. Glad they got rid of that thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.