TPMS question? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > TPMS question?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #16
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is when the pipe bomb comes in handy

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #17
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Are you swapping just the rims or rims and tires? Why not just spring to have the factory TPMS sensors swapped to the new wheels?

Sorry, don't see the logic in doing a way with a safety feature. Retaining the TPMS will allow you to monitor real time what the tire pressure on each wheel so you'll know when one specific one is a little low and in need of air.

Besides, you or the place you're getting wheels and tires should be able to program the TPMS yourself even if you bought new sensors.
I'd debate the utility of TPMS as a "safety feature" - more of a "creature feature."

An attentive driver will catch a low tyre, and a very attentive driver will not it before the TPMS threshhold is reached. The batteries in the TPMS sensors on my wife's 2005 Verona are running down, I'm not going to replace them. 1) They're $90 each. 2) She and I both catch a low tyre before TPMS does. 3) I can't feature spending as much on a replacement valve stem as I do on a new tyre. 4) If I can't replace just the battery for a couple of bucks, the system is designed badly and needs to be reworked.

Besides, how much of a "safety feature" can it be if it can be ignored and trouble caused thereby? TPMS doesn't do anything to enhance safety - all it does it allow people to not pay attention to what they're doing. "Build a car any idiot can drive, and every idiot will have one." Seems to me that more and more is being done to allow people to drive forward with their brains in neutral - and I've got a huge problem with that...
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Seems to me that more and more is being done to allow people to drive forward with their brains in neutral - and I've got a huge problem with that...
x94895849589436

What a great statement.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
wj0313
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

By law the dealerships can not alter the TPMS system in anyway,no lowering the thresh hold psi,no raising the thresh hold psi,and no disabling of the system in anyway.Good luck finding one that will.
Actually, we do it all the time. If someone orders an upgraded set of rims and tires, we have to change the computer settings to match them.
wj0313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj0313 View Post
Actually, we do it all the time. If someone orders an upgraded set of rims and tires, we have to change the computer settings to match them.

Sorry to really go off topic here..... BUT.....

I put some 32" tires on the WK2 and was at the dealer getting some TSBs done for the ESC and PCM (or ECU or whatever other letter combo you want to use) and I asked if they could readjust the computer for the correct tire diameter so my odo and speedo would read correctly. They were already plugged in with their computer or doing whatever it is they do.

Got my Jeep back and the service guy said they did not have the ability to set new tire diameter.
Is this true or is he blowing smoke?

It's not that big of a deal, but I'd like to get it done. I guess I may just have to wait for the new superchips programmer.
(Which, I also believe will be able to change the air pressure settings for the TPMS....... BACK ON TOPIC YES!)
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
fourwheelin7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...Q5fAccessories

Purchased these same sensors last month and installed in my new Limited / Overland 20 in. Rims and tires and didn't have to take it to dealer to have them programmed in, work great!
fourwheelin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
burnse

Thanks fourwheelin7 that's the answer i was looking for. I dont really mind dropping the 70 bucks on them but i was not going to do it if i had to pay the dealer to program them but if what your saying worked i'll just have the company set the tire on the rim and i'll squeeze them in myself and go to my buddy's tire shop to put the rest together. thanks again guys i really appreciate the help..and enjoyed all the tpms bashing threads
burnse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.