TPMS question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > TPMS question?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
burnse

TPMS question?

My apologizes if this has already been discussed but couldn't find the answer. I am purchasing new wheels but do not want to waste the money on tpms and then having to waste more money at the dealer to program them so besides the light on the dash being on is there anything else i need to worry about? It is a 2011 with the 17's. Thanks!

burnse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
fleuger99
2011 WK 

I've switched wheels in other brands (VW & Audi) and I've bought both new and used TPMS sensors for the new wheels and never had to have them programed so I don't think you'll need to for the Jeep either.

I believe the TPMS light is the only thing that will be affected but I'd buy new or used second set of TPMS sensors for your new wheels. New they are around $75 each and used I got a set of 4 for $135.

What wheels are you getting?
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Are you swapping just the rims or rims and tires? Why not just spring to have the factory TPMS sensors swapped to the new wheels?

Sorry, don't see the logic in doing a way with a safety feature. Retaining the TPMS will allow you to monitor real time what the tire pressure on each wheel so you'll know when one specific one is a little low and in need of air.

Besides, you or the place you're getting wheels and tires should be able to program the TPMS yourself even if you bought new sensors.
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you really don't want to pay to have them swapped over, make this:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...pipe-bomb.html
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
silver04
2011 WK 

Thats genius!
silver04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Are you swapping just the rims or rims and tires? Why not just spring to have the factory TPMS sensors swapped to the new wheels?

Sorry, don't see the logic in doing a way with a safety feature. Retaining the TPMS will allow you to monitor real time what the tire pressure on each wheel so you'll know when one specific one is a little low and in need of air.

Besides, you or the place you're getting wheels and tires should be able to program the TPMS yourself even if you bought new sensors.
While I agree it is a nice feature, I really don't think it is a necessary safety feature. People have been looking at their tires for years to determine if one is low in air. It is nice to see a readout on the dash but the other method has worked for a lot of years.

If I ever get new wheels, I will not get the sensors put back in unless it is included in the price. There is no way I am paying for that feature on new wheels.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
prepreludesh
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
While I agree it is a nice feature, I really don't think it is a necessary safety feature. People have been looking at their tires for years to determine if one is low in air. It is nice to see a readout on the dash but the other method has worked for a lot of years.

If I ever get new wheels, I will not get the sensors put back in unless it is included in the price. There is no way I am paying for that feature on new wheels.
But it is that reasoning ^^ that has gotten people killed in the past when riding on low profile tires. A low profile tire won't visibly show it is low until it's way too late. That is the chief reason that it is now required by law to be installed in all cars 2009 and newer. I'm also sure that fuel economy had something to do with it as well.
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
77rednecktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepreludesh View Post
But it is that reasoning ^^ that has gotten people killed in the past when riding on low profile tires. A low profile tire won't visibly show it is low until it's way too late. That is the chief reason that it is now required by law to be installed in all cars 2009 and newer. I'm also sure that fuel economy had something to do with it as well.
This is the first vehicle that I have owned that has the TPMS BS, I did not know it was a law. How stupid is that to make a law that is has to be there? If people are too stupid/lazy/careless/etc... to make sure their vehicle is safe, then they deserve what they get. I really hate laws that try to protect people from being dumb, it never works like planned.

more weight, more sensors that fail, more money for parts, more money to fix parts when they break, etc... It is just a bad idea all around IMO.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepreludesh View Post
Uhhh.... just use a tire pressure gauge and check at least once a month? Or even check every time you fill the fuel tank?
It's really not that hard.
Yes, having TPMS is a nice convenience. But, as Redneck said..... more parts = more $$ and potentially more headache.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not going to lie, I like it in my mom's WK2, but I would be in serious trouble with my TJ because I run my tires at 20psi. I agree that all of the BS they are putting in cars not only makes them more expensive from the start, but also more expensive to to own and fix, and we just don't need that garbage in there.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
This is the first vehicle that I have owned that has the TPMS BS, I did not know it was a law. How stupid is that to make a law that is has to be there? If people are too stupid/lazy/careless/etc... to make sure their vehicle is safe, then they deserve what they get. I really hate laws that try to protect people from being dumb, it never works like planned.

more weight, more sensors that fail, more money for parts, more money to fix parts when they break, etc... It is just a bad idea all around IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Uhhh.... just use a tire pressure gauge and check at least once a month? Or even check every time you fill the fuel tank?
It's really not that hard.
Yes, having TPMS is a nice convenience. But, as Redneck said..... more parts = more $$ and potentially more headache.
Like I said before, I think having TPMS is a great idea, more so when you can monitor what the exact pressure is each tire. Speaking of, I have to add some few pounds of air to the rear tires on my GC.

Do I think there needed to be a law to force automakers to include them on vehicles, no. I think it is another example of trying to protect people from themselves.

It's unfortunate that so many people are lazy and stupid when it comes to maintaining their vehicles. You're spending all this money on the thing annually but yet you're not going to perform simple tasks to ensure it's longevity.
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Remember the Ford/Firestone fiasco? That is where TPMS started then became mandatory on all '08+ vehicles sold in the US.People are lazy and dumb these days and never care about the 2nd biggest investment they will ever make.Been turning wrenches professionally for 15 years now and not much suprises me anymore at how dumb people really are.
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
ternst

I frequently get holes in my tires due to sharp rocks or nails or screws when they grade our nine miles of gravel road, and for some reason the tires rarely go completely flat, but they do get down to 20-25 pounds and then just stay there. It has been a godsend being able to know when the tires are low via TPMS these past five or six years since they started putting them on cars - I guess I'm just a ******* for not being able to always tell this from a casual look or while driving. TPMS is great for folks like me....
ternst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
JoeSchmoe007

It doesn't seem anybody said that: if your new wheels/tires have different pressure from original tires you will need to have computer in your car reprogrammed by dealer so that it "knows" when to report low pressure.
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
It doesn't seem anybody said that: if your new wheels/tires have different pressure from original tires you will need to have computer in your car reprogrammed by dealer so that it "knows" when to report low pressure.
By law the dealerships can not alter the TPMS system in anyway,no lowering the thresh hold psi,no raising the thresh hold psi,and no disabling of the system in anyway.Good luck finding one that will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.