TPMS - Low Tire Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > TPMS - Low Tire Pressure

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
grimper
2012 WK 

TPMS - Low Tire Pressure

2011 JGC Overland 4x4 w/5.7 Did some riverbed riding yesterday with no issues. However this morning (6:15am) when I got in my vehicle and started it the TPMS Sensor went off "Low Tire Pressure". My tire pressure was reading FL=31,FR=31,RL=28 & RR=31. I drove it over to the gas station to fill it and it heated up a little giving it a reading of FL=35,FR=36,RL=31 & RR=35. I didn't see any obvious cracks. Should I be worried I have a slow leak? I have noticed that this tire is usually 1-2 psi lower than the others? Has anyone else had issues?

FYI This would make the 3rd stock tire I have replaced in 4 months. The first 3 were all the same wheel and were taken out by sidewall damage(Stock tires + offroad = ). I know I should put on some real off road tires and some steely's on but havent b/c of the expense.

I would love to hear some feedback.

Unread 06-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
magr80
2011 WK 

WOW! I'm usually on top of all these things but on my Overland w/20" wheels, it's inflated to 40 -41 and that changes from time to time to 38-39. How much air goes in these tires? Did they overinflate the goodyears on my ride?
magr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Chuckweed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am running right around that same range in my 20" tires as well @maqr80... @Grimper, is there any rim damage from your offroad excursions? Is there a dent or crack in the rim that might give you a slow leak at the bead seal? I have run into that on my steel wheels on the Rubi. Luckily they are easier to fix and if not fix, cheap to replace.
Chuckweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
grimper
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckweed View Post
I am running right around that same range in my 20" tires as well @maqr80... @Grimper, is there any rim damage from your offroad excursions? Is there a dent or crack in the rim that might give you a slow leak at the bead seal? I have run into that on my steel wheels on the Rubi. Luckily they are easier to fix and if not fix, cheap to replace.

Maybe thats it? My rims are toast, they were 20's and they are just plain destroyed cosmetically from rock damage. 20" chrome rims should be an option on a 4x4 not standard.
Unread 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
ternst

I get frequent slow leaks that will often just go down into the 20's overnight and then stay there and never get any lower. Almost all the time it is due to a small bit of gravel that has worked its way deep into the tread, and then gets pushed into the airspace as the tread wears down. My Overland is six weeks old (6,500 miles, probably half of them on gravel county roads), and I've already destroyed two of the "special" off-road tires that I paid Jeep extra for. The only reason these tires are on my jeep is because my normal tires have been out of stock nationally, but they are back in stock and I'm finally getting to dump the "special" off-road jeep tires. The new tires (Hankooks), have special "rock ejectors" that seem to solve the gravel issue, plus they are really great tires on and off road and don't cost all that much, and best of all are available now for my 18" wheels.
ternst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Also check for a nail, our Liberty had these symptoms and discovered a small nail near the sidewall.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
grimper
2012 WK 

So I filled up my tires after work yesterday all to 35 PSI. After a few miles the TPMS reset itself and it held through the night. Thanks for all the feedback all just reminders/confirmations its time for steel and real tires

FYI I'm on this type of terrain almost everyday
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Chuckweed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

May not be good on the tires, but it sure looks beautiful out there. Nice pic.

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Chuckweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
thewineguy1
2011 WK 

My TPSM came on and the tire pressure was okay. Had the dealer rotate the wheels and they topped off the air pressure and told me to drive 5-10 for the TPSM to reset itself. After driving over an hour to get home the TPSM had still not reset itself. Any ideas??
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
danteg

In my wife's 70th Anniv. It had a faulty tire (20 inch Fortera). The pressure kept going down within 2 days of adding to 35 psi. By the third day it was at 20psi. They water tested and found no leak. I went to a Just Tires location (they ate owned by Goodyear) and they replace tire under warranty. The dealer wanted nothing to do with it.
danteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

My tires came inflated between 35-40 psi (18" Michelin Latitude Tours) from the factory and the TPMS says they are all "OK". The tire pressure rating on the door label says 33 psi.

I'm not sure if I should deflate them a bit or not since the TPMS says things are "OK" even with the tires at 40 psi.
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
nathantw
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP View Post
My tires came inflated between 35-40 psi (18" Michelin Latitude Tours) from the factory and the TPMS says they are all "OK". The tire pressure rating on the door label says 33 psi.

I'm not sure if I should deflate them a bit or not since the TPMS says things are "OK" even with the tires at 40 psi.
I usually inflate to what the label on the door says...when the tires are cold.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i have noticed my in car gauge read 1 -2 psi higher than the 4 differnt gauges i have use on it. i like 33-35 in them
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteg View Post
In my wife's 70th Anniv. It had a faulty tire (20 inch Fortera). The pressure kept going down within 2 days of adding to 35 psi. By the third day it was at 20psi. They water tested and found no leak. I went to a Just Tires location (they ate owned by Goodyear) and they replace tire under warranty. The dealer wanted nothing to do with it.
Thank you. That is a very useful post should my right rear tire lose air again. I noticed it losing air slightly compared to the other tires, then after first noticing it, a couple of weeks later and one morning the tire pressure sensor chim went off and it had dropped from 35 psi to 29 psi. I filled up to 43 and left it and it slowly lost air. I took it in and the service department took it off and used soap and water, etc. and could not find any leak; they checked the valve stem too. It's now staying at 35 psi. Weird.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP View Post
TPMS only cares about low pressure
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.