Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TPMS Flashing Light - Intermittent

21K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  notreallyajeep 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Laredo. I've read other threads about the TPMS light flashing for several seconds before turning solid on is an indication of a system error. My question is... Is it possible for me to determine where the problem is without dismounting tires myself? Can OBD tell me anything?

If I take it to a shop to fix, I just want to be prepared for what the damages are going to be. Are they going to have to dismount all tires to find the problem, then charge me mounting/balancing fees for each wheel? I see that aftermarket sensors run between $25 - $50. Is it just a TPMS sensor battery somewhere going bad?

The light flashes most of the time right when starting the vehicle. Sometimes it will go off on its own, but eventually come back.

Thanks...

#2 ·
Most tire shops have a portable sensor scanner that they carry around to each sensor and test. They usually do that for free. To fix a sensor, you dismount the tire and replace. Most tire shops want to use sensors they provide.

A pro type ODB scanner like the dealer uses, should be able to read the TPMS module codes, but not your everyday scanner.

Sounds like you may have a sensor battery issue, and may have to wait till it completely dies.

#4 ·
Do you have a display option that shows all four tire pressures? Mine does, but you have to scroll through the menu to find it.

I had one of these sensors break (where the cap goes on). I was in a hurry, and the easy way was to buy a new sensor at an auto parts store and have a tire shop put it in. On the day it happened, only gas stations and the used tire place were open. They told me there were the programmable kind, which required some equipment nobody had that day, and a self programming kind, which was only about $10 more.

I ended up with the universal one, which was about $50, and it works great, but when I air up coming off the trails, it won't report a new pressure until I'm going about 20mph (not a problem, just interesting).

#6 ·
...but when I air up coming off the trails, it won't report a new pressure until I'm going about 20mph (not a problem, just interesting).
To save battery life, sensors only transmit pressure when the wheels are rolling above a certain speed, and once every so many revolutions. Each sensor manufacture programs them a bit differently.

#5 ·
Laredo (or at least mine) doesn't have individual tire readings. I have an OBDLink, but couldn't find any info on whether there are PIDs for TPMS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The tire pressure module does have a couple dozen error codes such as C1501-96 sensor 1 failure.

#11 ·
Does the new wheels have sensors in them, and if so, are they compatible with your year model? They have changed over the years, wheels/tires/sensors from one year do not necessarily work in another. Then there are aftermarket sensors that need to be programmed.

#10 ·
When I worked at a jeep dealership we had a special tpms scan tool. you hold it up close to the valve stem and it would tell you if the sensor was good or bad. My tpms light is on too. My laredo has the display that shows the tire pressure in each tire so I was able to determine it is the right front tire sensor going bad.

#13 ·
If the sensors are compatible and working, the TPMS warning light will turn off within a few miles. The WK2 system automatically resets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.