TPMS in cold weather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > TPMS in cold weather

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
badrich94
2012 WK 

Question TPMS in cold weather

So we drove our '12 summit in the snow for the first time this past weekend and Xmas. I was curious about how the tires would perform so I kept the tire pressure monitor turned on. I keep my tires at 36psi and was curious how low it would go. TPMS usually has it go up to 38psi once I get going on the road. In any case, the TPMS system never showed below 38psi. It was 19 degrees outside. Does anyone have funky performance with the TPMS in cold weather? I am worried, because what if I started to get a flat tire, I wouldn't get notified...

badrich94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Sounds normal to me. If you are driving (especially at higher speed) the tire pressure will be normal even in cold weather.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
lysol
2013 WK 

Funny you posted this. My tires actually dropped from driving in the snow yesterday by about 5 psi each. That was most of the day driving in snow and slush at around 25 degrees outside. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could always air one down and watch it. then air it back up.
lysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
badrich94
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
Funny you posted this. My tires actually dropped from driving in the snow yesterday by about 5 psi each. That was most of the day driving in snow and slush at around 25 degrees outside. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could always air one down and watch it. then air it back up.
I'm just worried that it doesn't work correctly in cold weather. When I checked the tires manually, they were at 33psi. TPMS never went below 38psi. It's like it was stuck or something.
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Were you by any chance driving at high altitude?

The only time I've noticed my tire pressure drop is when its been setting for awhile. I never have seen it drop while moving... unless I had a leak... regardless of outside temperature. I suppose if you were moving slow enough and the outside temperature is dropping you may see some tire pressure drop.

The TPMS seems to be accurate at sea level. It will indicate lower pressure than gage pressure at altitude. You may get a sensor bad every now and again, but not all four at the same time. the only place there is anything mechanical that could stick is within the tire sensors themselves. Everything else is circuits and software.

How accurate is that mechanical gauge you are using? Do you know how its accuracy changes with temperature?
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
badrich94
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Were you by any chance driving at high altitude?

The only time I've noticed my tire pressure drop is when its been setting for awhile. I never have seen it drop while moving... unless I had a leak... regardless of outside temperature. I suppose if you were moving slow enough and the outside temperature is dropping you may see some tire pressure drop.

The TPMS seems to be accurate at sea level. It will indicate lower pressure than gage pressure at altitude. You may get a sensor bad every now and again, but not all four at the same time. the only place there is anything mechanical that could stick is within the tire sensors themselves. Everything else is circuits and software.

How accurate is that mechanical gauge you are using? Do you know how its accuracy changes with temperature?
Yes, I was at 6200 Feet in Lake Tahoe CA. I used a digital guage and also an old fashhion guage to measure manually. At sea level I have always seen it either go up or down depending on what is going on. It's working fine now so if I take it in, they won't find anything....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.