Towing with your 2012 overland GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing with your 2012 overland GC

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
mountaineerfan

Towing with your 2012 overland GC

I've got a 29 ft travel trailer I've got to move approximately 280 miles pretty flat. It weights in around 6500 pounds and didn't seem to squat the jeep to much. So now I need a brake controller installed. What's the most you've pulled and suggestions on brake controller and placements.

mountaineerfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Most people in the RV forum I visit recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy. It's generally considered the best performer unless you want to spend $500 or more.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Tekonsha P3 with their pre-wired cable. 10 minute install. Works extremely well. Available from etrailer . com and other places.
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
mountaineerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA
Tekonsha P3 with their pre-wired cable. 10 minute install. Works extremely well. Available from etrailer . com and other places.
What all do you have to do to install? I figure I'd just have someone do it but if its that easy I'd rather save the money.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Install is easy on the JGC if you have factory towing because there is a connector provided. Prior to MY14, the connector is down near the parking brake peddle. When I bought my P3, I also bought the prewired cable that had the Jeep connector on one and and the controller connector on the other. At that point, any installation time revolved around mounting the unit...about ten minutes for me. (The MY14 apparently has a Mopar controller becoming available and the integration points are up closer to the steering column)

Some folks don't prefer to position like I did, so in that case, they can use the connector pigtail that came with their JGC and the connector pigtail that comes with the controller and splice in whatever length of cable they need to put the controller where they want to. Some put it in the center stack lower compartment so it's hidden away when the little door is closed.

Unread 04-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
mountaineerfan

Cool thanks!
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
mountaineerfan

Got the trailer brake I installed it myself with plug and took it out for a spin. I was very surprised with my results, I went from towing with the f150 Eco boost and was very pleased. Now then I just need some extended mirror attachments.
image-3363610588.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.