Towing MPG... Good Lord!! LOL - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing MPG... Good Lord!! LOL

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
WvTaco
2011 WK 

screw everyone else, im not in a race. my days of flying everywhere is over, been pulled over 25 time ( i think maybe a time or two more). im a much calmer driver since i have slowed down too.
even driving 53 miles to work the speed limit vs 10 over is 4 minutes. at least that is what i have timed.

WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
gooberphx420

Guys, thanks to all for the input. Again, I was truly just astonished at the MPG and wanted to be sure I didn't have a bad Grand Cherokee, lol.

I'll be managing the gears myself to control temps, and following the speed limits!

After all, what's 3 extra hours on a 30 hr trip? Lol
gooberphx420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
mswlogo

I wonder if you put an air foil on the Jeep like the 18 wheelers do if it would help.

Check Tire Pressures on Trailer and Truck. They have a huge impact on MPG. I run mine at 40 PSI.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
gooberphx420

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I wonder if you put an air foil on the Jeep like the 18 wheelers do if it would help.

Check Tire Pressures on Trailer and Truck. They have a huge impact on MPG. I run mine at 40 PSI.
LOL the Jeep would be so baller with an air foil.

And yep, I'll be torquing all lugs and checking pressures before I hit the road for sure.
gooberphx420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Yea, towing is a different ball-game and I'd also go slower than 70, even if it was the posted limit. Too much risk, especially with a larger trailer and anything with a substantial "wind" component to it's characteristics.
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #21
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I love rehashing old threads, so:
I hauled my Ranger 500 w/ plow on my 6 x 15 open trailer last week, behind our '12 V6 Laredo X. I'd guess the weight between 2500 and 3000 lbs, so not max weight. And it's an open trailer, but the back ramp is like a dang airbrake, so it really drags, even when empty. It was part back roads, part highway, and I averaged 14.5 mpg.

It pulled very well, had no power issues, and braking was fine. However, due to being lighter than my Avalanche, I noticed a lot more sway from wind. And I think I may get a drawbar with a little drop to it. My Avy's hitch actually sits lower, and the trailer angle is perfect. On the WK2, it's so high, the jack barely goes up enough to mount it. The trailer leans back a little, so there's less weight on the ball, which could be part of the swaying issue, though it was never out of control. Another drawback to the lighter weight was braking on roads that were unplowed. The trailer wanted to push me a bit, where the Avy could care less on worse roads.

Save for those little issues, I was pretty happy with it. Definitely does better than our old '02 GC ever did, lol. I think I will stick to the Avy when the roads are bad, but in good weather the Jeep can save me a little gas! I think longer highway trips I could do a little better than 14.5
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The tire sidewall has a lot to do with the sway feeling. I noticed XL rated tires are more stable than OEMs. Wheelbase is next, I think the Avalanche has a longer wheelbase. You would expect it to tow better.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Depending on the weight of the trailer alone, you could average about that. I'm actually a little surprised that you're getting that bad of gas mileage with a 6.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #24
zr2s10
2012 WK 

yeah, that probably didn't help. I should've mentioned our WK2 has Winter tires on 17" WK rims, while my Avy runs Cooper Discoverer STT mud tires (LT rated). They're heavily worn, so I was surprised it runs as well as it does in the snow, but the LT definitely helps swaying. My dad runs P series on his Tahoe, and that thing sways under almost any trailer load. Once the Stock Michelins on the WK2 wear down, I'm going to put a heavier all-terrain on the 18" Stock wheels. That will probably help a great deal with swaying. It wasn't unmanageable or unsafe, just not as steady as the Avy. Though I didn't expect it to be, lol, just an observation.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgeek789 View Post
Depending on the weight of the trailer alone, you could average about that. I'm actually a little surprised that you're getting that bad of gas mileage with a 6.
My weight estimate is including the trailer. Ranger and plow are only about 1200-1300 lbs. Ranger dry weight is ~1000 lbs, and I added a 6' plow and winch setup. I didn't think that was too bad considering the weight and the roads I was on. The "part highway" I was on is mostly PA rural highway. Which is 2 lanes, so stopping for others turning off, and lots of hills to climb. And about a 2 mile stretch of I-80. I think if it was all on an interstate, I could get it up a bit, but not much.
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

zr2s10, you really do need to get a ball mount that puts your ball height at the proper place to tow "level". While it will not make a "huge" difference, it will add a little more to the margin of stability and if your trailer has two axils, it's even more important so that weight is distributed more evenly on them.

For both of my trailers (a light-weight 2 horse trailer and a 5'x8' utility trailer) I'm good with a 4" drop with my JGC. But each trailer is different so it's best to measure up from the ground to get the proper ball height by having your trailer on a level surface and sitting at level or ever so slightly nose high on the jack. Take that measurement to determine what drop you need on your ball mount to get about the same height at the back of your Jeep for that particular trailer. I happen to keep two ball mounts because each of my trailers has a different ball size requirement.
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #27
06_footy
1977 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
I get 17 - 20 mpg towing a 8x16 trailer with Miata, 2 sets of racetires on a rack (has some big wind resistance) and other gear loaded inside my WK. As I have to tow frequently I bought a CRD specifically for the huge fuel savings when towing.
Yeah I have hilly terrain around me but towing with the wife's 2011 WK2 It's still a manageable 17+ mpg. That's in heavy traffic but I also do not drive like it stole it either.
Stock
06_footy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #28
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Since I drive a ZJ, good gas mileage is fantasy to me. I get about 14 average, with nothing on tow. But, I could care less.
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
zr2s10, you really do need to get a ball mount that puts your ball height at the proper place to tow "level". While it will not make a "huge" difference, it will add a little more to the margin of stability and if your trailer has two axils, it's even more important so that weight is distributed more evenly on them.

For both of my trailers (a light-weight 2 horse trailer and a 5'x8' utility trailer) I'm good with a 4" drop with my JGC. But each trailer is different so it's best to measure up from the ground to get the proper ball height by having your trailer on a level surface and sitting at level or ever so slightly nose high on the jack. Take that measurement to determine what drop you need on your ball mount to get about the same height at the back of your Jeep for that particular trailer. I happen to keep two ball mounts because each of my trailers has a different ball size requirement.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a drop hitch. Maybe go with an adjustable one, but the three trailers I have access too (my dad has 2) all seem to be close to the same tongue height. I may just keep the drop hitch with the Jeep and my standard with the Avy, instead of switching back and forth.

And the only trailer I will likely ever use with the Jeep is my open trailer for the Ranger or my Scrambler. My dad has a big dual axle equipment/car trailer, and a dual axle dump. Both can easily exceed the Jeeps tow rating. That's what my full-size truck is for, lol. I do find it odd though, that all three are so close in tongue height. The dump is a bit high (my dad put bigger tires and axles on it), but the big trailer is very close to my little trailer. And all of them use 2" ball.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.