Towing capacity & Transmission Temperatures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing capacity & Transmission Temperatures

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
bluehorizons
2011 WK 

Towing capacity & Transmission Temperatures

Hi folks. A couple questions I am hoping someone can answer please. Firstly, what are the determining factors in calculating towing capacity for vehicles? How much of it is torque / hp vs vehicle weight, frame strength, etc? Secondly, what drives transmission temps? I recently towed and watched the trans temp pretty closely and didn't really see any major variances from my non-towing driving, with the exception of when trying to back up with the loaded trailer up a hill. Thanks in advance.

bluehorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Kev M
2012 WK 

Lawyers and perceived potential liability plays a huge part as identical vehicles often carry higher limits outside the US.

Brakes and suspensions are included in the logic as well.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
LouC
2007 WK 

Can't answer how they calculate tow ratings but I know the thing that drives up trans temps is when the torque converter slips on take off. So stop n go driving where the torque converter does not lock up will really heat the trans fluid. When I towed our boat with my 98 ZJ I locked out overdrive to allow the converter to lock up in third.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.