Tow Package Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Package Question

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G
Thank you for your opinion, however I have been bit before for not asking enough questions or providing all of the information on my intended use of a vehicle. Bottom line it does not matter if the vehicle is capable of towing 10,000 pounds, if Chrysler is only going to warranty it for 5,000 lbs then that is my limit until the 100,000 mile power train warranty expires. How many parameters does the ECU record? Can Chrysler tell you were towing when a failure happened. Considering what a PITA it is just to get Chrysler to do warranty work, I'd hate to be 1,000 lbs over a limit and needing a new engine and transmission... Even if towing was not the cause of the failure you can bet Chrysler will use that fact to wiggle out of warranty work.
Perhaps but they certainly can't tell how much you were towing.

spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt

What is your GCWR?
10Xk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #33
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
What sometimes happens is a dealer will notice what you are towing an make a note on your VIN record. There have been a couple transfer warranty claims denied because the vehicle had an oversize tire note. The note got placed when they had to stop at an out of town dealer for an unrelated emergency repair.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #34
maverick12

Our dealer said they would install the receiver for $750 (same price as the towing package) on any of the non-towing package units they had in inventory. I'm sure it could be done elsewhere for much less, but we opted to order ours with the tow package to get the load leveling shocks, full size spare and extra cooling. I have a truck for towing, so I doubt we will tow much, if ever with the GC. Since we downsized from a Tahoe, however, I think it is likely that we will use a receiver rack which will likely be pretty weighted down so the load leveling shocks should help there.
maverick12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #35
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick12
Our dealer said they would install the receiver for $750 (same price as the towing package) on any of the non-towing package units they had in inventory. I'm sure it could be done elsewhere for much less, but we opted to order ours with the tow package to get the load leveling shocks, full size spare and extra cooling. I have a truck for towing, so I doubt we will tow much, if ever with the GC. Since we downsized from a Tahoe, however, I think it is likely that we will use a receiver rack which will likely be pretty weighted down so the load leveling shocks should help there.
What a rip off!!! I spend $240 on the receiver and installed in my driveway in less than 1 hour.
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #36
canistel
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
What a rip off!!! I spend $240 on the receiver and installed in my driveway in less than 1 hour.
Did you need to buy wiring? I just called for a quote on an aftermarket receiver and the guy said it would be $240 - $250 for the hitch and another $80 on wiring. Seems a little steep on the wiring , I thought our jeeps (mine is laredo / base package) came with all the wiring needed??
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #37
drcoopster
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
Did you need to buy wiring? I just called for a quote on an aftermarket receiver and the guy said it would be $240 - $250 for the hitch and another $80 on wiring. Seems a little steep on the wiring , I thought our jeeps (mine is laredo / base package) came with all the wiring needed??
The wiring is there but they still need to hook it up.
drcoopster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #38
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
The wiring is there but they still need to hook it up.
The wiring is there if you have a 2014, you physically plug it into a separate electrical connector that clips into the hitch assembly. The dealer just has to "activate" it in the computer.

No reason to go aftermarket... The Mopar one is less expense and a much cleaner install...
Unread 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Good read about towing liability

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/tow...and-liability/
10Xk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #40
bobafettt
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
great read...thank you
bobafettt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.