Tow Package Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 06-19-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
spinxt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G
Thank you for your opinion, however I have been bit before for not asking enough questions or providing all of the information on my intended use of a vehicle. Bottom line it does not matter if the vehicle is capable of towing 10,000 pounds, if Chrysler is only going to warranty it for 5,000 lbs then that is my limit until the 100,000 mile power train warranty expires. How many parameters does the ECU record? Can Chrysler tell you were towing when a failure happened. Considering what a PITA it is just to get Chrysler to do warranty work, I'd hate to be 1,000 lbs over a limit and needing a new engine and transmission... Even if towing was not the cause of the failure you can bet Chrysler will use that fact to wiggle out of warranty work.
Perhaps but they certainly can't tell how much you were towing.

spinxt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 40 Old 06-22-2014, 07:46 AM
10Xk
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt

Perhaps but they certainly can't tell how much you were towing.
What is your GCWR?
10Xk is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old 06-22-2014, 08:59 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 7,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
Perhaps but they certainly can't tell how much you were towing.
What sometimes happens is a dealer will notice what you are towing an make a note on your VIN record. There have been a couple transfer warranty claims denied because the vehicle had an oversize tire note. The note got placed when they had to stop at an out of town dealer for an unrelated emergency repair.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #34 of 40 Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
maverick12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 2
Our dealer said they would install the receiver for $750 (same price as the towing package) on any of the non-towing package units they had in inventory. I'm sure it could be done elsewhere for much less, but we opted to order ours with the tow package to get the load leveling shocks, full size spare and extra cooling. I have a truck for towing, so I doubt we will tow much, if ever with the GC. Since we downsized from a Tahoe, however, I think it is likely that we will use a receiver rack which will likely be pretty weighted down so the load leveling shocks should help there.
maverick12 is offline  
post #35 of 40 Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
spinxt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick12
Our dealer said they would install the receiver for $750 (same price as the towing package) on any of the non-towing package units they had in inventory. I'm sure it could be done elsewhere for much less, but we opted to order ours with the tow package to get the load leveling shocks, full size spare and extra cooling. I have a truck for towing, so I doubt we will tow much, if ever with the GC. Since we downsized from a Tahoe, however, I think it is likely that we will use a receiver rack which will likely be pretty weighted down so the load leveling shocks should help there.
What a rip off!!! I spend $240 on the receiver and installed in my driveway in less than 1 hour.
spinxt is offline  
post #36 of 40 Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM
canistel
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
What a rip off!!! I spend $240 on the receiver and installed in my driveway in less than 1 hour.
Did you need to buy wiring? I just called for a quote on an aftermarket receiver and the guy said it would be $240 - $250 for the hitch and another $80 on wiring. Seems a little steep on the wiring , I thought our jeeps (mine is laredo / base package) came with all the wiring needed??
canistel is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
drcoopster
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
Did you need to buy wiring? I just called for a quote on an aftermarket receiver and the guy said it would be $240 - $250 for the hitch and another $80 on wiring. Seems a little steep on the wiring , I thought our jeeps (mine is laredo / base package) came with all the wiring needed??
The wiring is there but they still need to hook it up.
drcoopster is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
spinxt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
The wiring is there but they still need to hook it up.
The wiring is there if you have a 2014, you physically plug it into a separate electrical connector that clips into the hitch assembly. The dealer just has to "activate" it in the computer.

No reason to go aftermarket... The Mopar one is less expense and a much cleaner install...
spinxt is offline  
post #39 of 40 Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM
10Xk
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,092
10Xk is offline  
post #40 of 40 Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
bobafettt
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
great read...thank you
bobafettt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome