Tow Package Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Package Question

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverb View Post
Anyone know if the VIN code will tell me if I have the tow package with rear load leveling? I have the hitch and 7 pin, but I don't believe I have the leveling suspension. I have a 3500 dully for real towing, I was just curious if my oil burner GC had it
Yes, you can go to the Jeep owners web page, register if you haven't already and print a build list which will list all the installed equipment.

Also any Jeep or Chrysler parts counter can look up the equipment for the VIN. Thats how they tell tey are getting the right parts for the vehicle.

Unread 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

If it came from the factory with the hitch installed, then it has the tow package. And yes, your build sheet should tell you what it was equipped with at manufacture.
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
diverb

Thanks, I figured it must be the tow package since it has the class III hitch, and both the 7&4 pin pig tail for trailer lights
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

If it looks like this, it's most likely factory installed. (It's possible to install the hitch, itself, post purchase, but the number of folks who do that is likely low)

Unread 06-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverb View Post
Thanks, I figured it must be the tow package since it has the class III hitch, and both the 7&4 pin pig tail for trailer lights
The class III hitch and 7 & 4 pin plugs are easily installed by the dealer. Don't let the look fool you. Unless, you have the corresponding load leveling suspension ect. then you do not have a "factory" setup. From my cost analysis it cost way too much in parts and labor for a dealer to install the full package and most (when customers demand tow capability) will just slap the MOPAR hitch and activate the wire harness. (This is what they did to my Summit.)

You have to check your build sheet to determine. I think both the 4X4 and Hemi also come with the full sized steel spare. 4X4 higher end all come with air suspension and Hemis come with the HD engine cooler. I think Summits come with the higher power alternator. So you can't just look for one of these add-ons to determine if you have the full setup or not. (Unless you have a 4X4 Summit which all come with tow kit standard.)
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G View Post
(Unless you have a 4X4 Summit which all come with tow kit standard.)
Except exports, they don't seem to include tow kits on as standard.
Unread 06-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
diverb

I'll check the window sticker when I get home, I can't wait to drive it again. I only drove it for 2wks after I purchased it before I left for my 9 month desert camping trip. I should be hearing something back from BANKS soon.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #23
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

I have the tow pkg and you need to check for full size spare...Indeed most jeep limited did not have it.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #24
RavenJeep
2014 WK 

My 14 Altitude did NOT come with a tow package. The dealer installed the receiver and now it looks like pic above.
RavenJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #25
Ken-G
2014 WK 

If you let the dealer install the hitch it is going to look stock. On my Summit it is hidden behind the removable panel just like it would come from factory... But it is missing all of the remaining components (load leveling suspension, HD engine cooler and full size steel spare) that makes up the remainder of the kit.

I only got into checking out the capability of my tow hitch when I considered buying a camping trailer from a friend. The trailer was about 5,500 lbs dry (add consumables for a camping trip and it close to a 6,000 lbs trailer.) Of course the dealer quoted 6,200 lbs per my manual. I called Chrysler and the first customer rep also quoted 6,200 until I asked about warranty repairs that arise as a result of towing. She put me on hold then a supervisor got on the line and stated that only factory tow kits are rated to 6,200 lbs. Dealer tow kits are only rated to 5,000 lbs and hauling a 6,000 lbs trailer would void my powertrain warranty.

Needless to say I passed on a trailer I could not tow.
Unread 06-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G
If you let the dealer install the hitch it is going to look stock. On my Summit it is hidden behind the removable panel just like it would come from factory... But it is missing all of the remaining components (load leveling suspension, HD engine cooler and full size steel spare) that makes up the remainder of the kit. I only got into checking out the capability of my tow hitch when I considered buying a camping trailer from a friend. The trailer was about 5,500 lbs dry (add consumables for a camping trip and it close to a 6,000 lbs trailer.) Of course the dealer quoted 6,200 lbs per my manual. I called Chrysler and the first customer rep also quoted 6,200 until I asked about warranty repairs that arise as a result of towing. She put me on hold then a supervisor got on the line and stated that only factory tow kits are rated to 6,200 lbs. Dealer tow kits are only rated to 5,000 lbs and hauling a 6,000 lbs trailer would void my powertrain warranty. Needless to say I passed on a trailer I could not tow.
It seems to me you provided way too much info to them. The fact if the matter is the structure of the GC is such that it can tow 6200 or 7400 lbs (depending on the engine). If you opt for the HEMI you're already getting the bigger radiator and bigger brakes, so really all you're missing is the load leveling rear shocks (which are an easy add on)
spinxt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #27
esimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA
If it looks like this, it's most likely factory installed. (It's possible to install the hitch, itself, post purchase, but the number of folks who do that is likely low)
I'm one of those folks. I installed mine post purchase, Mopar hitch, bezel, etc and end result, looks exactly like the picture from Jim in PA. Except my Jeep is red.
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #28
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

I didn't mean to imply that the OEM hitch wasn't installed after-market; just that the "majority" of OEM hitches are likely there from the factory. The only way to know for sure is to pull a build sheet or check the window sticker if it's available to see if factory tow was part of the original assembly.
Unread 06-19-2014, 04:09 AM   #29
smljeep
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenJeep View Post
My 14 Altitude did NOT come with a tow package. The dealer installed the receiver and now it looks like pic above.
If you don't mind me asking how much did the dealer charge?
Thanks.

Building high performance custom homes at Smith Mt. lake, VA!
www.PDandM.com
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #30
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
It seems to me you provided way too much info to them. The fact if the matter is the structure of the GC is such that it can tow 6200 or 7400 lbs (depending on the engine). If you opt for the HEMI you're already getting the bigger radiator and bigger brakes, so really all you're missing is the load leveling rear shocks (which are an easy add on)
Thank you for your opinion, however I have been bit before for not asking enough questions or providing all of the information on my intended use of a vehicle.

Bottom line it does not matter if the vehicle is capable of towing 10,000 pounds, if Chrysler is only going to warranty it for 5,000 lbs then that is my limit until the 100,000 mile power train warranty expires.

How many parameters does the ECU record? Can Chrysler tell you were towing when a failure happened. Considering what a PITA it is just to get Chrysler to do warranty work, I'd hate to be 1,000 lbs over a limit and needing a new engine and transmission... Even if towing was not the cause of the failure you can bet Chrysler will use that fact to wiggle out of warranty work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.