Tow Package Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Package Question

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
spinxt

Tow Package Question

Can the tow package be a dealer installed option? I noticed when looking at 14' limited models many don't have the tow package. I'm skeptical the dealer installed option wouldn't include all the features of the factory installed option.

spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Ken-G
2014 WK 

The tow hitch can be dealer installed and is the most often install with dealers calling them "tow packages." However, it is not the entire package and you will be missing the load leveling shocks, upgraded alternator and transmission cooler.

The entire package can be ordered and installed by the dealer, but it is WAY more expensive then getting the package from the factory and there seems to be a national shortage of the MOPAR load leveling suspension.

There are disagreements on weight class. My dealer says they are good for 6,200 lbs but Chrysler says just the hitch is only good for 5,000 lbs.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
spinxt

The 2014 V6 is rated at 6,200lbs and the V8 is rated at 7,200lbs on the jeep website. Not sure where you're getting 5,000
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
The 2014 V6 is rated at 6,200lbs and the V8 is rated at 7,200lbs on the jeep website. Not sure where you're getting 5,000
They (Jeep) used to differentiate between models that came from the factory with the tow group and those with the add on hitch accessory. I think they just spec the tow package today and don't seem to mention the add on. WK2s with the add on hitch used to be rated at 5000 lbs regardless. So there is some confusion. If you plan to tow a lot, get the factory installed tow group. The V6 will have a larger capacity V8 radiator installed, you will have all the wiring installed as well as activated..
Unread 06-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
That's for factory installed tow packages. Aftermarket install, including with the OEM parts, generally has had a lower limit historically.
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Usually when you go over 5,000 lbs., you need to have a weight distribution hitch and bars. The receiver on the Jeep is only rated for 5,000 lbs. without them.
Unread 06-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
bobafettt
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC6855 View Post
Usually when you go over 5,000 lbs., you need to have a weight distribution hitch and bars. The receiver on the Jeep is only rated for 5,000 lbs. without them.
You also get upgraded brakes with the tow package
bobafettt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
esimp

To the OPs question, yes it seems finding a 14 with the tow package is a bit hard to do. For what it's worth I installed the Mopar hitch after the fact, cut into the bumper just like the tow package would be. But therefore I don't have load leveling shocks.

Pulling the 4-5k pound boat/trailer around this spring/early summer there is no perceptible trans temp change. 2 degrees F at most vs non towing. (I have v8). Brakes are fine (trailer has disc brakes anyway). Tongue weight on my trailer is around 200-250 lbs. Rear suspension drops about an inch. I might install load leveling shocks in a couple years.

The world won't end if you don't have the factory tow at least in the 4,000-5,000 pound range.
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
redddog

What do the load-leveling shocks do for the overall ride? Is it a stiffer ride? And can they be added later? Expensive?
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #10
Ken-G
2014 WK 

They do exactly what they say, as you increase the load on the rear end instead of sagging through a hydro-pneumatic system that pumps more fluid into the shocks they maintain the same level.

Yes they can be added after the fact, but currently only the MOPAR shocks as Jeep has a unique mounting clamp. I've checked with my local after-market guy and currently no one makes load leveling shocks for the '14 WK2s.

Yes they are more expensive about $250 per shock, if you can find them.
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #11
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
I called Chrysler as they state 6,200 labs when appropriately equipped. According to Chrysler appropriately equipped means "tow package from the factory." Dealer tow add-ons are limited to 5,000 lbs.
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt View Post
You also get upgraded brakes with the tow package
Not according to Chrysler. This is the group;

" 7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Delete Rear Tow Hook
Full Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Normal Duty Suspension
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Unread 06-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Ken, it depends upon the trim level...some trim includes the beefier brakes already.
Unread 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #14
bobafettt
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G View Post
Not according to Chrysler. This is the group;

" 7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Delete Rear Tow Hook
Full Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Normal Duty Suspension
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
I stand corrected. On my window sticker it says:
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes
Anti-Lock brakes are equipped with electronic sensors that prevent wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking or slippery conditions.
This upgrade is actually part of the Hemi engine selection. I thought it was under the tow package which would make sense.
Thanks for the catch.
bobafettt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
diverb

Anyone know if the VIN code will tell me if I have the tow package with rear load leveling? I have the hitch and 7 pin, but I don't believe I have the leveling suspension. I have a 3500 dully for real towing, I was just curious if my oil burner GC had it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.