Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #61
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
I called Chrysler/Jeep and found someone who tracked it to ground. A GC that comes w/o the class IV Trailer Tow Group can still tow up to 6200 lbs and be fully covered by warranty. The GC should have the extra stuff that comes with the Tow Group to handle all situations, but with a Class III hitch rated only to 5000 lbs there should be no problems.
If that is the case what is the purpose of the tow group? I realize your repeating what they told you but if that is truly the case everyone would be skipping the tow group and just having a hitch installed.

loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #62
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Same company two different answers depending on who talked to who.

Makes me feel really good about the towing options on these vehicles.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #63
MisterMike

I think the tow weight confusion may be because the 2013 GC Limited had two optional tow groups. One was a class III tow group (pretty much just the hitch and load leveling shocks) allowing 5000 lb trailer load, and the second was the class IV tow group (lots of stuff) that was only available with the V-8 engine (allowing 6800 lbs).

Now, the 2014 GC Limited has only one tow group option available, the Class IV group (with all the stuff), and it now appears to be available for the V-6 (allowing 6200 lbs) and the V-8 (allowing 7400 lbs). Note the load capacity increase from 2013.

Since the class III tow group is no longer offered I'm wondering if the 2014 GC Limited (without the class IV tow group) rear suspension has been beefed up some and no longer needs the load leveling shocks to haul a properly balanced 5000 lb trailer with just the addition of the class III hitch.

I "think" I have been told by a Chrysler/Jeep person the answer is "YES".
MisterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #64
rs153719

Dealer installed my tow package last week and I'm not sure what I think about their wiring job. They ran the plastic housing straight down from the box then down the bottom passenger side of the jeep using zip ties. This is by far easier than running it through the cab but the hosing is exposed. I can even see it looking into the wheel well. Any thoughts?
rs153719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #65
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs153719 View Post
Dealer installed my tow package last week and I'm not sure what I think about their wiring job. They ran the plastic housing straight down from the box then down the bottom passenger side of the jeep using zip ties. This is by far easier than running it through the cab but the hosing is exposed. I can even see it looking into the wheel well. Any thoughts?
That seems kind of odd... Have a pic? Mine had the harness from the factory, and it runs under the center of the Jeep the whole way to the back. When I added the hitch and connector to mine, the wire was right there and just had to plug it in. Oh, and then had to get it flashed at the dealer, which I finally got done. Had it in for some warranty work (crazy key issue), and talked them down to $50 instead of $95. Much more agreeable. Now I can finally haul my Ranger without burning a ton of gas in my truck, lol.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #66
MisterMike

I had my dealer install the same receiver hitch and wiring harness that comes with the factory installed tow kit. They flashed to memory also. Its fully integrated into the rear bumper. I see no wires running anywhere and it seems transparent. It works fine.
MisterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #67
keperman
2014 WK 

Question hitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
When we bought our Laredo X, they initially said 250 for the hitch. That turned into 800 doing the paperwork so I told him no way. That only included the hitch and harness, no special shocks or anything else like the factory install. I'm going to buy mine from justforjeeps.com and install it myself. I also don't plan on hauling anything heavier than my quad with it. My Avalanche would do a better job hauling a car anyway, lol.
Did you have good luck installing the factory hitch?
keperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #68
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keperman View Post
Did you have good luck installing the factory hitch?
Yeah, it's not too bad if you have much mechanical experience. The instructions are pretty clear, but there are some things they don't mention. Like how to remove the bumper cover, lol. They show where the bolts are, but don't mention the edges snap in, and where. Some gentle prying with cardboard behind the blade to protect paint will help with that. Also, they include some plastic rivets that hold the bumper cover and wheel well cover together. You need the proper tool for that. I was fortunate that we had one at work. If you can't find/borrow one, you'll have to find an alternative to that.

The worst part was cutting out the bumper cover where the trim piece goes on. They have lines on the inside to show where you need to cut, which is nice. But the plastic is pretty tough to cut. I would recommend cutting in with a drywall razor knife, then using a drywall saw (thin, pointy, jagged kind) to cut just inside your lines. Then use the drywall razor knife to clean up the edges up the line.

I was fortunate that the wiring was already there, with the plug for 7/4 pin adapter right behind the old bumper. If you don't have that, you'll have some wiring to do. I'll try to remember to post some pics later tonight. Took a bunch when I did it, but forgot to put them up.

Finally, I had to have the BCM reprogrammed at the dealer. It's normally $90, but since I had it in for warranty work, and bought it there, they cut it down to $50. Still BS, in my opinion, but better than having to buy an aftermarket harness, and I still have the factory look.
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #69
keperman
2014 WK 

thanks. I have the diesel and it looks like the only hitch that will work is the MOPAR hitch. The DEF tank takes up a lot of space. I have some ability, but if the wife comes out while I have her bumper cover off......
keperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #70
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Lol, yeah, mine knew what was going in, so she opted to stay in the house, lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.