Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #46
Justal13
2012 WK 

If you just want lights (tail, brake, flasher), you can cut and splice and make it work. If you want the full capability (4-pin, 7-pin with brake controller and proper ground), you need to have it flashed. Again, ask your dealer nicely when you bring it in for some other warranty or service work and they may cut you a deal. Cop an attitude about how much it costs, and the price remains the same. If you buy the hitch and wiring kit from your dealer, or when you buy your new/used GC without the tow package and plan to add it yourself - write the flash into the deal. The GC is highly electronic, including the blinkers, etc. The flash tells the vehicle (and Chrysler/Jeep) that you have a hitch and the OEM wiring package on the vehicle. This adds it to the vehicle warranty, and tells all the on-board systems (including the transmission) that it is there. Do you really need to do it, no. Does it make sense to do it, probably - even for $90. Shop around, some dealers may charge less.

Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #47
Jeep360CID
2013 WK 

Just installed a hitch on my 2013 GC, and I got to say it was pretty easy! 2 1/2 hrs start to finish. Got the receiver from Just for Jeeps for $192.80 with the bezel and necessary hardware. I was a little skeptical of removing the rear facia myself but came off and went back together pretty easy. The instructions were dead on. The only thing is that I had to buy a plastic rivet gun to put in the new plastic rivets you remove and you have to remove to rear tire to set two of the rivets. Checked under the vehicle and the socket to plug in the light harness is there. ( harness on back order and that is a desperate part ) haven't checked out how much a dealer will charge to flash the ECM. I really just need the receiver to carry my bikes.
image-19865176.jpg

image-544609395.jpg

Jeep360CID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #48
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

I'm installing my hitch today. I picked up my hitch at the dealer and asked them very politely if they could work with me on the $100 flash. They came down to $ 75 very happy they treated me so well.

I tried to order the hitch several other places but its on national back order. That's why i got it from the dealer, $253 with tax. Now waiting on my plug to come in from Just For Jeeps.
HEMIjeep360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #49
alan93
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIjeep360 View Post
I'm installing my hitch today. I picked up my hitch at the dealer and asked them very politely if they could work with me on the $100 flash. They came down to $ 75 very happy they treated me so well.

I tried to order the hitch several other places but its on national back order. That's why i got it from the dealer, $253 with tax. Now waiting on my plug to come in from Just For Jeeps.
Would love to see pics and know how long it took to install if you care to share.
alan93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #50
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

I will gladly document it for you.

Piece of cake. It took about 2 hours. Worst part was taking the bumper cover off.

Its very straight forward with no surprises. The only thing the directions left off was cutting out the two bottom center slits for the Bezel to clip into.

I'm just waiting for my 4 flat 7 round to get here on Wednesday.
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #51
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

Here are some pictures.

Guess they didn't attach.......I'll try later.
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #52
kloubik
2014 WK 

I installed Reese Towpower 44650 a couple of weeks ago. I would prefer the factory looks but my car is a lease and I did not want to cut the bumper. Paid $110 shipped and took about 40 minutes to instal including removing the rear tow hook. I never tow. I use it only for a bike rack. It sits lower than the factory one, on the other hand when my bike rack is not used and folded the tail lights and turn signals are still fully visible (which was causing me some concerns with my old WJ Grand Cherokee).
20130802_154519_hdr.jpg   20130803_143345_hdr.jpg  
20130802_154436_hdr.jpg

kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #53
MisterMike

Dealer install hitch

My 2014 GC Limited does not have a trailer hitch. I am confused about the 2014 specs on towing weight. The "standard" spec is 6200 lbs, and the factory installed tow group is an option. So, can I assume if I have the dealer install the hitch my towing weight will be 6200 lbs?
MisterMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #54
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
My 2014 GC Limited does not have a trailer hitch. I am confused about the 2014 specs on towing weight. The "standard" spec is 6200 lbs, and the factory installed tow group is an option. So, can I assume if I have the dealer install the hitch my towing weight will be 6200 lbs?
In theory no, you are missing the load leveling shocks, heavy duty cooling, and the bigger alternator.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #55
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
May be missing HD brakes too. According to Jeep, you will have a 5000 lb capacity rating:

"All models can tow trailers up to 5,000 pounds with the addition of a trailer hitch. For towing heavier trailers up to the Maximum Trailer Weight Ratings shown below, the vehicle must be equipped with the class IV Trailer Tow Group.

3.0L V6 diesel models have a maximum towing capacity of 7,400 lbs (2WD or 4WD).
3.6L V6 models have a maximum towing capacity of 6,200-lbs (2WD or 4WD).
5.7L V8 models have a maximum towing capacity of 7,200 lbs (2WD) and 7,400 lbs (4WD).
6.4L V8 models have a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs."
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #56
MisterMike

Coldcase, where did you get the quote that "All models can tow up to 5000 lbs..."
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #57
MisterMike

If I understand this towing weight thing, the 2014 GC Limited can tow up to 6200 lbs with the class IV Trailer Tow Group installed at the factory. But if my GC Limited came without that option, then I'm limited to installing a Class III hitch which has a maximum towing weight spec of 5000 lbs and my "standard" GC Limited could handle that 5000 lb weight. Is this correct?
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #58
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Not sure where I got that quote, its been awhile, but the WK2Jeeps.com site has similar info.
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #59
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
If I understand this towing weight thing, the 2014 GC Limited can tow up to 6200 lbs with the class IV Trailer Tow Group installed at the factory. But if my GC Limited came without that option, then I'm limited to installing a Class III hitch which has a maximum towing weight spec of 5000 lbs and my "standard" GC Limited could handle that 5000 lb weight. Is this correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Not sure where I got that quote, its been awhile, but the WK2Jeeps.com site has similar info.
The dealer contacted MOPAR who stated this is the exact same towing hitch that comes as a factory option. However, MOPAR rates it as class III due to not having the rear leveling springs, and engine oil cooler. The upgraded alternator is recommended for towing with trailer brakes but is not required for full capacity.

If you have a Summit then you may have a tow package depending on time of build (early Summits it was an option later became standard.) There is a panel on the rear bumper that removes with two thumb screws from underneath than you carefully pull out and down. Once this panel it removed you will see your tow hitch and wiring. The Summit's tow hitch does not sit as far out as the Limited and below models.

If you don't have the thumb screws (on a Summit) then I would recommend the factory kit as the Summit needs to be adapted and my dealer had to send it to the body shop to do the work correctly. The same part others hack away and toss gets reused on the Summit.

Best of luck..
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #60
MisterMike

trailer tow weigth clarification

I called Chrysler/Jeep and found someone who tracked it to ground. A GC that comes w/o the class IV Trailer Tow Group can still tow up to 6200 lbs and be fully covered by warranty. The GC should have the extra stuff that comes with the Tow Group to handle all situations, but with a Class III hitch rated only to 5000 lbs there should be no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.