Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
tdbmd

Glad I found this thread. I found two different Laredos, the only difference being the hitch package was on one of them. I actually like the color on the one without the hitch (Maximum Steel) so was kind of bummed out about the hitch but it appears that the install of the factory hitch looks OK from the photo above? When they said cutting out the bumper, I had envisioned some kind of hatchet job. It appears to look the same as the one with the tow package. I don't anticipate towing any more than 3500 lbs, for sure. Usually just a bike carrier or hitch rack. I have a small 10 foot trailer and sometimes haul my 500 cc ATV.

tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
NYWk266

The hole is cut off with an air saw along a pattern on the inside of the bumper cover. You can also see the lines on the outside. Then a color matching plastic trim ring is snapped on to look 100% factory. Get the color you want and make them add the hitch as part of the deal. The wk2 sits so high in the rear I couldn't imagine actually needing the nivomat load leveling shocks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
NYWk266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
tdbmd

Thanks. I will try to work in the hitch install as part of the deal.
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
zr2s10
2012 WK 

When we bought our Laredo X, they initially said 250 for the hitch. That turned into 800 doing the paperwork so I told him no way. That only included the hitch and harness, no special shocks or anything else like the factory install. I'm going to buy mine from justforjeeps.com and install it myself. I also don't plan on hauling anything heavier than my quad with it. My Avalanche would do a better job hauling a car anyway, lol.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYWk266 View Post
The hole is cut off with an air saw along a pattern on the inside of the bumper cover. You can also see the lines on the outside. Then a color matching plastic trim ring is snapped on to look 100% factory. Get the color you want and make them add the hitch as part of the deal. The wk2 sits so high in the rear I couldn't imagine actually needing the nivomat load leveling shocks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Isn't that part of the bumper just grey plastic anyway? Or are Limited models painted there?
Also, when I put a factory hitch from a junkyard on my '02 GC, none of the junked Jeeps had the bumper cover, so I had to cut mine. They also had the lines molded in to the back of the piece, that show you where to cut it. I used a drywall knife on mine, so carefully doing that is an option if you don't have access to an air saw.
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Bought my hitch and end connector for our 2012 yesterday. Got the dealer talked down a bit on the hitch, and got both for 280 with tax, and it was in stock. I didn't have to buy the full harness, because ours has the plug behind the bumper.

My issue is: I plugged the connector into the plug, and hooked up my towing lights. They lit up, but won't blink with the turn signals or hazards. But the parts dept. said if the harness is there, the computer should be setup for it. So I asked the service dept, and they said it would be $90 just to flash the code for it! i asked why it cost $90 just to hook up the computer and change a code, and he said, "Well there's alot of work that needs to go into it". I asked him what was involved beyong plugging into the OBDII port and tapping a few buttons, and he just stared at me. I said, "Well?" and he just said, "Do you want it done or not? It's $90."

I told him no way was I paying that much for something that should have been done at the factory. But I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck doing that. Does anyone know of any other options? IMO $90 is absurd for 5 minutes work. But I called another dealer, and they said $95!
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #22
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
Bought my hitch and end connector for our 2012 yesterday. Got the dealer talked down a bit on the hitch, and got both for 280 with tax, and it was in stock. I didn't have to buy the full harness, because ours has the plug behind the bumper.

My issue is: I plugged the connector into the plug, and hooked up my towing lights. They lit up, but won't blink with the turn signals or hazards. But the parts dept. said if the harness is there, the computer should be setup for it. So I asked the service dept, and they said it would be $90 just to flash the code for it! i asked why it cost $90 just to hook up the computer and change a code, and he said, "Well there's alot of work that needs to go into it". I asked him what was involved beyong plugging into the OBDII port and tapping a few buttons, and he just stared at me. I said, "Well?" and he just said, "Do you want it done or not? It's $90."

I told him no way was I paying that much for something that should have been done at the factory. But I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck doing that. Does anyone know of any other options? IMO $90 is absurd for 5 minutes work. But I called another dealer, and they said $95!
I would just keep calling dealers, maybe go on for a oil change at the same time or something could knock the price down.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I was actually at the local dealer to have the compass put back in, it was not re-installed after it was fixed from when my wife hit a turkey. We also had them look at our glovebox lock too(another story). And that was when the guy just stared at me. I'm of the opinion that if the wiring harness was there, it should've been coded from the factory. I have to go to my purchased from dealer to take care of my glovebox, so I'll see if I can get it flashed under warranty.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
loveracing1988

Quote:
I was actually at the local dealer to have the compass put back in, it was not re-installed after it was fixed from when my wife hit a turkey. We also had them look at our glovebox lock too(another story). And that was when the guy just stared at me. I'm of the opinion that if the wiring harness was there, it should've been coded from the factory. I have to go to my purchased from dealer to take care of my glovebox, so I'll see if I can get it flashed under warranty.
But the complete harness wasn't there, it required the 7 and 4 pin connector to be installed, sure it should work from the factory but that is the way it has been since the 2011's. There is no possible way you will get it covered under warranty, your best bet is to find a dealer cheaper, some people have talked them down to a half hours labor but that is about it.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
alan93
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
That aftermarket hitch sure is a lot lower to the ground than the factory hitch. Not good for a 4X4.
What is this supposed to mean? And what if the trailer you are pulling is lower to the ground and the after market fits the trailer height better?
alan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan93 View Post

What is this supposed to mean? And what if the trailer you are pulling is lower to the ground and the after market fits the trailer height better?
That is why God invented drop hitches.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan93 View Post
If you off-road your Jeep (which 90% of GC owners won't), you don't want anything lower then your bumper that you might get hung up on. Of course, it would protect the bumper cover a little. But the factory setup is a way cleaner look as well.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
But the complete harness wasn't there, it required the 7 and 4 pin connector to be installed, sure it should work from the factory but that is the way it has been since the 2011's. There is no possible way you will get it covered under warranty, your best bet is to find a dealer cheaper, some people have talked them down to a half hours labor but that is about it.
I was trying to find more info on this, and noticed there is a tow/haul button on a GC equipped with a hitch. I'll have to call the dealer (not the same one) and see if they actually install that for that cost. If so, definitely worth the $90. But I'm doubting it.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #29
loveracing1988

Quote:

I was trying to find more info on this, and noticed there is a tow/haul button on a GC equipped with a hitch. I'll have to call the dealer (not the same one) and see if they actually install that for that cost. If so, definitely worth the $90. But I'm doubting it.
Only v8's have the Tow haul mode.
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Only v8's have the Tow haul mode.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. I just saw it listed on Jeeps website, and didn't notice anything saying it was specific to V8 models. Oh well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.