Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it?

12K views 69 replies 22 participants last post by  zr2s10 
#1 ·
I was a little dissapointed to look at the rear bumper of my '14 limited and see no tow kit. I tow on a fairly limited basis, but need it from time to time. I was assured at the dealership (I know, I know, they'll say anything to get you out the door) that the aftermarket install by Jeep looks just as it does from the factory...my question: has anyone been through it (I know that results will change by dealership, I'm in the North Shore MA area), but have you gotten good results...or horror stories?

#3 ·
Word of caution. Check owners manual on towing. Adding just a hitch may not be equivalent to the the factory tow package even if installed at the dealer. Factory package may include an external transmission cooler and different gear ratios. Even short trips pulling over what is recommended could drastically shorten the transmission life span.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I put on a factory tow kit on my 2010 and an aftermarket on my 2012 and 2013. The aftermarket one goes on SO easy! I towed a 3500 lb trailer from CA to ID with the 2012 V6 and it rode awesome! So far with my 2013 4x4 Hemi, I've only hauled a Moto Carrier, but you don't even feel it back there.

#9 ·
I purchased the Mopar hitch and wire harness and had it installed for about $475 (they guy said that he could never do it for that low again due to the cutting of the bumper, soldering into the wire harness, and reflashing the system to get the blinkers to work) and am very pleased. It looks stock and very clean. Like BobsWK2 said, the aftermarket hitch is no good for off-roading, due to it killing your angle of departure (but it will protect your bumper more if you were to hit something). If you don't plan on taking it off road and you don't mind the look of the hitch under the bumper, save yourself a couple hundred dollars and get the aftermarket.

#11 ·
Yes, hitch and wiring are the same if the dealer installs the OEM kit. However, for a very reasonable price from the factory you would have gotten:

V6 Trailer Tow Group IV $795
•7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
•Class IV Receiver Hitch
•Delete Rear Tow Hook
•Rear Load Leveling Suspension
•Full Size Spare Tire
•Steel Spare Wheel
•220-Amp Alternator
•Heavy Duty Engine Cooling

This package for the 2014 will give you 6,200 lb towing rating. On the 2011-13 models, the capacity is 5,000 lb. I guess if you don't need the capacity, doing the install after delivery by the dealer or an after-market hitch might be acceptable. Personally, I would not tow over 5,000 lb with the V6. And that is a push IMHO depending upon the frontal area of what you are towing. I always order the towing package from the factory, and on the GC the price/value is there considering all that is included.

#16 ·
Glad I found this thread. I found two different Laredos, the only difference being the hitch package was on one of them. I actually like the color on the one without the hitch (Maximum Steel) so was kind of bummed out about the hitch but it appears that the install of the factory hitch looks OK from the photo above? When they said cutting out the bumper, I had envisioned some kind of hatchet job. It appears to look the same as the one with the tow package. I don't anticipate towing any more than 3500 lbs, for sure. Usually just a bike carrier or hitch rack. I have a small 10 foot trailer and sometimes haul my 500 cc ATV.

#17 ·
The hole is cut off with an air saw along a pattern on the inside of the bumper cover. You can also see the lines on the outside. Then a color matching plastic trim ring is snapped on to look 100% factory. Get the color you want and make them add the hitch as part of the deal. The wk2 sits so high in the rear I couldn't imagine actually needing the nivomat load leveling shocks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#20 ·
Isn't that part of the bumper just grey plastic anyway? Or are Limited models painted there?
Also, when I put a factory hitch from a junkyard on my '02 GC, none of the junked Jeeps had the bumper cover, so I had to cut mine. They also had the lines molded in to the back of the piece, that show you where to cut it. I used a drywall knife on mine, so carefully doing that is an option if you don't have access to an air saw.

#19 ·
When we bought our Laredo X, they initially said 250 for the hitch. That turned into 800 doing the paperwork so I told him no way. That only included the hitch and harness, no special shocks or anything else like the factory install. I'm going to buy mine from justforjeeps.com and install it myself. I also don't plan on hauling anything heavier than my quad with it. My Avalanche would do a better job hauling a car anyway, lol.

#21 ·
Bought my hitch and end connector for our 2012 yesterday. Got the dealer talked down a bit on the hitch, and got both for 280 with tax, and it was in stock. I didn't have to buy the full harness, because ours has the plug behind the bumper.

My issue is: I plugged the connector into the plug, and hooked up my towing lights. They lit up, but won't blink with the turn signals or hazards. But the parts dept. said if the harness is there, the computer should be setup for it. So I asked the service dept, and they said it would be $90 just to flash the code for it! :mad: i asked why it cost $90 just to hook up the computer and change a code, and he said, "Well there's alot of work that needs to go into it". I asked him what was involved beyong plugging into the OBDII port and tapping a few buttons, and he just stared at me. I said, "Well?" and he just said, "Do you want it done or not? It's $90."

I told him no way was I paying that much for something that should have been done at the factory. But I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck doing that. Does anyone know of any other options? IMO $90 is absurd for 5 minutes work. But I called another dealer, and they said $95!

#22 ·
Bought my hitch and end connector for our 2012 yesterday. Got the dealer talked down a bit on the hitch, and got both for 280 with tax, and it was in stock. I didn't have to buy the full harness, because ours has the plug behind the bumper.

My issue is: I plugged the connector into the plug, and hooked up my towing lights. They lit up, but won't blink with the turn signals or hazards. But the parts dept. said if the harness is there, the computer should be setup for it. So I asked the service dept, and they said it would be $90 just to flash the code for it! :mad: i asked why it cost $90 just to hook up the computer and change a code, and he said, "Well there's alot of work that needs to go into it". I asked him what was involved beyong plugging into the OBDII port and tapping a few buttons, and he just stared at me. I said, "Well?" and he just said, "Do you want it done or not? It's $90."

I told him no way was I paying that much for something that should have been done at the factory. But I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck doing that. Does anyone know of any other options? IMO $90 is absurd for 5 minutes work. But I called another dealer, and they said $95!
I would just keep calling dealers, maybe go on for a oil change at the same time or something could knock the price down.

#23 ·
I was actually at the local dealer to have the compass put back in, it was not re-installed after it was fixed from when my wife hit a turkey. We also had them look at our glovebox lock too(another story). And that was when the guy just stared at me. I'm of the opinion that if the wiring harness was there, it should've been coded from the factory. I have to go to my purchased from dealer to take care of my glovebox, so I'll see if I can get it flashed under warranty.

#24 ·
But the complete harness wasn't there, it required the 7 and 4 pin connector to be installed, sure it should work from the factory but that is the way it has been since the 2011's. There is no possible way you will get it covered under warranty, your best bet is to find a dealer cheaper, some people have talked them down to a half hours labor but that is about it.

#32 ·
Been discussed in the forums many times. The only way to get the trailer wiring to work is to have it flashed by a dealer with a Chrysler Scan Tool. Nobody else can do it. $90 is the going rate. Not many dealers are going to do it for free unless you had negotiated it into your purchase price. It is basically 1 hour of shop time at many dealerships. Perhaps if you have some other work done at the same time (oil change, 15K maintenance, etc) they might cut you some slack since it actually only takes about 20-30 minutes to do the scan. Perhaps if you take it in and tell them you are having some other problems that require a scan for your build date, they will throw it in. Here is a list of TSB's:

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

Another reason to get the GC with the factory towing package, because by the time you get done with all the fussing around, it is going to cost you more than the $595 (2011-2013 model invoice pricing) or $795 for the 2014 V6 models.

#33 ·
They didn't have any that we wanted with a hitch at the time, at any dealer in the area. And the dealer wanted $800 to put one on it, after initially telling me $250. I know a lot of the guys on the WK2 forums have the cash to throw around, but I have a tighter budget to stick to, and it pisses me off when dealers feel they have to put the screws to everyone just because they can. So I'll go without lights until there's a cheaper option, it's a matter of principle to me. I mostly planned to use it with a hitch hauler anyway.

#46 ·
If you just want lights (tail, brake, flasher), you can cut and splice and make it work. If you want the full capability (4-pin, 7-pin with brake controller and proper ground), you need to have it flashed. Again, ask your dealer nicely when you bring it in for some other warranty or service work and they may cut you a deal. Cop an attitude about how much it costs, and the price remains the same. If you buy the hitch and wiring kit from your dealer, or when you buy your new/used GC without the tow package and plan to add it yourself - write the flash into the deal. The GC is highly electronic, including the blinkers, etc. The flash tells the vehicle (and Chrysler/Jeep) that you have a hitch and the OEM wiring package on the vehicle. This adds it to the vehicle warranty, and tells all the on-board systems (including the transmission) that it is there. Do you really need to do it, no. Does it make sense to do it, probably - even for $90. Shop around, some dealers may charge less.

#47 ·
Just installed a hitch on my 2013 GC, and I got to say it was pretty easy! 2 1/2 hrs start to finish. Got the receiver from Just for Jeeps for $192.80 with the bezel and necessary hardware. I was a little skeptical of removing the rear facia myself but came off and went back together pretty easy. The instructions were dead on. The only thing is that I had to buy a plastic rivet gun to put in the new plastic rivets you remove and you have to remove to rear tire to set two of the rivets. Checked under the vehicle and the socket to plug in the light harness is there. ( harness on back order and that is a desperate part ) haven't checked out how much a dealer will charge to flash the ECM. I really just need the receiver to carry my bikes.

Attachments

#48 ·
I'm installing my hitch today. I picked up my hitch at the dealer and asked them very politely if they could work with me on the $100 flash. They came down to $ 75 :) very happy they treated me so well.

I tried to order the hitch several other places but its on national back order. That's why i got it from the dealer, $253 with tax. Now waiting on my plug to come in from Just For Jeeps.

#50 ·
I will gladly document it for you.

Piece of cake. It took about 2 hours. Worst part was taking the bumper cover off.

Its very straight forward with no surprises. The only thing the directions left off was cutting out the two bottom center slits for the Bezel to clip into.

I'm just waiting for my 4 flat 7 round to get here on Wednesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.