Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it?

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
fd12me

Tow Kit Install...Anyone been through it?

I was a little dissapointed to look at the rear bumper of my '14 limited and see no tow kit. I tow on a fairly limited basis, but need it from time to time. I was assured at the dealership (I know, I know, they'll say anything to get you out the door) that the aftermarket install by Jeep looks just as it does from the factory...my question: has anyone been through it (I know that results will change by dealership, I'm in the North Shore MA area), but have you gotten good results...or horror stories?

fd12me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
NYWk266

Just had the factory tow kit installed on my 2011 Laredo X. This included the hitch, trim plate and wiring harness. Looks 100% factory and cost about $400 installed. Added the jeep receiver plug and looks great. Don't go aftermarket add the factory tow kit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
NYWk266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Oteh302

Word of caution. Check owners manual on towing. Adding just a hitch may not be equivalent to the the factory tow package even if installed at the dealer. Factory package may include an external transmission cooler and different gear ratios. Even short trips pulling over what is recommended could drastically shorten the transmission life span.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Oteh302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
NYWk266

I believe all Wk2 come with a transmission cooler, maybe missing an oil cooler? But you are correct in that adding the package after the fact limits tow capacity to 3,500lbs. I believe because adding the hitch does not include the load leveling shocks.

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Oteh302

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYWk266 View Post
I believe all Wk2 come with a transmission cooler, maybe missing an oil cooler? But you are correct in that adding the package after the fact limits tow capacity to 3,500lbs. I believe because adding the hitch does not include the load leveling shocks.

I wasn't sure or not. I know our 98 Durango with 5.9 is only rated for 1500 or something ridiculous, without factory equipped.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Oteh302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
mx71
2013 WK 

I put on a factory tow kit on my 2010 and an aftermarket on my 2012 and 2013. The aftermarket one goes on SO easy! I towed a 3500 lb trailer from CA to ID with the 2012 V6 and it rode awesome! So far with my 2013 4x4 Hemi, I've only hauled a Moto Carrier, but you don't even feel it back there.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Dabitz

Here is how the aftermarket looks like if you want to go that way. Barely noticeable under the bumper cover. I wanted mine for a bike rack only so I wasn't going to spend +$400.

_dsc8918_small2.jpg
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
Here is how the aftermarket looks like if you want to go that way. Barely noticeable under the bumper cover. I wanted mine for a bike rack only so I wasn't going to spend +$400.

Attachment 626935
That aftermarket hitch sure is a lot lower to the ground than the factory hitch. Not good for a 4X4.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
gdash722
2013 WK 

I purchased the Mopar hitch and wire harness and had it installed for about $475 (they guy said that he could never do it for that low again due to the cutting of the bumper, soldering into the wire harness, and reflashing the system to get the blinkers to work) and am very pleased. It looks stock and very clean. Like BobsWK2 said, the aftermarket hitch is no good for off-roading, due to it killing your angle of departure (but it will protect your bumper more if you were to hit something). If you don't plan on taking it off road and you don't mind the look of the hitch under the bumper, save yourself a couple hundred dollars and get the aftermarket.
gdash722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
RUSH-2112
2014 WK 

Took almost 3hrs at the dealer with total cost of $575.00. Very stout class 4with no issues.
photo.jpg  
RUSH-2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Justal13
2012 WK 

Yes, hitch and wiring are the same if the dealer installs the OEM kit. However, for a very reasonable price from the factory you would have gotten:

V6 Trailer Tow Group IV $795
•7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
•Class IV Receiver Hitch
•Delete Rear Tow Hook
•Rear Load Leveling Suspension
•Full Size Spare Tire
•Steel Spare Wheel
•220-Amp Alternator
•Heavy Duty Engine Cooling

This package for the 2014 will give you 6,200 lb towing rating. On the 2011-13 models, the capacity is 5,000 lb. I guess if you don't need the capacity, doing the install after delivery by the dealer or an after-market hitch might be acceptable. Personally, I would not tow over 5,000 lb with the V6. And that is a push IMHO depending upon the frontal area of what you are towing. I always order the towing package from the factory, and on the GC the price/value is there considering all that is included.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Jason911
2008 WK 

would anyone know if the rear springs are different with/without factory tow package? i understand you get nivomat shocks and all the other goodies, but the the spring rates different?
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
mx71
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
That aftermarket hitch sure is a lot lower to the ground than the factory hitch. Not good for a 4X4.
It's actually come in handy for me. I was going up this little hill and being that I don't have skid plates, I would have ripped my bumper off, but I just scraped this instead. Pretty happy about it.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
NYWk266

I believe rear springs have to be different in order to be compatible with the Nivomats. At least that's how it was with my Challenger with the super trak pak and Nivomats.

Unread 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Jason911
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYWk266
I believe rear springs have to be different in order to be compatible with the Nivomats. At least that's how it was with my Challenger with the super trak pak and Nivomats.

Thanks for the info.
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.