Tow Hooks Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Hooks Install

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
gfviperman
2013 WK 

Tow Hooks Install

Have a 2013 Overland.

Will be installing Mopar Two hooks.

Has anyone done this?

Looks to be straight forward ... but one never knows.

Thankx!

gfviperman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't recall anyone posting instructions here but many have installed them. Just follow the instructions in the kit. They can be a PITA and takes about 2 hours if you are handy and things go right. Run all the bolts through all the nuts as you should with any mod kit. The nuts seem to be a PITA to get started and hold from turning, you don't want to be doing this twice just to clear threads.
Unread 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfviperman View Post
Have a 2013 Overland.

Will be installing Mopar Two hooks.

Has anyone done this?

Looks to be straight forward ... but one never knows.

Thankx!
Yes, very straight forward. As Coldcase said, just follow the instructions. Not a bad job at all.

I have to take mine out to install my RRO Bumper guard, but can't find the instructions from when I did mine. Could you post the torque values from the instructions?
FreeJersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
gfviperman
2013 WK 

16mm bolts - 35 ft lbs
18mm bolts - 35 ft. lbs
30mm bolts - 18 ft lbs

OK, now go make a movie!!LOL
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
gfviperman
2013 WK 

Got the two hooks from a friend who had to have his two hooks removed for a tow bar install.

Got everything except the spacers and the cover plate for the 18mm bolts.

If you can give me the size of the spacer and the dimensions of the cover plate, it would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfviperman View Post
Got the two hooks from a friend who had to have his two hooks removed for a tow bar install.

Got everything except the spacers and the cover plate for the 18mm bolts.

If you can give me the size of the spacer and the dimensions of the cover plate, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sure can...If you can wait until the spring..

I appreciate the torque values, but I have no intentions of tackling this job until it warms up a bit. Facing a blizzard tomorrow, then it looks like 2 weeks of sub freezing weather.
FreeJersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
PipesTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I don't recall anyone posting instructions here but many have installed them. Just follow the instructions in the kit. They can be a PITA and takes about 2 hours if you are handy and things go right. Run all the bolts through all the nuts as you should with any mod kit. The nuts seem to be a PITA to get started and hold from turning, you don't want to be doing this twice just to clear threads.
2 hours???? I've done a few Jeeps in about 30 minutes. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 with some simple hand tools.
'95 T/A, few doo-dads ;)
PipesTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you know what you are doing and have the dexterity and expertise maybe 45 minutes, if not at least 1 1/2 hours. 2 Hours seems to be the norm. Heck its 30 minutes just to gather up the tools
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
gfviperman
2013 WK 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKKz3_C0vrc

She's Hired!!!!
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:17 PM   #10
wyat72
2011 WK 

Interested in doing this on my Jeep as well. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by wyat72; 01-27-2015 at 01:34 PM..
wyat72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
JeepingNet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anyone consider doing the front tow hitch instead? In canada the hitch is actually the cheaper.
JeepingNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
lawdocjoe

All - my 2015 Altitude should arrive this week. The dealership is telling me that in order to install tow hooks, they will have to CUT the fascia. This makes NO SENSE to me. Can anyone help? Thanks.
lawdocjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
ChuckWag78

what do you guys use to pry out the little push button clips that hold the bumper? Any best practices for removing?

I always seem to break these things when I try prying with just a screwdriver.

Thanks
ChuckWag78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
DRKRED12

Go to one of your local parts store as they make a special tool. Looks like a two prong fork.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKRED12 View Post
Go to one of your local parts store as they make a special tool. Looks like a two prong fork.
Nay, nay. If you just try prying the clips you will break them for sure. I have not looked at the bumper clips yet, but the two types of clips I have seen so far on my 14 JGC are the type where you have to pry out the center core in order to release the clip, and the type where the center core is a small plastic pin you have to drive through to release the clip. If you don't remove the core sections the clip remains expanded and prying on it, even with the correct tool, will break it. The only type of clip you can just pry out is what is referred to as a Christmas tree clip ... these rely on the interferance fit created by numerous thin ribs that are perpendicular to the main core of the clip, rather than a center feature you push in to expand the back side of the clip.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.