Tough Time Finding Off-Road Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tough Time Finding Off-Road Tires

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Reply
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Muahaha141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Posts: 12
Tough Time Finding Off-Road Tires

I have 18x8.5 wheels on my Laredo X. All that matters is the height of the wheel. So I'd be able to get an 18x9.

However, it's extremely difficult to find a nice set of off-road tires that are either 18x8.5 or 18x9.

I have a dark grey Grand Cherokee and I need the rims to look good.

Has anyone else had trouble getting these size rims? If not, could someone help me?

Muahaha141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
starscream
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 487
I'm not sure what you're saying here. For a particular rim width, there is a wide range of tires in different widths that will fit.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
ericideman
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahaha141 View Post
I have 18x8.5 wheels on my Laredo X. All that matters is the height of the wheel. So I'd be able to get an 18x9.

However, it's extremely difficult to find a nice set of off-road tires that are either 18x8.5 or 18x9.

I have a dark grey Grand Cherokee and I need the rims to look good.

Has anyone else had trouble getting these size rims? If not, could someone help me?
Look back a few pages in the forum and find the "Wheel and Tire Thread" it should do the trick for you.
ericideman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,318
You DO NOT get a set of tires that are the same width as the rim. I believe the tires are about 10" or 11" wide overall on the WK2. Either use a calculator to figure out the dimensions of the factory tires and go from there, or stick with tires that are measured in metric that are the same size as the factory ones.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Muahaha141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
You DO NOT get a set of tires that are the same width as the rim. I believe the tires are about 10" or 11" wide overall on the WK2. Either use a calculator to figure out the dimensions of the factory tires and go from there, or stick with tires that are measured in metric that are the same size as the factory ones.
The stock wheels on my Laredo X are 18x8.5...I could get 18x9.
Muahaha141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,318
The Wheel Width does not correlate with the Tire width unless you are talking about getting new rims.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Muahaha141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
The Wheel Width does not correlate with the Tire width unless you are talking about getting new rims.
A rim is a wheel.

A tire is a tire.

I'm trying to find tough steel wheels that'll look good with my Jeep GC. I'm saying that it's extremely tough to find 18 inch off-road steel wheels/rims.
Muahaha141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,318
Actually, the wheel is a combination of the rim and tire. I have seen it used to refer to both the rim or tire as a seperate piece. Glad we got that clarified though. Have you tried looking at JK rims? They are the same bolt pattern, so all you need to do is find one with the desired specs made for a JK.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
starscream
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahaha141 View Post
A rim is a wheel.

A tire is a tire.

I'm trying to find tough steel wheels that'll look good with my Jeep GC. I'm saying that it's extremely tough to find 18 inch off-road steel wheels/rims.
Ahh.. you confused us all with the thread title and you said tire in your post. Now it makes sense. Try looking at tirerack.com.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Muahaha141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Actually, the wheel is a combination of the rim and tire. I have seen it used to refer to both the rim or tire as a seperate piece. Glad we got that clarified though. Have you tried looking at JK rims? They are the same bolt pattern, so all you need to do is find one with the desired specs made for a JK.
Sorry for the confusion. No I haven't. Does it matter what years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
Ahh.. you confused us all with the thread title and you said tire in your post. Now it makes sense. Try looking at tirerack.com.

Sorry. I looked at tirerack.com and the wheels/rims there aren't that nice.
Muahaha141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,318
Nope, JK rims are JK rims. Try places like quadratec or 4wd to find what you want, then shop for the best price. AEV makes nice rims, and you should be able to find something that fits. JK Sahara Rims are a direct fit, 18", and look terrible on the JK, but great of the WK2:
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Muahaha141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Nope, JK rims are JK rims. Try places like quadratec or 4wd to find what you want, then shop for the best price. AEV makes nice rims, and you should be able to find something that fits. JK Sahara Rims are a direct fit, 18", and look terrible on the JK, but great of the WK2:
I have the dark grey WK2, and I'm really looking for black rims.

4wd requires information that I don't know, haha. I'm a new Jeep owner.
Muahaha141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
TheTempter
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 50
http://www.4wd.com/WheelFinder.aspx?...0&ab=True&pg=1

That's everything 4WD.com has in your bolt pattern in an 18 inch rim.
TheTempter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,318
And there is 8 pages to look through there.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Muahaha141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTempter View Post
http://www.4wd.com/WheelFinder.aspx?...0&ab=True&pg=1

That's everything 4WD.com has in your bolt pattern in an 18 inch rim.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
And there is 8 pages to look through there.
Thank you.

I do plan on going off-road and it's best to get steel wheels...I've seen plenty of aluminum wheels my size but no steel.

Could aluminum withstand going in mud, deep water, and possible light rock crawling?
Muahaha141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.