Took the WK2 out on the Beach at OBX, NC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Took the WK2 out on the Beach at OBX, NC

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
lysol
2013 WK 

Talking Took the WK2 out on the Beach at OBX, NC

The wife and I took a quick trip to OBX in North Carolina this past weekend. Last week, I had the TSB 21-003-13 to prevent the dreaded Serv 4WD error that people were getting while driving on the sand. We had no problems at all the entire time. We bought a 7-day beach driving pass for $50 and went straight for Ramp 49 by the airport. We drove East once on the beach almost all the way to the end of the allowed driving area on Ramp 49 on the eastern side.

I used this interactive map that is viewed in Google Earth. Really cool that they update it every day to show you the allowed areas. The green areas are for vehicles. The blue is for pedestrians only. The red is no access.

Google Earth KMZ file link (click on the date that pops up(You have to have Google Earth installed on your computer)) - http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisi...leearthmap.htm

I also used this on my iPhone as well.

My plan was to keep the tires at 18 psi and if I got stuck, I would then air down to about 12 psi. I didn't get stuck. I did however run up to Buxton (about 15 miles round trip) to grab a couple boogie boards while on 18 psi. They were noticeably low on air when on the road, but I just took it easy turning the tires while on the hard road.

**IF YOU DON'T READ anything else I type, read this. Try to resist leaving your windows rolled down while on the beach. I've seen a lot of pics of people getting sand in everything because they wanted to leave the windows down. The main one is the sun roof. If you leave it open, the roof track can get a lot of sand in it which is a pain in the *** to clean**

Aired down:

Driving was easy. I was actually in Auto mode for a couple minutes until I realized and switched to Sand/Mud. I never went into 4WD Low.

Found a spot and hit the water:

Setup our spot. It is really nice not having to carry all of this crap. (Like I said earlier, you should try to resist keeping the windows rolled down. A lot of sand will get into your interior if you roll them down while on the beach):

Took a FREE ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke for some Sunday breakfast.

A passing ferry with a Jeep. Had to take the pic lol. I saw a lot of Wranglers and Rubicons out here:

My lovely wife:

Yours truly:

Unread 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Nice photos, nice writeup thanks.
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
LouC
2007 WK 

Nice pix and cute dog! I use 12 psi on my 98 ZJ with LT 235/75-15 tires. Some of the sand where I go (Fire Island on Long Island NY) is very soft.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Jackal01

2012 WK 

...it would bother me to no end that one was 19 and the rest were 18.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

Sweet - thanks for sharing.

Jackal - LOL
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
kkreit01

Very nice pics. Looks like a great time.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
lysol
2013 WK 

Thanks guys. Because of all the 4-door Unlimited Jeeps we saw, my wife wants to trade in our Accord for one... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
...it would bother me to no end that one was 19 and the rest were 18.

Man it did bother me as I was driving away. I kept staring at it... hahaha. Then one of the 18psi tires went to 19psi I'm guessing from heating up when driving and I calmed down. I have OCD like a MF.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
Thanks guys. Because of all the 4-door Unlimited Jeeps we saw, my wife wants to trade in our Accord for one... lol.

Man it did bother me as I was driving away. I kept staring at it... hahaha. Then one of the 18psi tires went to 19psi I'm guessing from heating up when driving and I calmed down. I have OCD like a MF.
haha. well, then two were 19 and two were 18 so that evens out. Better than three 18s and one 19. haha I am the same way. Off topic: even numbers (or multiple of 5 or 21 but not 11, 31, 41, etc) for volume EVERYWHERE I go. Parking in even number (or multiple of 5 or 21 but not 11, 31, 41, etc). Crazy. If I walk to a spot then turn around...I have to turn around the same way I turned otherwise I subconsciously think I have rope tie to my back and I think I will get twisted. hahaha

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
zr2s10
2012 WK 

We were at OBX last week, just south of the 4wd beach. But my wife threatened bodily harm if I tried to take the WK2 on the beach. I was going to take it out before she said anything, but one of my friends unwittingly ratted me out! I always ask for forgiveness, rather than permission. But once permission has been revoked, forgiveness is a lot harder to attain!
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome.
We stay right across from Hatteras Marina.
I've had more than a few different Jeeps down there, a few different XJs, YJ, TJ... Straight out of the box, with flat tires & sand mode, the WK2 is the best one I've had. The open diffs on the others don't pull the way that QuadraDrive does.

Did you air back up for the long ride down OK island? A few (or maybe 10) years back, you could hop off the ferry, and run the beach the whole way down the island, take the last access and be right in town.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
NCJeepGC
2012 WK 

Awesome pics! Another example of what a beautiful state I live in!
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
lysol
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Awesome.
We stay right across from Hatteras Marina.
I've had more than a few different Jeeps down there, a few different XJs, YJ, TJ... Straight out of the box, with flat tires & sand mode, the WK2 is the best one I've had. The open diffs on the others don't pull the way that QuadraDrive does.

Did you air back up for the long ride down OK island? A few (or maybe 10) years back, you could hop off the ferry, and run the beach the whole way down the island, take the last access and be right in town.
I had drove to buxton real quick on 18psi and went back to the beach. after we left the beach for the day though, I aired up. I had my own 12 compressor but the gas station right across from the exit at ramp 49 had free air. I went from 18psi to 36 psi in all 4 tires in under 2 minutes. Can't beat that!!!
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
lysol
2013 WK 

So I am now officially looking for another Jeep. The wife wants me to trade my coupe in for an Unlimited Rubicon!!!! I specifically want the Crush Clear Coat (orange) color though so this is going to be a hard one to find...
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
nyrhockey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
So I am now officially looking for another Jeep. The wife wants me to trade my coupe in for an Unlimited Rubicon!!!! I specifically want the Crush Clear Coat (orange) color though so this is going to be a hard one to find...
we have a Wk2 for the wife and i'm looking to get a 4-dr car for myself and am definitely eyeing the JKU and is probably what i will get at some point. While browsing autotrader for options in my area i was surprised how well they hold their value. Buying a '10-'12 is not much cheaper than buying new if you get good rebates at the dealer.
nyrhockey23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Kev M
2012 WK 

That orange is AWESOME!
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.