Today's experience with scissor jack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Today's experience with scissor jack

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,

Unread 12-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
HSTNJEEP
2015 WK 

A year ago I bought a small floor jack with carrying case. Stays in garage unless we go on a trip, and then I put it in car. Did just Saturday on a day trip. Then back in garage. Left work today at 4:30 to come home. Live 25 miles from work. Immediately picked up metal in my left rear tire. Never went flat, but making an awful racket. Pulled over on a side road. Acorn shaped metal sticking out of tread. Size of tip of finger. Got started. Placed the jack where manual instructs. How hard is that tool to use? Slips out over and over. And, I never could get it high enough to get the tire off ground. Flat road, too. Any thoughts? Experiences? Walked back to work (few blocks) and borrowed a floor jack from maintenance closet. Three pumps and it was high enough. Put spare on.

Will a dealership repair a tire?

2015 WK2 Limited 4x4, 3.6, Granite Crystal Metallic
2013 WK2 Laredo, 3.6, Mineral Gray
HSTNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its been awhile since I've read about scissor jack adventures here.
Unread 12-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
Robert_B

Have you used your floor jack in a case? How does it work? What brand/model? I may need to get one. Scissors are the worst.....especially for anything as heavy as a GC.
Unread 12-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
API
2013 WK 

Tried mine recently with similar experience. The eye started bending and it wouldn't raise at all. I bought a bottle Jack and a Hi-Lift plastic base I keep in my recovery gear tote.
Unread 12-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
lurtonk
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTNJEEP View Post
Will a dealership repair a tire?
Tires are usually warranted by the manufacturer.
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Dealer or not, the only thing that can be repaired on a tire is a puncture in the tread area. If this metal took out a chunk of tread and that is what you want fixed, there is no way to fill in the missing piece of the tire. If the chunk of metal resulted in a puncture, it can likely be repaired. I am sure a dealer can do that repair, but you might want to take it to a tire shop. Or, purchase a tire repair kit from Home Depot (or Walmart, or Lowes, etc.). All you do is use a file (in the kit) to clean up the puncture, coat a plug with glue, use the insertion tool to install the plug, remove the insertion tool, and cut off the excess plug material. Everything you need comes in the kit. I keep one at home to repair nail or screw holes and between my cars and neighbors cars have probably used it a dozen times.

If the puncture is in the side wall, the tire is not repairable. If you are trying to replace a chunk taken out by the metal, the tire is not repairable.

When you were using the jack, did you have the vehicle in tire jack mode?
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I hear that a plug type patch is considered a temporary repair. Tire shops in this area will not use a plug type patch anymore for liability reasons. I guess there have been more than a few instances where, eventually, the steel belts cut through them and they let go. The shops want to unmount the tire and put a patch on the inside. If your hole is within an inch or so of the edge or on the sidewall, shops won't repair them.

That being said, I have used plugs as temporary repair for years without issue. They certainly can help you get off the trail and back to a place where a proper repair can be made.
Unread 12-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
HSTNJEEP
2015 WK 

I took it to Tire Engineers this morning and had a real good experience. He said the location of the metal was ok, just had to see if the hole was too large. They came out of the shop area and handed me a metal ink pen! That is what was down in there. Unbelievable. The patch held. So far, so good. 28 dollar charge.

As far as my floor jack in a case, I have only "practiced" with it in my garage. It would have gotten the job done yesterday I feel sure. It is a small craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jack. Black in color. Small, handle comes off. Fits nicely in a small plastic case with carrying handle.

I also want to invest in some jack stands. That is what I always fear. The car moving a bit and falling off the jack. Here is my question...where would you position jack stands on this vehicle? Does not seem as clear cut as with solid axle vehicles. Anyone ever use them on the current JGC?

Unread 12-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
lurtonk
2015 WK 

Quote:
I took it to Tire Engineers this morning and had a real good experience. He said the location of the metal was ok, just had to see if the hole was too large. They came out of the shop area and handed me a metal ink pen!
I had a spoon embedded in the tread of my 2011 C6.
The handle was gone but the rest had taken out a half-dollar sized section of tread.
GY did a full, no-charge replacement since they were OEM and only had about 2k miles on them.
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
mx71
2013 WK 

When I use jack stands, I usually place them on the bottom of the A-Arms, or the crossmember if I need the suspension sagging.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
HSTNJEEP
2015 WK 

I did at least call the Jeep dealership just now. The tire would not be covered under any type of warranty they said.

Unread 12-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Tires are covered by the tire manufacture, usually 12 months but there should be a tire warranty thing in your paperwork. They don't cover road hazards as far as I know, however.... but sometimes they do.
Unread 12-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
HSTNJEEP
2015 WK 

Will at least check with GY. Thanks.

Unread 12-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
API
2013 WK 

Quote:
I took it to Tire Engineers this morning and had a real good experience. He said the location of the metal was ok, just had to see if the hole was too large. They came out of the shop area and handed me a metal ink pen! That is what was down in there. Unbelievable. The patch held. So far, so good. 28 dollar charge.

As far as my floor jack in a case, I have only "practiced" with it in my garage. It would have gotten the job done yesterday I feel sure. It is a small craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jack. Black in color. Small, handle comes off. Fits nicely in a small plastic case with carrying handle.

I also want to invest in some jack stands. That is what I always fear. The car moving a bit and falling off the jack. Here is my question...where would you position jack stands on this vehicle? Does not seem as clear cut as with solid axle vehicles. Anyone ever use them on the current JGC?
Best place for Jack Stand placement for our vehicles is the frame for the front and the round "doughnuts" for the rear. If you have skid plates like I do, then for the passenger side front, just place the stand on the plate in line with the frame.
Unread 12-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
HSTNJEEP
2015 WK 

Anyone ever use a piece of wood under the OEM scissor jack to add some height? A short 2x4 seems almost perfect. Not quite wide enough to equal the width of the scissor jack, but real close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.