Tires, Mods (lift) vs. Jeep warranty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tires, Mods (lift) vs. Jeep warranty

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Tires, Mods (lift) vs. Jeep warranty

I have searched some of the threads and seen conflicting and vague answers.

1) is there any clear info on how much you can change tire size and not void your warranty. i.e. you can up size to a 265/65/18 but not a 275/75?

2) is there any info about lift and warranty impact? I have QL so this does not apply to me but I am throwing it out as many will need the answer to both of these questions as a lift and tire change are often paired

Best sources of info would be something you have in writing or perhaps JeepCares knows?

Thx!

gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Jackal01

2012 WK 

The consensus regarding a lift is that since the main one right now is the RRO 2.5" that it falls within the max QL lift height thus not exceeding any factory tolerances. As far as tire size, I cannot imagine a tire size voiding a warranty. Without massive modification a huge tire that would cause a lot of damage just cannot fit in that wheel well. The Dealer has to prove that the modification caused the part to fail. Obviously adding a larger tire increases the weight of the tire thus applying that weight to rest of the suspension and drive train so overtime it could cause premature damage/failure on said parts.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Oversized tires and lifts are unapproved modifications. Dealers have some discretion (and many turn a blind eye) but technically you must stay within the OEM tire size to guaranty warranty coverage without hassle. In theory oversize tires compromise the ABS and traction control tuning and puts additional loading on the transfer case and axles.

There have been two reports here of dealers putting oversize tire notes into the data base for a VIN and folks subsequently denied warranty for transfer case issues. First one covered, second one not. Getting that note attached to tour VIN can be a source of frustration down the line.

Dealers must show that your mod may have contributed to the failure, they can't deny a radio warranty claim because you run oversize tires.

There doesn't seem to be many failure reports here, let alone those that may be due to tires or lifts. So the situation rarely comes up. These have light truck duty type drive trains, so you can't push them much without getting into wear trouble.
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I asked my dealership and they said that if they do the mods it should be no issue. I was specifically asking them about tire upsizing. FYI.
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
I asked my dealership and they said that if they do the mods it should be no issue. I was specifically asking them about tire upsizing. FYI.
Not wanting to be a nit but "should" vs "guarantee" is the question. And is should applicable only for service the same dealer?

There are many chrysler products with more tire options and upsizing is routine. The dealer service rep may not be aware of the WK2 limits off hand. You should also ask if they will recalibrate the speedo (tire factor) and ask if they have ever done it on a WK2.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.