Tire noise, wheel bearing, or other? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tire noise, wheel bearing, or other?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

Tire noise, wheel bearing, or other?

I recently had my WK2 serviced and tires rotated. I noticed a subtle wup-wup-wup noise that sped up and slowed down w/ the speed. I thought it might be simply the tires evening out after being rotated... but I've driven over 1k miles since the rotation... so I'm confused.

I checked the tire pressure and they were at 32... which is a little low... so I increased each to 36. But still, the noise persists...

Again, it's pretty subtle, but definitely there. You can hear it... and feel it some in the pedals and steering wheel. Occurs mostly in the 20-50 mph range.

I couldn't imagine a wheel bearing going bad at 28,000 miles...

Any ideas?

UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
heronbelei

Mine is with the same problem. Did you discover where the noise came from?
heronbelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

bad tire

Try rotating the tires and see if the noise moves or stops.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
heronbelei

Noise continues even if tires are rotated
heronbelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Tires

Crapyears or Michelins? Still could be the tire
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Look for grease or something stuck to the inside of the wheel, throwing things off balance. Check the tightness of the lug nuts, but if you tried rotating tires I guess they are tight. Look for something that could throw the axles or drive shafts out of balance, or something wrapped around them. Otherwise, if they serviced the transaxle or diff, check oil level. Ask what brand and weight oil they used.
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Blondi5858
2011 WK 

I was having the same problem. Didn't think it was a wheel bearing since I only have 32k miles.
Figured it was the crappy Michelins so it gave me an excuse to buy new tires :-)
It got rid of a little of the road noise, but i was still having the wobble and wup-wup noise.
Brought it to the dealer right after and found out I actually do have a bad wheel bearing on the front right side.
Blondi5858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.