Tiny rock chips on windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Tiny rock chips on windshield

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Tiny rock chips on windshield

We've all been there...driving along the highway and all of a sudden BAM!!! A pebble hits your windshield and causes a tiny little chip/scratch. With enough of these, it sparkles like crazy in the sun. The scratches are minuscule in size, barely noticeable normally unless you look really close and carefully or if you scratch the chip with your nails. How do you get rid of these? I know they have crack and chip sealers but those are for large scale stuff. <sigh> less than 5k miles and i have three of these now...ppl need to put on some mud flaps!!! Lol

shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

Call a body shop, or the place you purchased your car. They can use a sealant which fills in the rock chip. Places like safelite specialize in that, google is your friend
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

you can buy UV activate chip filler on ebay and try it yourself.

The old saying "Google is your friend" is now going to be "YouTube is your friend"
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

I know all about those products...my question is if it works on these extremely tiny scratches...these little scratches are no more than 1/10 of a mm
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
unimatrixzer0

You mean something like this? I have one of these suckers right in front of my left field of vision. Impossible not to see while driving.

unimatrixzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Yup!!! Exactly like one of those...i did some research and apparently those are too small to use a resin filler i'm going to send a pic over to safelite and see what they say.
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
unimatrixzer0

Awesome, please share your findings when you hear back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
Yup!!! Exactly like one of those...i did some research and apparently those are too small to use a resin filler i'm going to send a pic over to safelite and see what they say.
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

A year ago, they told Dad that the only way to fix these "sand blasts" is by replacing the windshield. He was having a tuff time driving into the sun, and sure enough that's what fixed his problem. He asked for a harder grade replacement glass. Hasn't had much issue since.
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

That sux to hear...my old wrx had like thousands of these damn things and its like a windshield full of tiny fire flies when the sun hits it
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
unimatrixzer0

Hi, just curious if you ever ended up hearing back from safelite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
That sux to hear...my old wrx had like thousands of these damn things and its like a windshield full of tiny fire flies when the sun hits it
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

If your windshield is heavily pitted (i.e. looks like you drove through a sandstorm), you'll have to get a new windshield to fix it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.