Time for a new Jeep...V6 or V8 (8spd owner opinions only) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Time for a new Jeep...V6 or V8 (8spd owner opinions only)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 05-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
spinxt

Time for a new Jeep...V6 or V8 (8spd owner opinions only)

Looking at lightly used 2014 Overlands or potentially a new 2014 limited. I have a buddy that just bought a 14' summit V6. He said the V6 / 8spd combo feels just a peppy as his old 2011 HEMI/ 5spd.

I tow a 4700 boat/trailer for about 4 months in the summer. Mostly short distances (less than 5 miles), with a once a summer trip to Virgina (not a bad tow down I-81.

So should the v6 even be on my radar, or should I still get the HEMI (which is what my 2011 overland has).

Fuel mileage isn't as big of a deal (company paid)...but up front cost is. I will have about $7000 cash when I start my search for a 2014, but I'm about $2500 upside down on my 2011 (based on trade in value and my current loan amount). That said if the v6 is acceptable for my use and I can save a few thousand it would be worth considering.

spinxt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
major2000
2014 WK 

I'd go for the hemi since it comes with the less issue prone tranny. Don't get one built in March or April though! CVs are bad on quite a few of them.
major2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
SouthDakota
Jeep Owner Since 2006

2014 WK 

The German transmission comes with the V8 and diesel. The Chrysler made (based/licensed on German design) transmission comes with the V6, and as major2000 stated, can be more issue prone.

The 8-speed does wonders for the V6. Your friend is probably correct in his assessment. However, that being said, the Hemi still has more "pep" to it, especially at highway speeds or towing.

If you want to save a bit more, and are OK with the Limited, see if you can find some barely used ones. That is what my wife and I purchased, and we didn't pay very much extra at all for the Hemi. Negotiated them down quite a bit. You will see a two to four MPG hit with the Hemi vs the V6, typically.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
chartx

Forum search is your best friend. You don't think this question has never answered before, right?
chartx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartx
Forum search is your best friend. You don't think this question has never answered before, right?

Yes it does, however on this topic, the search results are tainted by threads of owners of the 11'-13' WK2s with the 5spd or 6spd which is comparing apples to oranges.
spinxt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
HaydenHunter
2014 WK 

We replaced our 1997 V8 GC with a 2014 Limited with Tow Pkg and V6. We have not towed thus far but I am not worried about doing so. Especially the loads and distances you are talking about it does not seem like a big deal. I say go with the V6.
HaydenHunter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
chartx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
Yes it does, however on this topic, the search results are tainted by threads of owners of the 11'-13' WK2s with the 5spd or 6spd which is comparing apples to oranges.
2014 model is out for a long time already. Took me a min to find out this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...-hemi-2250577/

Enjoy!
chartx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

I have a 2014 V6 gas, got it without tow hitch, don't tow with it, have alternate vehicle for that. IMO if you're going to tow with your Jeep, get the hemi.
Bullheadbud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
oldmac1
2014 WK 

My V6 runs and feels like my 07 non mds Hemi when it is in sport mode. My towing with the V6 with a 3k boat is acceptable for my limited trips, but when I had my 09 and 11 Hemi's towing was outstanding. If I were to buy a heavier boat I would buy another Hemi without question. Both are great engines but for heavy towing the Hemi is my choice for anything over 3000 lbs. Good luck on your decision.
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
butzer
2014 WK 

V6 diesel
butzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
jbain44
2014 WK 

Probably the V6 Diesel if you do a lot of towing but the V8 is a dream to drive. Quiet and always has the ponies when you need them. $1k incentive on the B8's right now. Just picked up mine on Friday. She's a beaut!
image-1808132075.jpg

jbain44 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
TurboRush

V8, smooth powerful at all times and you don't really see the complaints about the 8 speed in it.
TurboRush is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
esimp

I tow a boat/trailer very close to the same weight with my 14 Hemi. It's been wonderful all spring, no effort really, very solid, no sway, smooth acceleration, authoritative stopping. Maybe 1-2 degrees higher trans temp than non towing. I've not towed with the v6, so I can't compare.

There are threads on v6 acceleration "lag" which doesn't affect either the Hemi or the diesel. But I'd presume that lag would certainly become more interesting with a two ton plus extra towed behind.

I'm sure the v6 is probably just fine but a diesel or a Hemi isn't going to work as hard as the 6 will while towing. Something to consider if you intend to keep it a while.
esimp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Got to love these V6s don't have enough power comments. Compared to the old Powertech V8 the V6 has 55 more ponies and 35 less ft-lbs of torque. This is more than enough power to yank around a 5000 lbs load. (Unless the WJ guys are going to say their 6,500 lbs tow rating is BS...)

As for lag in eco mode the transmission upshifts quickly, so you step on the pedal and the vehicle has a wait a minute moment downshifting to the correct gear before jumping off. This is not the V6 engine doing this, but the 8 speed transmission and the Eco mode software. When you shift into Sport the V6 comes off the line with authority. Paddle shift and the vehicle really comes alive, just 8 gears are a PITA to shift through on a regular basis.

I have a 6 x 14 blunt nose trailer that I occasionally tow. Unloaded I can hardly tell the trailer is behind me, except for the terrible gas mileage towing an aerodynamic brick. Loaded the trailer exhibits some pull and push but not that bad. I am not going to win any tractor pull contests, but the V6 is more than capable for occasional trailer hauling up to its rated weight.

The Hemi will of course give you much more power when towing the trailer. If you really need to jump onto an interstate then of course the Hemi's torque will get you moving. Of course the Diesel will do it even better at a higher MPG. But, for the rest of the year you will be paying for those few moments when you need the extra power.

I don't pull 4,700 lbs out of water so that might be the clincher, but my old TJ with the Iron 6 pulled a friends 24' Macgregor (I don't know how much those weigh) without any problems. Then again hauling a boat behind a TJ was an experience in what not to do.
Ken-G is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
14summithemi
2014 WK 

My vote = V8...here's why

I didn't need a V8, I WANTED a V8. A V6 would do everything I needed it to do except put a grin on my face once in a while plain and simple!
14summithemi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.