throttle lag in 2014 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > throttle lag in 2014 Grand Cherokee

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
Bugsy2
2014 WK 

Wk throttle lag in 2014 Grand Cherokee

I just got a 2104 Grand Cherokee 3 weeks ago. It's got 4 wheel drive and the 3.6 cylinder V6 engine. I've been experiencing a lag in the throttle response. From a stop, I can press the accelerator pedal and nothing happens for a half a second to a second. So I press it further, and then all of a sudden, the engine starts going and the vehicle takes off hard. It's like I have to wait for the turbo to spool up even though it's not turbocharged. It's borderline dangerous when I'm trying to merge into traffic.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this something the dealer can address? Will they address it if I complain?

I'd love to reprogram the ECM to get rid of the lag!

I searched the forum but I only found posts relating to the 5.7 hemi.

Thanks!

Bugsy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
sixxshooter

Your not alone my friend . I'm the proud owner of a 2014 jeep grand cherokee summit v6 and I also have the lethargic throttle response . My way around the problem is to turn Eco off when driving around town . It helps somewhat in the throttle response . I think what's happening is when your in Eco mode the transmission starts off I second gear to save fuel . This causes the problem . I think I've read in other forums that there is a flash update available for our transmission but I can't be sure . For now just shut the Eco button off until a fix comes .
sixxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
TurboRush

The transmission and all that good stuff electronic stuff is self-learning/adapting. Some have had success pulling the negative battery cable for 20 or so minutes and rehooking it - give it 500 miles or so to learn your driving style and that could help.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

If you have a few hundred bucks to spend Diablosport has a tuner for the WK2. One of the features it allegedly addresses is the throttle lag.

I ordered one last week. Throttle lag is common these days in most cars.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
sixxshooter

The throttle response he's talking about and my selfs unacceptable and downright dangerous in my book .
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
sixxshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxshooter
The throttle response he's talking about is unacceptable and downright dangerous in my book .
I have experienced it also .
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
TurboRush

Do you also have all the latest transmission flashes
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Dangerous...doubtful. Mine does the same, exact thing and although it is annoying I don't think it is dangerous. It is just the way it is. My wife's 2013 Mustang does the same thing. I tried many "tricks" with no success. The computer hasn't learned anything.

My question is why did you purchase with vehicle if it was "dangerous"?

Unread 01-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
If you have a few hundred bucks to spend Diablosport has a tuner for the WK2. One of the features it allegedly addresses is the throttle lag.

I don't think they have a tuner out yet for the 14 v6's though do they?
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxshooter View Post
Your not alone my friend . I'm the proud owner of a 2014 jeep grand cherokee summit v6 and I also have the lethargic throttle response . My way around the problem is to turn Eco off when driving around town . It helps somewhat in the throttle response . I think what's happening is when your in Eco mode the transmission starts off I second gear to save fuel . This causes the problem . I think I've read in other forums that there is a flash update available for our transmission but I can't be sure . For now just shut the Eco button off until a fix comes .
The only time it starts in second gear is in snow mode. Either way though, 2nd gear in the 8 speed's is a lower gear than 1st gear on the NAG trans that was behind the V6 before. Like someone else said, do you have the latest trans software? I have always thought the throttle was almost too touchy on my wife's, I always give it too much gas and then back off causing it to go into 3rd or 4th gear in eco mode, which would cause it to take a second to start accelerating again, but the latest trans software pretty much took care of that.
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
I don't think they have a tuner out yet for the 14 v6's though do they?
I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't real. At least according to their website they have it for the 2014s.

Check their website.

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Dont forget

That the WK2 is drive by wire when you step on the accelerator. With my 2012 I have learned the loud pedal is not linear and has dead spots unlike the good ole loud pedals with a cable to the linkage on a nice set of sidedraft Webers or a the fuel injection on a S14 engine.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
moleson10
2014 WK 

14 overland V6, build date 6-13, no trans flash yet, and no issues with throttle lag from a dead start. Not all do it apparently. Throttle take up from stop is like any other car. The trans shifts into high gear too soon when in eco mode (sometimes, not always) but otherwise driveability is good. I would take it in if it was mine.
moleson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
loveracing1988

Quote:
I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't real. At least according to their website they have it for the 2014s.

Check their website.
Link? I just looked at their website and don't see anything mentioning the V6.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:

When you get the tuner installed, please let us know if it makes any differences in the performance and operation. Appreciate much. I am limited in funds a little but if it makes a measurable difference, will scrape up $$ somewhere.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.