For those with RRO lift kits...questions please read - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > For those with RRO lift kits...questions please read

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Looney
2011 WK 

For those with RRO lift kits...questions please read

Some background first...I traded my 08 Rubicon with 3.5 inch rock krawler lift and 37 inch tires on my more civilized 2011 v6 Laredo 4x4. Now I find myself looking at lifted jks and thinking how much I missed looking down on all those little cars on the way to work. Plus my buddy just bought a gigantic dodge pickup and makes fun of my family car now. So flash back to today.

I want to add the only lift out there right now but had some questions and hope you guys with the RRO lift kit can assist.

Did you opt for the upper control arms?

Did you add bwoodys at the same time?

What is the largest tire you guys have tried with this kit?

How has your ride or mpgs changed?

My goal is to add 20 inch Rockstar rims and 33 inch tires. I know Rockstars are over done and I had them on the jk but my new jeep is black and those black Rockstars are super easy to keep clean and you don't have to see rust spots like chromes.

So enough rambling. Please let me know what you have experienced or your thoughts both positive and dare I say negative. I don't intend to wheel it like my old jk but I'm just not comfortable going on camping trails with the jeep as is. So let's hear it.

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I didnt do the UCA but I did the bwoody links. MPG dropped about 3 overall. Just did a 3400 miles trip from Houston to Durango and back. Highest I got was between Houston and Dallas at which point I hight 20.1. Usually highway is about 19. City is 17.5. My info is in my signature and build pages 1-3 on the wheels, lift and tires. Ride, the same.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Im running 33"s on stock 20's with spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers front & rear. Also have the bwoodys & the upper control arms. Rides smooth, but you'll never be as big as your Jk, I sold a tricked out prerunner truck to get this wk2 and I still miss the truck. If you have the $$ King shocks makes a coilover that can lift it up to 3"-4" talk to Brett over there. Personally once I get the funds I'll go that route as the RRO lift doesn't sit level & is a bit of an eye sore to me.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer View Post
Im running 33"s on stock 20's with spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers front & rear. Also have the bwoodys & the upper control arms. Rides smooth, but you'll never be as big as your Jk, I sold a tricked out prerunner truck to get this wk2 and I still miss the truck. If you have the $$ King shocks makes a coilover that can lift it up to 3"-4" talk to Brett over there. Personally once I get the funds I'll go that route as the RRO lift doesn't sit level & is a bit of an eye soar to me.
+1 on it not being level. Little annoying. I await something better when I have the money.

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Big50
2012 WK 

I didn't opt for the control arms or extended end links. Haven't found a reason to yet. Rides great and love the look. You should be able to fit 33's depending on offset. I went a little smaller (275-65-18's) as I wanted a wide offset which gave it a wider and more rugged stance IMO.

I feel ya though. I went from an f150, 6" lift, and 37's. After a while I really started missing the altitude
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Looney
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
+1 on it not being level. Little annoying. I await something better when I have the money.
not level? too high in the front or back? I had spacers in the rear of my JK because I prefer the front rake a little. Before it seemed that the jeep sat too high in the front and I had trouble seeing certain parts of trails.
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney

not level? too high in the front or back? I had spacers in the rear of my JK because I prefer the front rake a little. Before it seemed that the jeep sat too high in the front and I had trouble seeing certain parts of trails.
Slight front rake. Not as much as factory before the lift but it isn't level for sure. Not a big problem but just a slight annoyance.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using JeepForum

Unread 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Looney
2011 WK 

I think I can live with that. When the front seems taller than the back like some of those prerunner trucks you see...now that would get annoying to me.
Unread 06-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

There is a guy on here and possibly "the other forum" that has a nice white WK2 and he did a customized lift kit by combining the front or the RR kit with a custom fabricated spacer in the rear to even it out. I think it looks really cool. As far as your other questions:

-I have been averaging about 20 to 21 mpg on 50% backroads 50% highway trips with the AC on almost the whole time, mostly through pretty hill terrain, with the lift and 265/70/17 tires. I really was only getting about 1 mpg better than that before the lift and wheels/tires. My tires are not as aggressive as others.

- I think the ride is stiffer (which i like), it corners better, you full bumps more (especially on corners or at highway speeds) but overall it rides more like a "Jeep." IMO the stock WK2 is so smooth it's almost a car-like feel and you definitely lose some of that.

-I didn't do UCA's or Bwoodys, I wanted to get used to the ride and monitor how my suspension components wear before I got into those other aftermarket parts. So far so good for about 2500 miles.

-I do get a slight vibration in my steering wheel on some highway surfaces at 65-75 mph and I've realized it tends to be on pavement that isn't as good. I've had the mount/balance and alignment done twice so I really don't believe that is the problem. But, given the 4 wheel independent suspension and lift, I do think the WK2's are pretty sensitive to aftermarket wheels/tires especially with more offset than stock, just something to consider when you shop around. Here are a few pics of mine for some perspective. The wheels/tires don't stick out quite as much in person as it looks like in the pics. Good luck!
dirtyjeep.jpg   liftside.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
rcoryjohnson

Does anyone know what kind of lift is on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk?

Or have any knowledge on the size of tire that's on it?
rcoryjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Looney
2011 WK 

Thanks for the input guys. I am tempted to wait for more vendors to come on the market but with the JKs dominating aftermarket r and d right now it could be years or more before a better kit come out. I will be pulling the trigger on this as soon as I find a place to install. I think I will wait on the uca and bwoodies as well and add them later. I went from zero to hero with my jk and really had way more than I needed when I did my lift so I'll take it slow this time.

One last question for those that have lifted is do you know if dealers will give you crap about adding this? I read that it shouldn't void any of your warranty but seems dealers always look to bone you out of it. If I won't affect the warranty I was gonna see about having my dealer do it. I know it will cost more but all my other services will go though this dealer so it would be nice to get familiar with them and what my jeep has. Of course I will ask them about this but wanted a heads up on it. Again guys thanks for the great input. Wk forum is totally different than the jk side. Nothing but good help and and good attitudes over here.
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
nasmith342

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
There is a guy on here and possibly "the other forum" that has a nice white WK2 and he did a customized lift kit by combining the front or the RR kit with a custom fabricated spacer in the rear to even it out. I think it looks really cool.

im pretty sure you are talking about me LOL

here is what I did and also my write up from "the other forum"

I used the leveling kit up front (not the lift kit) and was fabricating my rear, when I ran out of acetylene. I had a tire appt in 2 hrs so i came up with a quick/temporary fix, but these would work for long term use too (i just want more lift in the rear so im going to finish making my kit). I used TJ 3/4" coil spring spacers in the rear. The stock WK2 lower control arm spring perch fits perfectly into the spacer and the spacer fits perfectly into the LCA spring perch hole. This gave me enough lift front and rear to fit 255/80/17 BFG KM2's (33.06x10.08x17) with a unique 297 steel wheel with a 4.5" of backspace. Minor fender trimming was required to fit these (cut and fold the pinch welds and felt between the tire and the doors. The 265/70/17 (32.01x11.24x17) fit fine though without trimming. pics are attached of the rear spacers, pinch weld mod, and jeep after lift and tires.
2012-02-23_15-00-54_467.jpg   2012-02-23_15-01-07_530.jpg   2012-02-24_13-15-23_557.jpg   2012-02-24_15-07-09_962.jpg   2012-02-24_15-11-06_186.jpg  

463934_10151444221893029_883558170_o.jpg   469174_10151444221668029_498883205_o.jpg  

Last edited by nasmith342; 09-26-2012 at 04:02 PM..
nasmith342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
nasmith342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I am tempted to wait for more vendors to come on the market but with the JKs dominating aftermarket r and d right now it could be years or more before a better kit come out. I will be pulling the trigger on this as soon as I find a place to install. I think I will wait on the uca and bwoodies as well and add them later. I went from zero to hero with my jk and really had way more than I needed when I did my lift so I'll take it slow this time.

One last question for those that have lifted is do you know if dealers will give you crap about adding this? I read that it shouldn't void any of your warranty but seems dealers always look to bone you out of it. If I won't affect the warranty I was gonna see about having my dealer do it. I know it will cost more but all my other services will go though this dealer so it would be nice to get familiar with them and what my jeep has. Of course I will ask them about this but wanted a heads up on it. Again guys thanks for the great input. Wk forum is totally different than the jk side. Nothing but good help and and good attitudes over here.
I just had my struts and lower control arms replaced under warranty by the dealer while my lift was installed and they didnt care at all. The lift is within the specs of the quadralift air setup so they cant really complain about it.
nasmith342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Alaska-HWY JK

http://cdn.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...83558170_o.jpg
Looks like the stairs on Broken Arrow.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

I have had a rear diff seal replaced and an issue with my sway bar bushings since having the lift and the dealer didn't care. As pathetic as this sounds, unless they are specifically looking at where the spacers are installed I bet 50% of the tech's out there wouldn't even notice you had a lift!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.