Things to change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Things to change

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
padgett
2012 WK 

Wk Things to change

I really like my Jeep (nothing worse than a convert) but there are a few items it would be nice if the factory could address:
1) Change contrast on gauge needles. Many people just cannot see with sunglasses on (see other thread).
2) Make "Cruise Control" ON a user selectable default rather than having to select each time the engine is started. Better, put latch in EVIC and move button off the wheel entirely (see 3 - I keep hitting the on-off by accident).
3) Put dots on front steering wheel buttons or make concave/convex like ones on rear. Is dangerous having to look at wheel each time I change the EVIC when all feel the same so can see Speed or coolant temp with sunglasses on (see #1)
4) Does it really need to take at least 4 (sometimes more) button pushes to switch from MPH to Coolant temp on the EVIC ? I can display the major engine parameters (tach, oil press, coolant temp, batt voltage) on my '88 Reatta's CRT with one button.
5) Make the reciculation on the a/c latching. As a non-smoker in Florida during the 100 days of summer, max a/c with recirc needs to come on with the engine, particularly if starting remotely.
6) Make the service and wiring manuals available to owners. Jeeps are often in places without dealers or even tow trucks close by. I have them for all of my other cars including the RV.
7) Make the "4 inch oval tubular side rail with steps" usuable by someone with a shoe side larger than a 4.

Must say my first month has been trouble free and these are more annoyances than anything else but with the people Jeep is trying to attract, it is the annoyances that will lose sales (and not being able to read the instruments easily is IMNSHO a safety issue).

Anyone have others ? These are just mine in the first month.

One of these is a diesel.

Unread 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Jackal01

2012 WK 

After a week I had the buttons on the steering wheel memorized. I no longer have to look to use them. I would like to see more contrast in the EVIC screen. I would like the reverse lights to come on with illuminated entry and not just the headlights.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
padgett
2012 WK 

Not everyone can. After forty years I still have to look at a keyboard (piano or PC) to hit the right key. Doubt that I am the only one. Also this is not the only car I drive that has buttons. A few stategically raised dots or concave/convex buttons would be easy and keep the Uconnect from talking to me or having to look at the EVIC to see if I just turned the cruise off.

Some issues trigger others. I wouldn't be messing with the EVIC so much if I could read the speedo on a bright day (we have a lot of those). Personally do not like having to look away from the road for long enough to see where a dark object is blocking part of the dial.

Wasn't so bad when Chrysler had white dials but a dark needle against a black backgound is not good. Maybe we should only drive at night ?

And just found another: "Illuminated Approach". Apparently you have to press "unlock" for the lights to come on. If it knows I am approaching at night, why can't it just turn the lights on when it senses the key near. Whole idea is not to have to do anything with the key, just have it.

Unread 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

My few wishlish items for improvement would be:

1) Make an EVIC screen with speed, MPG, and trip info on the same screen.
2) Include memory seats as an option for the Laredo X package (even if it is just the seats and not the mirrors too)
3) Include windows that the UV protected.
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i just wish the volume for the radio was on the other side of the steering wheel. i drive with my left hand, and usually at the 9 position. hell i span my fingers and touch both volume knobs.

memory seats on x agree
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
kkreit01

YES to #7.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
i just wish the volume for the radio was on the other side of the steering wheel. i drive with my left hand, and usually at the 9 position. hell i span my fingers and touch both volume knobs.

memory seats on x agree
One way to achieve that would be to make the steering wheel controls customizable in the radio setup menus so you could at least flip the functions of the two sides of the radio steering wheel controls.
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

In my mind a real no-brainer with memory seats and mirrors would be to have a memory rear view mirror. How sweet would that be??!

I agree with having speed and mileage on the same evic screen.

A also agree with the cruise control functions. They're totally confusing. Sometimes I want 'adaptive' and sometimes I don't. It's strange design.
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
NotNowChief
2011 WK 

How about not having the bright green indicator lights to show me my headlights and fog lights are on.

Really Jeep, there was no other solution than to put 2 incredibly bright green LED indicators (one for headlights and one for foglights) in the middle of the instrument cluster?

I don't use my foglights because the indicator lights are distracting, and I can at least get rid of one by leaving the fogs off.
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
scottfehr
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg012GCO View Post

A also agree with the cruise control functions. They're totally confusing. Sometimes I want 'adaptive' and sometimes I don't. It's strange design.
This confounded me the other day too. The radar thingy was all slushed/muddied up so adaptive wouldn't engage. I just wanted to use "normal" cruise, but never did end up figuring out how to - it kept just repeating that adaptive was disabled.
scottfehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Cochon
2012 WK 

Anybody figured how to remove the speedometer cover so the needle can be painted another color?
Cochon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Jackal01

2012 WK 

I also agree with the fog and headlights indicators. I have yet to have an issue with seeing the gauges and needles, also. My only other gripe is user programable/mapable steering wheel controls.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
padgett
2012 WK 

I have no problem with the headlight indicators because the rim of the steering wheel covers it (and most of the speedo and tach dials).

Thought about painting the needles (Testors has a bright orange) but at night they act as light channels and paint would block that. How about white stickons for the tach and speedo dials ? Maybe just over the tick marks.

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
RichP
2011 WK 

Make the spare tire cover lockable, so you can lock valuables in there.
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
nonopr01

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
make the spare tire cover lockable, so you can lock valuables in there.
+1
nonopr01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.