Terrible dealership experince - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Terrible dealership experince

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Jason911
2008 WK 

Terrible dealership experince

Just wanted to let anyone know that is looking at new WK2's and wants to treated like garbage, be sure to check out Royal Gate Automotive Group in Columbia, IL - they will let you know how worthless you are. I sent a email inquiry after doing a broad area search as the dealership had exactly the Jeep I was looking for. I was very specific - no financing, no trade, just a cash out-the-door price. I did not want a test drive or a sales pitch - just wanted to purchase. Robert Nolan Clark contacted me with two separate emails and told me "Good Luck"- which effective stated that they didn't want my business. Which is no big deal - there are oodles of Jeeps out there, just difficult to find the exact option. Terrible piss poor customer service - never before of my 40+ years of existence have I found a dealership that didn't want business. Just had to share - I hope Chrysler reads this, and the dealership. Thanks.

Jason911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Billy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that was the best "bad dealership" rant ever.

Short and to the point. I love it.

****ty that you got the "move along" sign for simply asking a question. Good luck on your search for your WK2.
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

He sent you two emails with "Good Luck" to your single email inquiry about a price? Or was there a counter offer by you in there somewhere?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Jason911
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
He sent you two emails with "Good Luck" to your single email inquiry about a price? Or was there a counter offer by you in there somewhere?
the first email from the dealership was the a typical "thanks for inquiring, would you like a test drive - we will have the keys waiting for you", to which my reply was this(cut and paste):

I am located in SE Wisconsin, I am unable to stop in for a test drive. I have sent several emails to corresponding dealers that have silver or white Grand Cherokees in Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin. I am interested in the best purchase price out the door. I will pay the sales tax to my state when I register it, my plates transfer vehicle to vehicle for life. No trade, no financing.

And it ended with my signature.

The second email - the reply - was: GOOD LUCK.
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Jason911
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
that was the best "bad dealership" rant ever.

Short and to the point. I love it.

****ty that you got the "move along" sign for simply asking a question. Good luck on your search for your WK2.
Thanks Billy - I have been kicking it around. Would rather have the EcoDiesel, do not want to pay extra to get it(I have a '08 WK diesel now), but with some of the offers from Jeep on '13s, I thought I would look. Very specific in what I would want for a new '13 or '14.
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Jason911
2008 WK 

Here's another one - from Fury Motors in South Saint Paul, MN: We have a white one available and we give you $1,000 for financing with us we also take care of tax, title and license, here. I'm not sure what it costs to transer plates in your state or what the sales tax is where you live. But our internet price is $38,135 or $39,135 if you pay cash. We're already priced below our cost on-line which is why we ask that you finance with us. Are you planning on financing or paying cash? Please let me know how you'd like to proceed. If I pay cash I would be penalized $1000?????? Seriously???
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Dealers will make a good amount on financing. If you have the cash, finance it and then pay it off the next day.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
petetherocker
2012 WK 

same

I got much the same responses when I was looking for mine. As soon as the dealer found out I wasn't 'local' they lost nearly all interest in me, figuring I was probably playing them and their best price against a local dealer.

As others have said, the dealer will usually get $ gift/kickback/fee from the finance company for the business, and even up here in Canada amounted to about $ 1,000. And it really makes no sense, whether we pay cash or the finance company pays them out entirely, what's the friggin difference. They get paid out entirely in either case.

So if they won't give you that $1,000 difference, as previously mentioned, finance it, then pay it off the next day/week/etc...
petetherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason911 View Post
If I pay cash I would be penalized $1000?????? Seriously???
Yep your going to get that everywhere and pretty much all dealers be it Jeep,GM,or Ford.It's not in there best interest to sell vehicles for cash out the door.

Just go through all the motions to the final price(get it in writing) then pull that check book out and say who do I make it out to.This only works in person though.
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Sorry but it doesn't sound like a terrible experience to me, but a good one. The dealer just said they were not interested in dealing with you and saved you a ton of negotiating time. You seem to have taken it personally, but would you rather they strung you out. The Royal Gate dealer was doing you a favor, there seems to be more and more dealers like them that are just avoid the games. Wish there was more like them .

And yes, dealers get a fair mount kickback for financing (and warranties) they arrange. It was nice of them to offer to share that with you guys.
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Sorry but it doesn't sound like a terrible experience to me, but a good one. The dealer just said they were not interested in dealing with you and saved you a ton of negotiating time. You seem to have taken it personally, but would you rather they strung you out. The Royal Gate dealer was doing you a favor, there seems to be more and more dealers like them that are just avoid the games. Wish there was more like them .

And yes, dealers get a fair mount kickback for financing (and warranties) they arrange. It was nice of them to offer to share that with you guys.
+1. If you are concerned about price > local just find a volume dealer for invoice - holdback. When doing a private sale I hate site unseen offers and tell those folks to __ off, in a polite way. i.e. "good luck"
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

One time I brought my own financing to a dealer and the finance manager acted like a spoiled brat. He was not pleased, plus that I turned down all of his up-sells. What I thought was funny was the fake family picture he had on his desk. Car buying is so much fun.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Jason911
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you - I asked a very pointed question about price, I was willing to drive down, didn't have a trade and didn't need financing, and clearly explained it all - there would of been no need for being strung out. I was not price shopping - I was cash buying. I couldn't of been more direct. How in the hell was he doing me a favor???? Yes I took it personal when the dealer told me "Good Luck" - he may as of flipped my the bird. You wish there was more dealers like them?? So, being nice and chivalry doesn't exist anymore? As for financing, I fully understand all the backside deals that dealerships are privy too.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you - I asked a very pointed question about price, I was willing to drive down, didn't have a trade and didn't need financing, and clearly explained it all - there would of been no need for being strung out. I was not price shopping - I was cash buying. I couldn't of been more direct. How in the hell was he doing me a favor???? Yes I took it personal when the dealer told me "Good Luck" - he may as of flipped my the bird. You wish there was more dealers like them?? So, being nice and chivalry doesn't exist anymore? As for financing, I fully understand all the backside deals that dealerships are privy too.
At least he said "good luck" and not F___ Y__.Can't be any nicer then that when telling you to pound sand.
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
ColdCase

2011 WK 

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you - I asked a very pointed question about price, I was willing to drive down, didn't have a trade and didn't need financing, and clearly explained it all - there would of been no need for being strung out. I was not price shopping -....
Thats OK, just trying out another POV on you.

How does the Dealer know you were not price shopping... or not a competitor? Competitors can make up some very convincing email stories. This kind of dealing just may not be in the dealer's business model. It may not be a big deal to you, but perhaps their salesman would rather spend time with a more promising customer, than feeding competitors information needs.

Anyway, dealing with you in this manner is not part of the dealer's business model, and they were polite enough to say good luck. When shopping for a patriot a few months ago I found very few dealers that would negotiate a great price via email, most had an advertised internet price and asked politely to stop in to talk about it if interested.

There are exceptions, and there have been dealers set up for and making a living on internet sales (not much overhead if you don't maintain much of a showroom). Usually you need something like a friends and family deal to set the price without face to face negotiations. All dealers know the friends and family price, so there's no competitive advantage.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.