Synthetic Brake Fluid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Synthetic Brake Fluid?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Dabitz

Question Synthetic Brake Fluid?

Is anyone using Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid? (DOT 3 & 4, Surpasses specifications SAE J1703 and FMVSS No. 116)

I'm flushing my brakes this weekend and was thinking about switching to this. Anyone using?

Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Never tried it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
Is anyone using Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid? (DOT 3 & 4, Surpasses specifications SAE J1703 and FMVSS No. 116)

I'm flushing my brakes this weekend and was thinking about switching to this. Anyone using?
What is the wet boiling point? I would stick with the old standards Castrol LMA, Ford Heavy Duty and ATE Blue and ATE Gold.

My favorite fluid is ATE Blue and Gold since they make it easy to tell when you get to the new fluid. Be careful with racing brake fluids since they are extremely hydroscopic and require fluid changes before a race weekend and therefore they shouldnt be used in daily drivers.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Dabitz

From their site:

Compatible with all braking systems requiring a DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid
Mixes well with conventional fluids
High dry boiling point up to 480F reduces the risk of fluid evaporation and possible brake failure
Low-moisture formula provides excellent vapor lock protection
Maximizes ABS performance
Ideal for hydraulic and disc brakes
Surpasses specifications SAE J1703, FMVSS No. 116 and DOT 4 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid
Minimum wet boiling point is 311F

It seems to have good reviews all over the interwebs. http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...brake-fluid/28
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

You might want to read

Some of Porsche or BMW track day forums ie Pelican Parts, PCA, BMWCCA etc.

Again dry boiling point is worthless since once you open the can brake fluid starts to attract water. Wet boiling point is the most important. ATe Gold has a wet boiling point of 399 degrees. Do a google and see what folks have to say.

If you tow I would change the fluid every year.
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Dabitz

Thanks Dave... I see Ate is the best out there. I don't tow at all so maybe the Valvoline is good option to try. Wet boiling point is 311 I believe and has good reviews. Trying to pick something that is available off the shelves.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
NCJeepGC
2012 WK 

Used Valvoline in my Ram before I bought my Jeep. Great product. Never let me down. And its readily available.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
rudeney
2014 WK 

I've been using ATE in all my cars for many years. Other than the wife's Jeep, we've had mostly Mercedes-Benz which call for fluid changes every two years and the ATE fluids exceed their specs. I alternate blue and gold to make it easy to see the change in color.
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
l8tapex
2012 WK 

Ford Racing Blue is 500 WBP but unless your at the track I dont think you will need special brake fluid. Just quality. ABS and stock pads have reduced the heat so much that even pad and rotor wear is is crazy good. I l8t brake my JGC a lot for the last year. No fade.....yet
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Dabitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8tapex View Post
Ford Racing Blue is 500 WBP but unless your at the track I dont think you will need special brake fluid. Just quality. ABS and stock pads have reduced the heat so much that even pad and rotor wear is is crazy good. I l8t brake my JGC a lot for the last year. No fade.....yet
I agree. I changed my brake pads at 50K miles and they still had plenty of meat on it.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8tapex View Post
Its 399 degrees for the Wet Boiling Point.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
97HMCS
2012 WK 

I was under the impression that all DOT 3 & 4 brake fluids are synthetic and are made from glycol-ether base.

I have heard of silicone based brake fluid referred to as synthetic, but that would not be the correct brake fluid for the WK2.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.