Sway Bar Disconnect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Sway Bar Disconnect?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
misiu

Sway Bar Disconnect?

Anybody know if there is a quick disconnect aftermarket mod for the WK2 to enable better articulation off road? Or if there are away bars of a more moderate length allowing more wheel travel?

Thanks

misiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

With stock CV's(or any OE spec'd aftermarket CV) you will just destroy the CV's faster.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
misiu

I feel a bit on the slow side...CV?

Looking for a way to remove the sway bar for offroad use, then reattach for on road. I know there is a mod some folks have used in the Land Rover that works with the lift similar to our Quadra lift, but I was hoping for something simple like the Wrangler uses or the quick disconnects most other offroad vehicles use.

Anybody know?
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu View Post
I feel a bit on the slow side...CV?

Looking for a way to remove the sway bar for offroad use, then reattach for on road. I know there is a mod some folks have used in the Land Rover that works with the lift similar to our Quadra lift, but I was hoping for something simple like the Wrangler uses or the quick disconnects most other offroad vehicles use.

Anybody know?
Your WKII has 4 wheel independant suspension and uses CV axles on each corner.They have a operating range and do not last long when pushed to there max angles.

Lockers are your friend,sadly no one will most likely make any for the WKII.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
misiu

Thank you for your very helpful input.

If I understand correctly, removal of the sway bars would stress the CVs too much?

So far the only thing my search results have pulled up is the SRT crowd talking about beefing up their anti-sway bars to improve cornering. I figured for sure some off-roader would go the other way for sure.

As for lockers, completely agree. I used my Rubicon lockers (and sway bar disconnect!) all the time on the trail. But with Quadra Drive, I think we'd have challenges with aftermarket lockers and need to rely on the ELSD. Used to have front and rear (and center?), but currently the ELSD is sadly only on the rear. Still works well though that speaks volumes toward the excellent capability of Quadra Drive II.

Very little we can do to mod the WKII, but I'm trying!!

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The big difference between your Rubicon and your WKII is the Rubicon had solid axles front and rear which will see a huge benifit from being disconnected in some cases.You can have to much flex also which can hurt offroad performance.

I never disconnected the front swaybar on my KJ(IFS also) and now that I swapped in a solid front axle I still never disconnect since I use Currie's AntiRock which helps offroad performance.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
christiang26
2009 WK 

There are some guys in the wk section that are running without the front sway bar, the only issue is the premature worn of the cv but they can still handle some abuse
christiang26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiang26 View Post
There are some guys in the wk section that are running without the front sway bar, the only issue is the premature worn of the cv but they can still handle some abuse
Carry spares

To much flex and still had the swaybar connected.Main reason the IFS went bye-bye.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu View Post
Anybody know if there is a quick disconnect aftermarket mod for the WK2 to enable better articulation off road? Or if there are away bars of a more moderate length allowing more wheel travel?

Thanks
Unfortunately for the folks that want to use the WK2 for "hard core" off road, it has become softer than the WK which is softer than the solid axle WJ that preceded it which is softer than ... making it a heck of a challenge for rock climbers. Those of us that do a lot of highway cruising and need something that handles severe weather and can tow a decent load without breaking a sweat are not complaining.

The WK2 is not going to articulate, not enough rebound... lots of other issues and road blocks in the way. Nothing more than relatively short lift kits are available (lifts to about the same height as the QL), and a few decent tires. Useful articulation will require ripping the body off the OEM suspension and shoving something else under it, what someone may do someday. Now if you can get by with two or three wheels on the ground grabbing traction, it is not a problem... but I think the WK2 components may be too weak to take much abuse. You may find articulation may be overrated in most cases.

As fas as lockers, unlike QDs of the past, the WK2 QD rear is a true locker. The primary purpose of which is to lock the rear when the driver mashes the STR8 throttle (the transfer case also locks). Thats most of what Jeeps means when they say the system anticipates the driver. The older system needed a bit of wheel spin to limit slip, so locking quicker can slice maybe .2 seconds off the 0-60 times... Anyway its a locker that happens to also be useful in severe weather and off road (as long as you don't need much articulation). You just can't manually control it. Jeep engineers found that a front locker or ELSD provided no benefit as the processing power within the new traction control computer and brake traction control can more than make up for the front in severe weather or "mild" off road. No need for 0-60 as there is little weigh on the front when the throttle is mashed. So the WK2 4WD system may be the best ever, but its more of a road/severe weather and tow truck than a challenging trail off road truck.

The way we solved wanting to out an play on the rocks is we throw the old CJ on a trailer and use the WK2 to tow it to trailheads.

Vendors are not interested in making up different WK gears, let alone lockers for us. The old style limited slip gears are too big to fit into the front diff housing, so it would be somewhat difficult machining ($$$) to stuff in. And the rear QD already has a locker. You just can't pull the axles out of a WK2 and shove a ford axle under without a masive amount os rework. The WK2 pumpkins are solidly mounted to the frame, not floating with the axle... and the axle shafts are short... plenty of challenges.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
misiu

Thank you, that was VERY informative. I appreciate all the great replies.

What is so sad is that small comment above about towing the more capable jeep with our WK2...so very sad.

But my questions are answered.

I will slap on better skid plates, try to fit 33" tires (maybe on Rubi 17" wheels for better sidewalks??), and get upgraded rock rails and sliders to protect me from boulders (and shopping carts). And tow hooks in the rear (stuns me that those are not standard since that is where I need to hook up to strap others out of trouble!).

And I'm gonna try it out...though I'll go on a Jeep Jamboree to ensure that I can be recovered if I do break down.

ONE last question: does the ORAII package offer anything not listed on the website such as special sealing of parts? Otherwise I might look at getting the Quadra drive option on the new CRD Overland without quadra lift allowing me to add lift kits. I would replace the skid plates anyway and can add front tow hooks. Thoughts?

Thanks to all for your assistance.
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You probably will find that, unless its a Summit, you have to get the ORAII package to get quadra drive, and QRAII includes QL. I don't think there is anyway to get a 2014 from the factory with QD without QL (QL is standard on the Summit). Its one of the marketing things that bug many of us here.

There is no special sealing or parts.

Most WK2 customers would rather not compromise the on road manners for the adaptability to challenging off road situations. 95% are probably mall crawlers. Independent suspension is so much better on road than solid axles. Making an independent suspension with enough articulation and the right tire angles plus durable is way costly, not that difficult with solid axles.
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
misiu

I ran through the different trim levels from Laredo to Overland (didn't bother with Summit as it doesn't offer the right options) on the Jeep site.

Laredo and Limited wont work, BUT you can configure a CRD 2014 (thinking torque) with a Quadra Drive option IF you don't choose ORAII. The Quadra Lift doesn't then get added.

I can add tow hooks, either 17 or 18 inch tires, rock rails, and improved skid plates...what I can't add is a steel suspension that the Quadra Lift nixes. At least that is what shows on the summary if you select an Overland, then choose Quadra Drive under powertrain instead of ORAII under packages.

Might be a loophole! Remember that the Trailhawk II prototype also used a steel suspension and not a quadra lift this last March.

No telling of course if the Jeep site is correct!
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, swing by a dealer and see if they can order it that way. That's the only sure way to tell. It only takes them 10 minutes. They'll be happy to see if they can configure something you'd be willing to buy.

When I purchased my 2011, you could configure a Limited with QD, no QL... but Jeep would not let any dealer order one that way, QD at the time was restricted to Overlands.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.