Stupid dealer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Stupid dealer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
soulpatch
2012 WK 

Stupid dealer

Well I took the truck to the dealer for the hitch install and wiring. $450 for it all installed parts included was up my alley to not have to worry about it with my limited time off from work.

Yeah well I should have done it myself. The dealer put a small scratch in the plastic of the rear bumper AND screwed up the bumper cut somewhat as the bezel is not flush to the bumper. SO now I have to call the dealer tomorrow to ***** and see if they will get it back in to fix their problems OR allow me to take it to another dealer to have it fixed.

It was bad enough it took them ALL day (9 hours) working on my truck to do this fairly simple job. So the end of my first week with the truck turned into a crappy one after seeing the install this morning when it was light enough to see.

soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A dealer would be my last choice for that job. Why not use a hitch expert in your area? U-Haul even?
Redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
soulpatch
2012 WK 

Taking it to the dealer to have the mopar hitch put on has it as a dealer installed accessory and thus covered via the warranty I do believe. Not to mention I would have had to go to them anyway for the computer flash to activate the wiring harness
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

I'd make them re do it Fo sho, 9 hours is a bogus joke especially if the job was half asss or sloppy. I had a dealer in New Mexico do it on my old 2011 within 3.5 hours flash included. Good luck brother
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
soulpatch
2012 WK 

Have to have them document that they scratched the bottom of the bumper too since it is a lease (another reason I had to go with the Mopar hitch and have the dealer install....
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

I made my dealer replace my rear bumper back on my '98 Grand Cherokee when they scratched it.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
soulpatch
2012 WK 

I am not as concerned with the scratch as you cant see it unless you get up to it in the plastic but they darn well will note it in writing that they did it so I have that on file. And they will be fixing the bezel too so it sites perfectly flush.
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
tfandango

Welcome to the "my dealer can't install a hitch" club
tfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
soulpatch
2012 WK 

This goes to the dealer tomorrow to show them so hopefully it is taken care of and I dont have to threaten anything for it to be resolved....
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
BMRisko
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboots View Post
A dealer would be my last choice for that job. Why not use a hitch expert in your area? U-Haul even?
No offense, but U-Haul would be the last place I'd take anything. Heck, I wouldn't even rent a moving truck from them!
BMRisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

For me, it only confirms why I'll never buy a vehicle unless it came factory equipped with tow package.

Just because you put a hitch on it, doesn't mean you'll have the same tow rating as it's siblings that came with the tow package.
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
soulpatch
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Just because you put a hitch on it, doesn't mean you'll have the same tow rating as it's siblings that came with the tow package.
And why not if you use the exact same parts?
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the new GC's, but it used to be that a 'tow package' was more than just a hitch and wiring harness. It included things like heavy duty cooling, trans cooler, 'tow/haul' mode in the trans, etc. If you plan to tow anything, I would step up to the factory tow option or take a pass on buying that particular vehicle.

As far as BRMisko's comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRisko View Post
No offense, but U-Haul would be the last place I'd take anything. Heck, I wouldn't even rent a moving truck from them!
What's wrong with U-Haul? They probably install more hitches than anybody out there. Why wouldn't you rent a truck from them? They're only the largest moving truck rental company in the US.
Redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
soulpatch
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboots View Post
I'm not sure about the new GC's, but it used to be that a 'tow package' was more than just a hitch and wiring harness. It included things like heavy duty cooling, trans cooler, 'tow/haul' mode in the trans, etc. If you plan to tow anything, I would step up to the factory tow option or take a pass on buying that particular vehicle.
None of those are added on the 12 tow package. It is simply the hitch and wiring.

Quote:
As far as BRMisko's comment: What's wrong with U-Haul? They probably install more hitches than anybody out there. Why wouldn't you rent a truck from them? They're only the largest moving truck rental company in the US.
Having seen so many botched uhaul installs in my area I would never have them touch my truck. Not to mention that they cant add the wiring unless they do a patch job and hack into the lights instead of a real wiring kit to signal to the computer trailer is attached.

As for their trucks. They might be the largest and people use them but only since they dont have their own 36' trucks sitting around to be used. Every time I have used their trucks I have either had them break down, had crappy brakes, or had the door unable to be properly fully closed. They are crappy trucks that people use only out of complete and utter neccessity.
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Keep us posted on the outcome of your situation. I hope the dealership does the right thing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.