SRT in Buffalo Winters? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > SRT in Buffalo Winters?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #31
mgoneill70

I think the OP said he wasn't concerned with the heavy snow, but there would certainly be a difference between the Overland with a height adjustable suspension and the lowered suspension on the SRT. In fairly deep snow the SRT might be acting as a snow plow while the Overland should be riding above the snow line. At the end of the day, tires really make the difference.

mgoneill70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #32
Gunny7
2014 WK 

Surely you can find a 18in steel wheel(cheap?) that would fit the rotors and some relative narrow snow tires. Narrower than 265.
I'm so far from snow, I haven't looked, but ice sometime.
I do look for good wet traction AT-All Season tires that are listed --mud and snow.
Never know.
Some are. Got those sideways snipps built in
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
MattXJ
2014 WK 

The SRT is only lowered 1". There's still quite a fair bit of ground clearance.

No such thing as steel wheels that will fit the SRT.
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny7 View Post
Surely you can find a 18in steel wheel(cheap?) that would fit the rotors and some relative narrow snow tires. Narrower than 265.
I'm so far from snow, I haven't looked, but ice sometime.
I do look for good wet traction AT-All Season tires that are listed --mud and snow.
Never know.
Some are. Got those sideways snipps built in
You cannot go smaller than stock, the rotors on the srt are huge.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
MattXJ
2014 WK 

You can go narrower than stock, down to 20x9" wheels, so long as they are designed to fit over the calipers. There are a few manufacturers out there with a wheel in this size that will fit. That's what I am running for the winter.
Unread 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #36
fmesposito

Anyone have experience with the 2014 RT now that it has All season/3 Season Tires instead of the performance run flats?
fmesposito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #37
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Narrow tires

You want a narrow tire for a winter tire. As narrow as you can safely run.
A 40 series and snow dont mix well.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #38
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Had a few good snow falls so far this season. I'm really happy with my winter tire set-up, and how well the SRT performs. No complaints at all yet.

*edit*

We just had another 15cm snowfall today. Was out driving in various conditions, from hard-pack base, to deep snow, to heavy slush. Everything worked out really well. I even find the traction control system to be less intrusive than a number of my previous AWD vehicles, which would at time reduce power so drastically that it would literally leave you stranded/limp in the middle of a turn or acceleration. The system on my SRT seems to allow for a bit more spin before, and wait a little longer, before intervening. Then when it does, it seems to help more than hinder.

Snow mode, with 2nd gear starts, and less throttle sensitivity helps dramatically, but the SRT does indeed have a lot of power and the driver has to be conscious of this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.