SRT in Buffalo Winters? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > SRT in Buffalo Winters?

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I think that might be a little short-sighted on the part of the dealership. I can understand why they would want to go with the easy/safe answer though. Likely 1. they have to assume that the buyer won't invest in a good quality winter tire set-up, and/or 2. they're not familiar with how to work around the challenges in finding wheels/tires to fit the SRT in a narrower than stock configuration to allow for #1.

I strongly believe that if you go down to a narrower tire for winter, get the correct sized wheel for that tire, and buy a good quality (true) winter tire you'll be all set.

The SRT offers tons of technology to deal with snow conditions. There's a Snow mode, which optimizes the 4x4 torque split, shift patterns and throttle sensitivity. There's advanced traction control, and an ELSD in the rear diff.

I can't see how you wouldn't fare out equally as well as any other model JGC.

NB. driver common-sense is implied, regardless of the rig

Unread 11-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
RllyDrvrIX
2012 WK 

Guys making it hard for me to stay with the '12 Overland....
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
DiodeDynamics
Jeep Lighting Experts
2011 JK Wrangler 

Nick C.

Lighting / Acrylic Your Source For Jeep Lighting and Acrylic
We have the LOWEST PRICES around... check us out! > www.diodedynamics.com
DiodeDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
Gunny7
2014 WK 

Thing I have read and seen is, unless you have the locking rear end, -The off-road Adventure package- all of these things have a traction control that brakes the spinning wheel.
In a slippery situation where all wheels might slip, seems to me, this system will just keep braking you down until you are stopped.
Is that possible.
The cars, except for the SRTs are like this.
Open rear differentials.
I don't know why Chrysler does this.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
Gunny7
2014 WK 

If I lived in Boston I would but some 20in steel wheels and snow tires for them. Brimstone Blizzard? Come to mind.
Put them on and go.
SRTs have the locking rear diff and all the bells and traction whistles.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
LouC
2007 WK 

I've driven both of my Jeeps in North Eastern winters and never needed 4low. If anything, the gear reduction of low will make it easier to get stuck on slick surfaces. I have used studded tires on both and they easily went through the worst conditions here. On the WK is was able to get factory steel 17"
Wheels ($77 ea) with the tpms valves ($40 ea) so the cost wasnt too bad. I have General Altimax Arctic studded on the WK.
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny7 View Post
Thing I have read and seen is, unless you have the locking rear end, -The off-road Adventure package- all of these things have a traction control that brakes the spinning wheel.
In a slippery situation where all wheels might slip, seems to me, this system will just keep braking you down until you are stopped.
Is that possible.
Open rear differentials.
It won't brake both sides at the same time, just the one that is spinning faster than the other. On most cars and trucks you can just shut it off as it will not only use the brakes but cut throttle too. On a Grand Cherokee (or any jeep with the brake lock differentials) you can shut off the traction control but keep the brake lock diffs, so you can spin the tires and it won't cut throttle. This is especially true with select terrain in the mud setting.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
LouC
2007 WK 

My 98 ZJ has open diffs front and rear, no traction control and even with the selec trac 4x4 in the full time position, (open center diff) I never got stuck with snow tires. I was able to get some tail out behavior around turns, and if the conditions were really bad I shifted it into part time which locked the front and rear driveshafts and with that I could go anywhere. Keep in mind good winter tires benefit both turning and braking to a very significant extent. If you have the kind of job where you have to get to work no matter what, its a good investment. We have very steep hills and frequent icing conditions and the studded snows really help. In th norh east blizzard of Feb 8th 2013 I drove home in the WK in rush hour traffic, up hills that left front drive suv's hoplessly spinning wheels, the traction control came on only once for a split second, that's how much more traction the studded tires give you. This was about 6" of snow on top of ice on hills.
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny7 View Post
Is that possible.
Open rear differentials.
SRTs comes standard with ELSD, for most other wk2 models it is optional. In an SRT you don't want stinking brakes slowing you down

The mistake many drivers make when wheels start spinning is not mashing the throttle, the vehicle may slow, but you need to keep giving it gas to work. Otherwise it may just stop. Traction control applies pulsing brake action similar to ABS.

Locking diffs are expensive and do have some quirks.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
It won't brake both sides at the same time, just the one that is spinning faster than the other. On most cars and trucks you can just shut it off as it will not only use the brakes but cut throttle too. On a Grand Cherokee (or any jeep with the brake lock differentials) you can shut off the traction control but keep the brake lock diffs, so you can spin the tires and it won't cut throttle. This is especially true with select terrain in the mud setting.
Dunno what you mean by brake lock diff, maybe I'm not reading it right. Unless you have a WK2 with an ELSD, your diffs are completely open. Jeep uses the "brake lock diff" term for their brake traction control system. Other Jeep models may be different.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

Dunno what you mean by brake lock diff, maybe I'm not reading it right. Unless you have a WK2 with an ELSD, your diffs are completely open. Jeep uses the "brake lock diff" term for their brake traction control system. Other Jeep models may be different.
That's what I mean. But I mean you can drive around with the traction control on and it will cut throttle and apply brakes to transfer power. Or you can shut the traction control off and it will only apply brakes to transfer the power. The term brake lock differentials is what they used in the owners manual of my wife's.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
I think that might be a little short-sighted on the part of the dealership. I can understand why they would want to go with the easy/safe answer though. Likely 1. they have to assume that the buyer won't invest in a good quality winter tire set-up, and/or 2. they're not familiar with how to work around the challenges in finding wheels/tires to fit the SRT in a narrower than stock configuration to allow for #1.

I strongly believe that if you go down to a narrower tire for winter, get the correct sized wheel for that tire, and buy a good quality (true) winter tire you'll be all set.

The SRT offers tons of technology to deal with snow conditions. There's a Snow mode, which optimizes the 4x4 torque split, shift patterns and throttle sensitivity. There's advanced traction control, and an ELSD in the rear diff.

I can't see how you wouldn't fare out equally as well as any other model JGC.

NB. driver common-sense is implied, regardless of the rig
All of the high tech electronics are only as good as your tires. Tires make traction not electronics. High speed rated tires such as those on the SRT8 get hard as a rock in freezing temps.
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

I've not driven my SRT yet in the snow but it's my new DD and I have the Verde All seasons, They seem to be decently soft in 30+ degree weather. and have a decent tread pattern they are not serve weather rated but, Im not Spending $2500 for a set of tires and rims i use 3 months out of the year. I drove in an Ice storm with my 2011 Laredo with stock fortera's in snow mode. the 4wd drive system is amazing compared to my WJ i used to have. When my verde's are used up prob by the end of summer next yr ill be doing DWS's because they have a 50k warranty.

The SRT has the snow mode all 2nd gear starts and 80% less throttle and 50/50 TQ split.

It's about the Tires and Driver.

Factory Repro's have a 20x9 gen1 SRT rim that fits the Wk2 Massive Brembo's then you can chose to put other size tires on it. a 265/50/20 will work.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
All of the high tech electronics are only as good as your tires. Tires make traction not electronics. High speed rated tires such as those on the SRT8 get hard as a rock in freezing temps.
lol! Recommended reading: page 1 of this thread. Very good point tho, I completely agree... on page 1.
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
LouC
2007 WK 

The reason why I say this, is that in my region, no one uses winter tires unless they are skiers. Every time we get a bad snow storm, I see a number of high tech vehicles going no where, on all season or even worse high performance tires. I know that with anything more than a 17" rim we get into an expensive proposition when you add it all up, plus the TPMS sensors add to that. BUT, if you avoid an accident or two over the years....not a bad investment....plus your regular tires last longer, because they are not used in the winter months....
Tire tech has come so far that I'm considering a Dodge Challenger R/T for a fun car, we had rear drives back in the day (70s--full size GMs) and the way we got around was primitive Firestone Town & Country studded snows (later on got more sophisticated and used Gislaved studded snows) and put 4 bags of sand in the trunk, I'm not kidding, for weight. Oh and our traction control? That was when you got stuck on ice on one side, you pulled out the release for the parking brake and pumped the parking brake pedal to send power across the open diff to the side with traction. Don't laugh it works.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.