SRT in Buffalo Winters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > SRT in Buffalo Winters?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
RllyDrvrIX
2012 WK 

SRT in Buffalo Winters?

Okay, how is the GC SRT in snow. Not 12+" blizzard snow but roads with hardpack or 2-3" of the white stuff ...

Thinking about an upgrade but want to know if my '12 GC Overland is going to surpass an SRT in winters.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I think it really depends more on the tires you choose. Otherwise they're pretty comparable.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Tires will be the biggest deciding factor.

The deeper the snow, the narrow tires will do better and if that translates to the Overland doing better because of narrower rims (resulting in a narrower tire) then that'll have an effect as well.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The SRT will not have low range 4x4, if you think that makes any difference for your situation. Have you ever had to use low range? Otherwise its just a tire thing. The OEM SRTs tires are wider which means you will float over snow more, be thrown about by slush, but may have more traction on sheer ice. You may not be able to throw overland wheels and tires on the SRT as the SRT has massive calipers. Folks do drive SRTs in the snow, however. I dunno how the OEM SRT tires compare to the overland's forteras for snow traction. Forteras are nothing to write home about.
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
RllyDrvrIX
2012 WK 

Great feedback, thank you! More to follow....
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Really wanted the SRT but was told that for snowy winters, a tire change was a must.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

4WL is important to me. We had a freak snow last year that piled up 10" in about 3 hours. There was a black WK that did not have 4 wheel low but was more like an AWD/All time system. He couldn't go anywhere (about 4 inches of snow), and ended up sliding into a ditch. In order for the all time system to kick in, he had to be spinning already and couldn't get a bit of traction. I ended up pulling him out.

Maybe it was a fluke, but 4WD Low made my day a lot better that night.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Kev M
2012 WK 

I don't have any direct answers for the OP, but I DO have some thoughts on the subject with relation to these comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hur1ey02 View Post
4WL is important to me. We had a freak snow last year that piled up 10" in about 3 hours. There was a black WK that did not have 4 wheel low but was more like an AWD/All time system. He couldn't go anywhere (about 4 inches of snow), and ended up sliding into a ditch. In order for the all time system to kick in, he had to be spinning already and couldn't get a bit of traction. I ended up pulling him out.

Maybe it was a fluke, but 4WD Low made my day a lot better that night.
Down in this corner of PA we USUALLY get a couple of blizzards per year.

Honestly, I can't imagine the snow in VA is any worse (Hurley), but maybe the OP is getting some lake effect stuff so it is more often?

For about 2 decades now I've owned predominantly AWD and/or 4WD vehicles, usually (but not always) with snow tires. Not because I NEEDED THEM (99% of the people around here drive cars with all seasons and that's it, but even then I've had friends with RWD cars and snow tires, or AWD and all seasons etc. who typically have no real problems).

And honestly, during that time I (or someone in the family, usually my wife, has had a FWD car too).

I've HAVE NEVER, not even once, NEEDED 4Low because of snow.

Hell, I drove a Subaru Baja (with snow tires) over 100 miles in a blizzard a few years ago with OVER 1 foot of unplowed snow ON THE PA TURNPIKE (you don't even want to know about the 30 miles of backroads I had to take after I got off the tpke). But it made it no problems.

I found the proliferation of TPMS to be the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I stopped buying snow tires with wheel packages for my cars. It's just no longer worth the effort for limited benefit.

As such I still like AWD because it helps to divide the load among the available traction and make up for the all-seasons.

SO unless you are driving in the peak of a blizzard, have tons of unplowed roads to travel, or need to cross an entire field of ice you probably don't NEED snow tires (as long as you're smart, know your limits, and realize you have no braking advantage without them). And I REALLY REALLY think you don't NEED 4low.

Now the SRT offers a couple of challenges - specifically LOTS of hp and HARDER/WIDER tires which means you would have to watch it. Keep traction control on etc.

Cold Case already gave the best answer - and I suspect it will really depend on how much and how aggressively you want to drive in the rough stuff. If you're careful I SUSPECT you'll generally be fine.

IF you can find winter tires and wheels that fit on the SRT, I suspect you'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
RllyDrvrIX
2012 WK 

Loll great stuff, thank you.

I'm going to stay with the Overland for now. Maybe next year!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
MrBreeze

I had a Cayenne Turbo when they came out 10 years ago and if there was one thing I learned back then about high powered SUV's was that you needed to control the power and that was not always the easiest thing to do. I had two sets of wheels and tires for the Porsche and I'd probably do the same thing if I had bought the SRT instead of the Summit. Though I must say I am now one of those who does not think these big vehicles need to be that fast. That photo looks like a place not far from me in Lafayette Hill
MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
That photo looks like a place not far from me in Lafayette Hill
I'm not far...in Kennett Square.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post

Now the SRT offers a couple of challenges - specifically LOTS of hp and HARDER/WIDER tires which means you would have to watch it. Keep traction control on etc.
I have some other challenges to add to this... The SRT has BIG brakes.. really big, giving you more expensive and less choices if you are thinking about getting a winter set of wheels and tires.. and to add to a concern Ryan had on tire width, how many skinny sets of 20 inch rims will you be able to find for that bolt pattern and offset?

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Yeah, I imagine the rim size will make it tough to find winter treads for the SRT. Tire Rack only lists 1 winter tire for the SRT8, a Pirelli, and its about $1500 for all 4. They typically list optional rim sizes, but the brakes (as mentioned above) may make it impossible to go down a size. I would call around to your local tire dealers and see if they offer anything more aggressive. I would suggest an all-terrain as an alternative, but Tire Rack didn't list any for the SRT. That's the worst part about this, because tires make all the difference. The stocks on our 2012 completely suck, and slide everywhere. The winter treads made a huge difference, even in just rain.

I've had 4x4s for 18 yrs now, and I think I've used 4Lo maybe 5 times, always for off-highway situations. Unless you're tackling some really gnarly drifts, or end up in the ditch, I think you'll be okay, lol. Though this is Buffalo you're talking about, it may happen!
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
MattXJ
2014 WK 

There's lot of great options out there for SRT owners. I was able to find a set of replica rims, in a narrower size, that still cleared the brake calipers, that were reasonably priced, and allowed me to go down to a 265/50/R20 tire for winter. While there's very few winter tire options in the stock size, at 265 there's plenty! Very happy with my set-up.

The problem at TireRack is that they don't carry any 20x9 rims that will fit the SRT. They are out there, from a few manufacturers, just TireRack doesn't carry them. As soon as you drop down from 20x10 (stock) to 20x9, it opens up tons of tire options.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
StaticFX

Outside Rochester here, so i Know the OP's concern lol.. we can get walloped!.. the dealer near me has been selling 2014 SRTs (about 1 / month) - last time i was in I asked about winter (not that i can afford one, i was just curious because of the power/tires/etc) they said most buyers dont drive in the snow or only in very little snow. Yeah i would keep your current or get a winter car for those days that we get 1'+
StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.