Spare Tire - 18" Rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Spare Tire - 18" Rims

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 01-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
PMHSLight

Spare Tire - 18" Rims

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Off Road Adventure Package which gives me a Full size STEEL spare (Not the exact same rim that I have on the Jeep). Does anyone know if I were to go out and buy another Factory Stock Rim (Limited 18" Rim) if It would fit in the spare tire compartment once mounted on a standard Stock Tire (Identical to what is on the Jeep now)? Basically, if I were to get a flat, Id like to be able to put the identical tire and wheel on similar to how a wrangler carries the exact same tire and rim as a spare. Would the tire compartment cover close all the way and be flush?
Anyone tried this?

PMHSLight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Steiner84
2014 WK 

Short answer, no.

Since you have the 18's, I assume you are running stock 265/60R18 right now. I just upgraded mine to 275/65R18 and thus, changed out the spare so it has the same diameter. So the spare I have in my compartment right now is a 255/70R18, thinner than your stockers. The lid on my compartment rests on the tire; it doesn't fully close. The bottom of the lid sits flush with the top of the cargo area. So it doesn't fall into the recess, but there's also no visible gap into the compartment.
Steiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are also some discussion in the wheel and tire sticky thread about which tire sizes fit in the spare compartment.
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

In addition to the above, the full size spare is the same diameter as the tires on your four corners, but it's "thinner" so it fits under the cargo cover. And just so you know, that same spare is used on vehicles that have 20" wheels...again, the tire diameter is the same.
Unread 01-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Gunny7
2014 WK 

Tire dia is important with some of these electrical stability and locking rear ends.
I wouldnt worry about the looks if you get a flat.
I saw a Corvette going down the road with the 4 in wide spare.
But it was going. Thats the important thing.
Those little spares are built to aircraft standards by the way.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Gunny7, JGC requires all four tires to be the same diameter more or less for the reason you state...the drive train. Width is no matter so "donuts" work for the JGC as long as they are full diameter. For vehicles with the towing package, the "full size" spare is required for weight handling so if you have to swap in the spare, your load is properly supported. Can't use a "donut" for that situation.
Unread 01-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMHSLight View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Off Road Adventure Package which gives me a Full size STEEL spare (Not the exact same rim that I have on the Jeep). Does anyone know if I were to go out and buy another Factory Stock Rim (Limited 18" Rim) if It would fit in the spare tire compartment once mounted on a standard Stock Tire (Identical to what is on the Jeep now)? Basically, if I were to get a flat, Id like to be able to put the identical tire and wheel on similar to how a wrangler carries the exact same tire and rim as a spare. Would the tire compartment cover close all the way and be flush?
Anyone tried this?
Imhave done this and yes the REAL full size spare is a little wider then the so called full time steel size spare.
But the cover still works.
Just don't fit a wider tyre then standard
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

I have an 18'" sahara take off in mine, I had to trim the foam on the jack holder and it is a tight fit that will not allow you to use the trays but it works, I still have other things in there just not as nice getting at them without the trays.

Can not remember tire size of the top of my head, but they are stock sahara.
dtrkyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
mike718
2014 WK 

I have a full size 20" spare in the spare compartment right now with no problem and the cover is still able to cover it, the same should also be with the 18".
mike718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner84 View Post
Short answer, no.

Since you have the 18's, I assume you are running stock 265/60R18 right now. I just upgraded mine to 275/65R18 and thus, changed out the spare so it has the same diameter. So the spare I have in my compartment right now is a 255/70R18, thinner than your stockers. The lid on my compartment rests on the tire; it doesn't fully close. The bottom of the lid sits flush with the top of the cargo area. So it doesn't fall into the recess, but there's also no visible gap into the compartment.
I'm running the same size spare and have no trouble closing the lid. Did you remove the styrofoam spacer underneath the spare?
FreeJersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
PMHSLight

Thank you all for the feedback. I havent bought an extra rim and tire yet but I feel confident that as long as I stick to a stock rim and tire it should hopefully fit!
Unread 01-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
FreeJersey
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMHSLight View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. I havent bought an extra rim and tire yet but I feel confident that as long as I stick to a stock rim and tire it should hopefully fit!
You may want to check that. I'm not so sure a 265 will fit in the well. Why not just pull one off and see for yourself?
FreeJersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJersey View Post
You may want to check that. I'm so sure a 265 will fit in the well. Why not just pull one off and see for yourself?
I agree with this thought...test that the fit will be to your liking with one of the wheels/tires already on the vehicle before you spend money on an extra wheel and tire. There is a reason that the factory "full size" spare is the size it is width wise.
Unread Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #14
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

Im using the stock 18"wheel and 265/60/18 general something with good tread at 34psi.
I have a spare that looks like a crappy donut, no idea if they call it full size, it's sad.
[IMG][/IMG]

I put the 18" in with the compartment easily, and the trays locked in and made no difference. but.
[IMG][/IMG]
The lid was held open barely the thickness.
[IMG][/IMG]

With a good push it latched and the leading and trailing edges where flush, the sides where about 95% lined up. I'm doubtful if the stress will ever cause any damage
I also tossed a JK wheel with a 255/70/17 in and it closed the same without the trays. The Jk 17's won't clear my calipers though so.

Yes a stocker 18 will fit full pressure with a small push to latch the lid.
I'm excited to know as I really like having a matching 5th on a road vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.