Someone with part number expertise please help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Someone with part number expertise please help!

I need a replacement Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor (radar sensor for the Forward Collision Warning). From what I can tell, the part number for the sensor itself for my 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland is 68137576AC. But I have also found one with the part number of 68109355AF that seems to be listed for '14 and upcoming '15s. Will this new AF work in my '12? I see possibilities that the 68109355AF replaces the AC module. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Usually when there is a new/revised interchangeable part replacement, it will have the same numbers but different letters on the end. Those two look to be two different parts not interchangeable, but I dunno.

A dealer is going to check your VIN for the part that fits and will not likely sell one that doesn't match your VIN regardless. I think some 14s came with stop and go and may use a different control module and maybe the sensor. Dunno if you can retrofit.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Usually when there is a new/revised interchangeable part replacement, it will have the same numbers but different letters on the end. Those two look to be two different parts not interchangeable, but I dunno.

A dealer is going to check your VIN for the part that fits and will not likely sell one that doesn't match your VIN regardless. I think some 14s came with stop and go and may use a different control module and maybe the sensor. Dunno if you can retrofit.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. It does not look to be backward compatible. I called a dealership and inquired and they seemed to believe that the newer part would not work. I was asking because I have what appears to be a small crack in the lens of the module causing an obstruction fault. I found this newer module on ebay for $50 if no one beat me in the bidding (a few hours left with 0 bids).....I asked the dealer about the price....a whopping $2,120.00 So, I pulled the trigger on the correct part number on ebay for $200.00 I've got my fingers crossed.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

I'll guess it's not backward compatible because the whole electrical system is different for the MY14/15 than it was for the MY11-12-13 vehicles.

And yea...that's a "ching...ching..." $$$$ part!

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Okay, I got the new one in and it seems functional.....but, there's always a but. I think I'll need to go to the dealership anyway to get it calibrated. The new one seems like it won't work because it is in "Plant Mode." Does anyone have any experience here? Is this something that cannot be done outside of a dealership visit?

Thanks,
post #6 of 11 Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Dunno but service manual says:

One fixed ball stud (4) and two adjustable ball studs (3) secure the sensor housing through a snap fit into three molded plastic ball socket clips installed in the mounting bracket. The sensor pivots on the fixed ball stud while the two adjustable ball studs allow the sensor to be vertically aligned after installation using an ACC vertical alignment special tool and a 3.5 millimeter hex nut driver special tool. Horizontal alignment is performed electronically using a diagnostic scan tool during a ten minute drive at a steady, predetermined speed following completion of the vertical alignment.

The adaptive speed control sensor (also known as the Adaptive Cruise Control/ACC sensor or module, or the radar sensor or module) requires alignment whenever the ACC sensor is removed and reinstalled, whenever front end structural repairs are performed or whenever a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates ACC sensor adjustment is required. Sensor alignment consists of performing the mechanical vertical alignment described in the following procedure, followed by the electronic horizontal alignment that is performed with a diagnostic scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Dunno but service manual says:

Horizontal alignment is performed electronically using a diagnostic scan tool during a ten minute drive at a steady, predetermined speed following completion of the vertical alignment.
I guess this answers my question......needs to be hooked up to scan tool and driven to set. To the dealership I go......
Attached Thumbnails
20140720_102246.jpg  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-27-2015, 05:53 PM
mrbillishere
2004 WJ 

This thread came up after a quick search for ACC radar bracket so I thought I'd post this info here.

For anyone looking for the 'molded plastic ball socket clips' that are installed in the mounting bracket and which hold the ball studs tight in the bracket, search for these part numbers:

68186439AA ; 05165704AA; 68271103AA

I found them available at http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/

Mine got a bit torn up due to a light brush with a curb that was located at the front of a parking space over the weekend, and now the sensor is moving around a little in its housing because the bottom one is not tight enough. I'm getting intermittent errors on my dash. I'm hoping these will do the trick.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-27-2015, 07:22 PM
DavidsCyclops
2014 WK 

Holy cow, that is an expensive little part. About $1400 retail.

#1 thankfully I got the Mopar MaxCare Lifetime Service Contract

#2 thankfully I have full coverage insurance.

'14 GC Overland 3.6L, 02-25-15, 21,498 miles.
RIP - '05 GC Laredo 3.7L, 02-19-15, 412,646 miles.

Speedometer for SALE
post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 PM
BolderGuy
2013 WK 

I smacked the bumper while wheeling over the holiday weekend. Dealer just quoted me $2200 for parts. They said they tested the module and it is working but the bracket is cracked so it won't hold position - thus giving me an intermittent error on the ACC/FCW. I asked why they didn't just get me a new bracket?
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...sembly=1218428 and
http://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts

(corrected the link -Thanks Cold)

"Oh, it's all one piece."

Bulll**** or idiot? I hate dealing with them and will have to take it back after I buy a bracket and fix it so they can align it. Argh.

3rd GC. ZJ, WJ and now WK2. Decked out Limited with OME 2.5 lift running 275/55/20s.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Forum sponsor moparonlineparts sells it for a bit less money I think, if it makes any difference to you. There seems to be some difference between 2012 and 2013... just saying your profile indicates a 2013, but the page you reference may be for a 2012.

http://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.