Slightly different oil change thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Slightly different oil change thread

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
SPL170db

Slightly different oil change thread

Would you call me stupid for this?

So in purchasing my Jeep from the dealer the salesman informed me that I'm entitled to free oil changes for the life of the vehicle. Not bad deal right? I've already taken advantage of 1 oil change thus far. I suspect that they just change with whatever is the cheap **** they have lying around the dealership. So, I was wanting to switch over to Rotella T6 (full synthetic) $40 for the oil from Wallyworld and another $6 for filter and do it myself.

$46 waste of money? What say you?

SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
djeeping

new vehicle: you got free oil change, but not free maintenance. once you skip schedule, your warranty voided. non-mopar filter - warranty voided. according to schedule, every 3K miles oil change. probably even more frequently on some vehicles that already have oil change reminder computer, based on driving habits and temp. fluctuations, but not based on oil quality, as it should be, if it was possible. new jeep - you stuck with dealership for at list 3 years.
djeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
SPL170db

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeping View Post
new vehicle: you got free oil change, but not free maintenance. once you skip schedule, your warranty voided. non-mopar filter - warranty voided. according to schedule, every 3K miles oil change. probably even more frequently on some vehicles that already have oil change reminder computer, based on driving habits and temp. fluctuations, but not based on oil quality, as it should be, if it was possible. new jeep - you stuck with dealership for at list 3 years.

I think you may be misinformed on several points you made up there.
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
JeremiahB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
I think you may be misinformed on several points you made up there.
Agreed
JeremiahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
john07slade
2011 WK 

john07slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
djeeping

o.k.
djeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

follow the manual written by the vehicle manufacturer! It's not difficult, people.

Change the oil every 8k miles (or as needed). Period.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
SPL170db

FYI, in case anyone missed what exactly I was asking here.......

The reason I'm doing it myself is because I want to put sythetic oil in, as opposed to getting regular oil change for free from dealer. I didn't think to ask them, but I doubt they will change w/ full synthetic oil for free, yeah?

I wasn't asking for instructions on how and when to change the oil myself
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
FYI, in case anyone missed what exactly I was asking here.......

The reason I'm doing it myself is because I want to put sythetic oil in, as opposed to getting regular oil change for free from dealer. I didn't think to ask them, but I doubt they will change w/ full synthetic oil for free, yeah?

I wasn't asking for instructions on how and when to change the oil myself
That's even simpler, just ask the dealer to use synthetics and bill you for the difference. I've done that for years with companies that provide oil changes but not with the top tier oils. It usually adds about $40 to the service costs for something like a Jeep.

DO NOT use Rotella T6, that's diesel engine oil and NOT within the specs for the oil needed in your V6 JGC. Jeep RECOMMENDS 5W-30 that meets the Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395, Rotella ain't one of the brands that match those recommendations.

For those with the V8 it's even tougher, they REQUIRE 5W-20 to maintain operation of the MDS system.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
JTS97Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeping View Post
Man what are you talking about?

"according to schedule, every 3K miles oil change. probably even more frequently on some vehicles that already have oil change reminder computer"

I have no clue what this sentence even means. First off 3,000 miles is not even close to schedule for the new Grand Cherokee, then you go to say possibly even more frequently if the car has a oil change reminder?!? Most expensive cars come with some sort of oil life monitor computer but what in the world does that have to do with how often the dealer wants you to change your oil?

Ahhh whatever I dont even know why I tried to read into that post.

To answer the the original question no I highly doubt the dealership will use more expensive synthetic oil for the free oil change program. I have never heard of the oil your speaking of from Walmart I still just like to use Mobile One Synth in my vehicles. Its what came factory filled in my Corvette Z06, its reasonably priced and readily available from walmart in the 5qt jugs for under $25 bucks. Cant beat it so its what I will continue to use.

As stated in the other oil thread just go with the manufacturers suggested interval with the recommended grade of oil of your choice and you cant go wrong. If anybody says otherwise thats their opinion but not necessary.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
JTS97Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
That's even simpler, just ask the dealer to use synthetics and bill you for the difference. I've done that for years with companies that provide oil changes but not with the top tier oils. It usually adds about $40 to the service costs for something like a Jeep.

DO NOT use Rotella T6, that's diesel engine oil and NOT within the specs for the oil needed in your V6 JGC. Jeep RECOMMENDS 5W-30 that meets the Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395, Rotella ain't one of the brands that match those recommendations.

For those with the V8 it's even tougher, they REQUIRE 5W-20 to maintain operation of the MDS system.
^^^ what he said. Also, 5W20 is readily available at Walmart as well its what most Honda cars use also like the Accords etc etc. Mobile One 5W20 Synthetic is what I like.
Wonder why the OP wanted to use that stuff Rotella? I have never even heard of it and certainly never heard of it recommended in a normal gas engine.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How long do you plan on having this jeep. You are going to get well over 150,000 miles on regular dino oil. Most people will trade a vehicle in by then so why go synthetic. I would use the free oil changes.
Unread 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
darkrt
2011 WK 

Get the M1 5W20. Go to the dealer. Have them use your oil, get the change and filter free.
darkrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
^^^ what he said. Also, 5W20 is readily available at Walmart as well its what most Honda cars use also like the Accords etc etc. Mobile One 5W20 Synthetic is what I like.
Wonder why the OP wanted to use that stuff Rotella? I have never even heard of it and certainly never heard of it recommended in a normal gas engine.

James
Rotella T6 is HUGE with the touring motorcycle owners. $20 says the OP rides a Goldwing

I'll bet Wingers buy more of this from Wallymart than people who drive oil burners
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrt View Post
Get the M1 5W20. Go to the dealer. Have them use your oil, get the change and filter free.
He drives a V6, M1 5W20 is not the right oil for him. He needs 5W30 and neither of the M1 5W30's are Chrysler spec. It seems most of the Pennsoil Synthetics meet the rating and I'd bet the M1 does too but they simply haven't certified it.

Here's a great site to learn all you ever wanted to now about oil: Welcome

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.