Skids on 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland - Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Skids on 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland - Pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 277
Skids on 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland - Pics

Below are pics of the skid plates installed on my 2012 GC Overland:

img_0030.jpg   img_0034.jpg   img_0038.jpg   img_0040.jpg   img_0043.jpg  

wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
rockspyder
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: southern Maryland, western shore
Posts: 243
Are these different than the regular Off-Road plates?
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 277
Nope not that I'm aware of, just wanted to show what the skids looked like installed, especially the fuel tank ones that are a little more difficult to install.
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
rockspyder
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: southern Maryland, western shore
Posts: 243
So are these ones that you installed yourself?

We are (I think) about to purchase a 2012 Laredo that has the All Weather package. I'm thinking of trying to get/install the skid plates myself.
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
peckmv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: perry hall, maryland
Posts: 424
Just courious. Do you have to remove the skid plates to change the oil?
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
rockspyder
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: southern Maryland, western shore
Posts: 243
Looks to me that is the oil drin plug through that oval hole in the first picture. But, I could be wrong.
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 277
That is the oil drain plug in the first pic and no need to remove the skid plate to change oil. They are on to stay.
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
JGCCAYENNE
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20
What is the approximate weight of all the skid plates?

Thanks for the pictures.
JGCCAYENNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 277
They are heavy gauge steel but no idea as to overall weight. You have the front transfer case, front axle skid plate, and the fuel tank skid plates.
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
peckmv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: perry hall, maryland
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
That is the oil drain plug in the first pic and no need to remove the skid plate to change oil. They are on to stay.
What about the oil filter. Is that accessable with the plates on or is that removed from the top? Thanks in advance.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
What about the oil filter. Is that accessable with the plates on or is that removed from the top? Thanks in advance.
From the top, you just take the plastic engine cover off, then remove the cap off the oil canister. Remove the element, using a paper shop towel to avoid a mess, replace with new element and O ring & you are good to go. Drain the oil like you would on any car, with a drain plug.

Canister-free oil filter element — prevents landfill, allows incineration; also eases DIY oil changes and prevents ham-fisted oil change places from "holing" or over-tightening the filter.

From the Pentastar engines overview http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php:

"The advanced oil filter system eliminates oil spills, thanks to an incinerable filter element instead of the typical spin-on filters; the filter is conveniently located on top of the engine.
A chain-driven, vane-type variable displacement oil pump adjusts the flow rate and pressure as commanded by the engine management system, which uses a solenoid to drive the pump into low or high pressure mode. For example, below 3,500 rpm, the pump conserves energy by using low pressure; at speeds over 3,500 rpm, the pump switches to high pressure.
A force balance mechanism inside the oil pump adjusts the size of the pumping chambers to alter oil flow. If the oil is cold, the pump reduces the size of the internal chambers. When the oil is hot and thinner, more oil is needed, and a spring increases the size of the pump chambers. This also saves energy.
The pump is driven at a 1:1 drive ratio; its location under the block is more efficient than an on-crankshaft location. An internal, mechanical ball-and-spring relief valve dumps oil into the sump when needed, for conditions such as a cold start with high engine speed. Both pump and pressure regulation solenoid are non-serviceable.
The engine takes six quarts of oil with a filter change. Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended. The standard change interval, with this oil, is 8,000 miles under normal driving conditions. The oil pick-up tube is supported at the windage tray. Three oil gallery plugs are in the engine block; oil pressure an be monitored with a scan tool. Oil pressure and temperature sensors are on the oil filter housing assembly, which is mounted on top, between the heads; the oil cooler (a plate-style coolant to oil heat exchanger) is mounted to the oil filter housing as well. With Wrangler, specific upper and lower oil pan requirements have been engineered into the engine to provide increased grade requirements, keeping the oil within reach of the pump when the vehicle operates at steep angles".
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #12
peckmv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: perry hall, maryland
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
From the top, you just take the plastic engine cover off, then remove the cap off the oil canister. Remove the element, using a paper shop towel to avoid a mess, replace with new element and O ring & you are good to go. Drain the oil like you would on any car, with a drain plug.

Canister-free oil filter element — prevents landfill, allows incineration; also eases DIY oil changes and prevents ham-fisted oil change places from "holing" or over-tightening the filter.

From the Pentastar engines overview http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php:

"The advanced oil filter system eliminates oil spills, thanks to an incinerable filter element instead of the typical spin-on filters; the filter is conveniently located on top of the engine.
A chain-driven, vane-type variable displacement oil pump adjusts the flow rate and pressure as commanded by the engine management system, which uses a solenoid to drive the pump into low or high pressure mode. For example, below 3,500 rpm, the pump conserves energy by using low pressure; at speeds over 3,500 rpm, the pump switches to high pressure.
A force balance mechanism inside the oil pump adjusts the size of the pumping chambers to alter oil flow. If the oil is cold, the pump reduces the size of the internal chambers. When the oil is hot and thinner, more oil is needed, and a spring increases the size of the pump chambers. This also saves energy.
The pump is driven at a 1:1 drive ratio; its location under the block is more efficient than an on-crankshaft location. An internal, mechanical ball-and-spring relief valve dumps oil into the sump when needed, for conditions such as a cold start with high engine speed. Both pump and pressure regulation solenoid are non-serviceable.
The engine takes six quarts of oil with a filter change. Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended. The standard change interval, with this oil, is 8,000 miles under normal driving conditions. The oil pick-up tube is supported at the windage tray. Three oil gallery plugs are in the engine block; oil pressure an be monitored with a scan tool. Oil pressure and temperature sensors are on the oil filter housing assembly, which is mounted on top, between the heads; the oil cooler (a plate-style coolant to oil heat exchanger) is mounted to the oil filter housing as well. With Wrangler, specific upper and lower oil pan requirements have been engineered into the engine to provide increased grade requirements, keeping the oil within reach of the pump when the vehicle operates at steep angles".
I have the 5.7 hemi. Is it the same as the V6?
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 277
I have the 5.7 hemi. Is it the same as the V6?

This should answer your question, and includes some images:

http://wk2jeeps.com/5.7L_6.1L_oil_change.htm
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Terminator2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lecanto, Florida
Posts: 1,245
5.7 holds 7 quarts not 6.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
rockspyder
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: southern Maryland, western shore
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
From the Pentastar engines overview http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php:

".... With Wrangler, specific upper and lower oil pan requirements have been engineered into the engine to provide increased grade requirements, keeping the oil within reach of the pump when the vehicle operates at steep angles".
Hmmmm.... not sure I like what the implies about the Grand Cherokee. I mean, yeah, sure, the Wrangler is and likely will always be more of an off-road, rock-crawling machine. But what does this say about the capability of the Grand Cherokee? Admittedly, there is probably 0.001% chance I'm going to end up getting it to a "steep angle," but I would be interested to know what is considered "steep."

Guess I need to go check out that page in detail...

Also, one other thing. "Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended." Anyone know of synthetics being discouraged?

I guess if I could be patient enough to wait until we get ours, all would be explained...
rockspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.