Skid Plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Skid Plates

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Skid Plates

I know there is a lot of posts regarding Skid Plates, but I have not seen an answer to my question, and the dealership is no help.

I have a 2012 Overland with the off road package which includes a few nice things and a full array of skid plates. However, there is one skid plate that is plastic, near the passengers side. There has been postings that call out part number 68069365AA to replace a plastic skid plate. But that part number is on my Jeep and is metal. The dealership is telling me that the plastic shield is under my tranny. This can't be. Help

Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

#6 in this figure is the plate that gets discussed as plastic or steel. It should be steel on an ORA that has fuel tank shields. it connects between 2 (transfer case shield) and 8 (fuel tank shield) There some other "pans" that are plastic regardless.
i2275398.jpg  
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
nonopr01

There you go.
nonopr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

I got that #6 part installed with the front axle and transfer case skids by an autobody shop I use since my GC didn't come with the skid plates from the factory. I'll add the fuel tank ones eventually. My Jeep dealer kept telling me that I couldn't install the brake/fuel line skid strip (#6) because my VIN didn't allow for it. Apparently Jeep doesn't train their parts guys very well or else they would have seen that the #6 skid replaces the stock plastic one for non-skid plate group equipped GCs.

I had to just have my go-to autobody place order everything and install them because I was tired of explaining to Jeep what I wanted and have them basically say I was dumb for asking.
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Thanks all!
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I went back to the dealership and they put it up on the rack. My plastic cover\shield\ is the one behind the oil pan skid plate, it's under the tranny oil pan, before the transfer case. Right in the center of the Jeep. Refer to the picture by superserialMBP. Is this normal? If I roll a rock under the oil pan and hit that plastic cover I'll bust it up.
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
fuzzyz11
2007 JK Wrangler 

Super - how much did the auto body shop charge you to do the install? Did you go with the factory skids?
fuzzyz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I ordered the off road package so the skid plates came with it, from the factory. I'm just wondering why there is a plastic cover under the transmission pan, and not a metal skid plate.
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyz11 View Post
Super - how much did the auto body shop charge you to do the install? Did you go with the factory skids?
I had the autobody shop order the factory skids for me for basically the same price as Mopar lists, maybe a couple bucks under. The autobody shop charged me $130 labor for them. Jeep quoted me $175 labor so I was okay with that. I think others have gotten them installed for less on this forum, but $130 was okay for me for labor.
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Bump.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguide View Post
I ordered the off road package so the skid plates came with it, from the factory. I'm just wondering why there is a plastic cover under the transmission pan, and not a metal skid plate.

Weight savings?

Likely the same reason they use plastic shields on the gas tanks of GM & Ford trucks and SUV's.

I kind scratched my head about why our WK used plastic, but then it doesn't matter as I'm not going to be wheeling it hard enough to have to worry about causing real damage.

Our JKU Rubicon didn't even come with any skids for the oil pan or transmission. I guess that's why the aftermarket stepped up to address this.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I'm begining to assume that all 2012 JGC have the same plastic cover as mine. I'm not really too worried at this point because I have two old Jeeps for serious off road. This baby is for Forest Roads.
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
labjeep1
2012 WK 

Zj 2012 Grand Charokee Overland Summit

I just installed all 5 steel skid plates on my 2012 Overland Summit. They fit ine and were easy to install
labjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjeep1 View Post
I just installed all 5 steel skid plates on my 2012 Overland Summit. They fit ine and were easy to install
Did you have to mess with the fuel tanks to get the fuel tank skids to fit? I can't remember exactly but I thought you had to manipulate the fuel tanks to make the skids fit.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
WK2OZJEEP

When u installed the transmission skid plate did u have to remove the 2 small steel braces ?
WK2OZJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.