Sirius XM Resubscription - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
wildlycrazyWK2
2014 WK 

Sirius XM Resubscription

Has anyone recently attempted to contact Sirius XM to continue the same subscription that came with your Jeep? My initial, all included subscription runs out in early June. I called last night after receiving a mailing that noted a couple low cost subscription offers. I found they didn't include some of the channels I liked. So I got a price for the full package, excluding the two traffic packages and received a price of $199.00 +tax for a year long subscription. Based on what I've read in previous threads on the subject, I believe this to be a rather high price. I spoke with the initial representative and then again with another from the retention area. Neither really provided any movement in the subscription pricing.

Anyone recently do better than this pricing or should this be what's expected?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Dabitz
2015 WK 

The audio quality from Serius XM is terrible, I would never consider paying for that service. I rather pay Samsung $4/mo for their Milk (powered by Slacker) music. The difference in quality is day and night. This is assuming you have a smart phone with data to spare.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 02:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sirius's willingness to deal varies widely from day to day. Often if you wait till it expires, they will hound you with better offers. Of course all these come with auto renewal, so you use your disposable credit card

My spouse paid $230 a year including internet radio/access and taxes, so $199 is in the usual ball park.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #4 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 02:18 PM
wxman2003
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
The audio quality from Serius XM is terrible, I would never consider paying for that service. I rather pay Samsung $4/mo for their Milk (powered by Slacker) music. The difference in quality is day and night. This is assuming you have a smart phone with data to spare.
Jeep has upgraded the SiriusXM tuners in their radios in 2014. Sound quality is much better.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Dabitz
2015 WK 

In my 2015 Altitude the difference between XM and Pandora, Milk, etc. is night and day.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 02:46 PM
MarkSRT8
2012 WK 

Renewed on May 4 for 6 months for $5.37/month including tax and invoice fee. Would not increase time frame beyond the six months. In order to play the game I note my expiration date and call two days before to cancel service. At that time they will begin to make offers at the $199./year rate. I usually can get a five or six month deal. It is important to note that if you don't call and cancel you automatically renew at the standard rate which is at a much higher charge. I pay the $2.00 invoice fee so as to avoid giving them a credit card number which will make it more difficult to cancel.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM
ferntree

2014 WK 

We let ours expire and then about 10 days later the 50% off deals arrived. We don't use it much now since finding HD radio stations in our area. Sound difference is huge.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, rock rails, Cooper AT3's - oh yeah!!
Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
post #8 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM
pigbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSRT8 View Post
Renewed on May 4 for 6 months for $5.37/month including tax and invoice fee. Would not increase time frame beyond the six months. In order to play the game I note my expiration date and call two days before to cancel service. At that time they will begin to make offers at the $199./year rate. I usually can get a five or six month deal. It is important to note that if you don't call and cancel you automatically renew at the standard rate which is at a much higher charge. I pay the $2.00 invoice fee so as to avoid giving them a credit card number which will make it more difficult to cancel.
I've been playing this same game for a couple years now. Call in a couple days before you expire. Say no to their first 2 or 3 offers and eventually end up with 6 months for $30 or $35. Put a reminder on the calendar for 6 months out and repeat. It's a PITA, but it works, and that's the price I'm willing to pay.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 PM
wxman2003
2015 WK 

When I got my Jeep in March, my Audi still had 6 months left on current subscription. Of course, got the free 1 year from Jeep, and was able to extend that remaining 6 months left to an additional year for no extra charge. So in essence, I got 2 years for the price of 6 months. On top of it, since I had internet streaming package too, got that added for free for 1 year to the 1 year free Jeep subscription.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 11:54 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I just got a $20 plus tax for 5 months offer, as a point of reference. My subscription is currently expired.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #11 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 03:07 PM
dhasselbacher
2015 WK 

Even though our old '99 JGC Limited never had XM/Sirius, my '05 Acura TL does. Many years ago I joined the largest Acura owner's forum, and there is a massive thread there on satellite radio and how to get the BBD (Bigger and Better Deal). When I first started subscribing back in 2006, there was a special they called "ZWINBACK" and every year when we called we used the code, and sure enough it opened the door to an annual price of $77 for XM. That deal has pretty much gone away, but they of course still pepper former subscribers with the 5 months for $20 deal; there's an annual deal for about $90 if you really push them, etc.

The key is never to accept what they are offering. If you don't get what you want, have them transfer you until you get retention. Worst case, hang up and dial again and get a different rep. I have literally received 3 different offers on 3 different calls to 3 different reps within 20 minutes in years past. And like many other posters have said, if you go for auto-renewal make sure to set a reminder in your phone or somewhere else to call 2 days before or they will renew you at full price.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Smiley47
2014 WK 

I recently renewed my All Access plan (pricier but has several sports channels not on Sirius/XM Select) for $54 for 6 months plus the $2 invoice fee.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 PM
kryogen
2011 WK 

I pay 120$ a year CAN.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
post #14 of 23 Old 05-09-2015, 12:17 AM
HVACNY
2013 WK 

My 3 month free trial subscription is 1 month in.The dealer originally gave them the wrong radio code so they straightened it out and since it was turned on 3 weeks ago i get 10 calls a day from the same number trying to get me to sign up.I explained to them i havent really used it yet because quite honestly i like the music in my iphone better and i listen to that.The reps who call sound like kids so when the trial ends im going to beat them up for a very low price or just walk.If i can get $5 a month like others ill buy it.There position seems to be its better to get something from the customer than nothing.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #15 of 23 Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 PM
richiejeep
2015 WK 

Ask to cancel, never give them a credit card

Never, no never give them a credit card. Always ask for a bill to be sent. Say you want to cancel and they'll send you to a "manager" who will negotiate the final deal. I paid $108 last year on my Vette and probably won't renew. I'll have to on the new Jeep as my wife likes the news programs on long trips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.