Are side mirrors heated? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Are side mirrors heated?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
japgen

Are side mirrors heated?

I have a 2014 Overland and nowhere on tge dash or in the manual can I find anything related to whether the side mirrors are heated. We are now getting winter weather in my area, and I see no evidence of snow melting on the mirrors. What am i missing?

japgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Owners manual says: "These mirrors are heated to melt frost or ice. This feature can be activated whenever you turn on the rear window defroster (if equipped)." If you turn the rear window defroster on and the side mirrors don't heat, time for a visit to the dealer. Heated mirrors seem to be standard on all 2014s.
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
kryogen
2011 WK 

it does, like on almost every vehicle on the planet.
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
japgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Owners manual says: "These mirrors are heated to melt frost or ice. This feature can be activated whenever you turn on the rear window defroster (if equipped)." If you turn the rear window defroster on and the side mirrors don't heat, time for a visit to the dealer. Heated mirrors seem to be standard on all 2014s.
Thanks, I must have missed that. I will check it out tomorrow.
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
japgen

Thanks i must have missed that. Will check it out tomorrow.
Unread 12-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
perpster
2015 WK 

On Honda Odyssey there is a push button for mirror heat. It is located next to the mirror adjustment buttons on the driver's door armrest.

In another post on this forum someone said there is a button in the center stack that can be used to turn on JGC mirror heat independent of the rear defroster, but he/she wasn't sure.
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
On Honda Odyssey there is a push button for mirror heat. It is located next to the mirror adjustment buttons on the driver's door armrest.

In another post on this forum someone said there is a button in the center stack that can be used to turn on JGC mirror heat independent of the rear defroster, but he/she wasn't sure.
It is done via the UConnect settings on the Jeep.

Owners and UConnect manuals are online at this link;

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
Unread 12-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Usually the mirrors will be etched with the rear defroster symbol (rectangle with squiggly lines) if they are heated.
Unread 01-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
perpster
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46er View Post
It is done via the UConnect settings on the Jeep.

Owners and UConnect manuals are online at this link;

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
Thanks 46er. I will check the manual, but in the meantime:

When I picked up the car (2015 Overland), the salesman said the mirror heaters come on automatically based on outside temperature. I kind of doubt that, but haven't RTFM yet, so he might be right.

But, another salesman said the mirror heaters come on when the rear defroster is turned on.

I sure hope there is a separate, independent way to activate the mirror heaters in Uconnect. Especially when there is condensation on the mirror glass, and all I want to do is burn it off, not turn on the window defrosters.
perpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Aquaforest

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
I sure hope there is a separate, independent way to activate the mirror heaters in Uconnect. Especially when there is condensation on the mirror glass, and all I want to do is burn it off, not turn on the window defrosters.
There isn't on my 2014 Limited. Unless I'm missing something side mirror defosting is horrid in my vehicle.
Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

2014-2015 manual says: "These mirrors are heated to melt frost or ice. This feature can be activated whenever you turn on the rear window defroster (if equipped)." and "The rear window defroster button is located on the climate control panel. Press this button to turn on the rear window defroster and the heated outside mirrors (if equipped). An indicator in the button will illuminate when the rear window defroster is on. The rear window defroster automatically turns off after approximately 10 minutes. For an additional five minutes of operation, press the button a second time.

NOTE: To prevent excessive battery drain, use the rear window defroster only when the engine is operating."

There doesn't seem to be a way to configure operation in UConnect screens. On my 2011 they work pretty well. According to the FSM, in 2011 there was no temperature component of the control algorithm, it just ran for about 10 minutes on the first push, 5 minutes after the second and subsequent pushes until the ignition is cycled.

When remote starting, the heaters will automatically be activated when below a certain temperature. The automatic operation, along with seat and steering wheel heat can be disabled/enabled in the UConnect screens.

Looks like in 2015 headed mirrors are standard across the model lineup, dunno if its always been like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.