Should I buy a floor model/manager's vehicle with 5500 miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Should I buy a floor model/manager's vehicle with 5500 miles?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

Should I buy a floor model/manager's vehicle with 5500 miles?

Hi all, need your advice.
I called my local Jeep dealer (in Connecticut, if it matters) to ask if they had any 2014 GC's left on the lot (figured they might, and would be motivated to discount them since the 2015's are rolling in and they need to make room).

Salesperson said no, but they recently made their 2014 floor model available. I went in to meet with him and see the car. It's basically what I wanted... a white GC Limited with Luxury II option. Then he said it was the "manager's vehicle" ...and so it has 5500 miles on it. He added that since it was never "registered", the car is still legally considered "new", and they're selling it as such -- with a bit of discount.

This is their offer:

MSRP $46,330
Inv. $43966
Selling $39,966

He said the $4,000 discount off the Invoice price breaks down as such:
1. Credit for wheels: -$1000. The car's Luxury II package indicates 20" wheels but this floor model has 18"'s. He says they swapped them for a customer who bought a different car & wanted the 20's.
2. Rebate -$2000
3. Demo discount -$1000

I inspected the car and it's fairly clean save for some minor mars that can probably be cleaned up. The leather driver's seat, however, showed some "waves", for lack of a better term, probably from every Tom Dick and Harry opening the door and sitting in the car (not to mention the "manager" driving it for 5500 miles).

I'm sure the $39,966 selling price isn't the "out the door" price, either. I didn't ask about that (yet).

So I ask you kind folk, is further negotiation on this price warranted? I can't help but feel that with the 5500 miles, the demo discount of $1000 isn't enough. If the car had been registered and was considered "legally" used, imagine the depreciation, right?

Any input is welcome, thanks so much.

Sondra3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
LBMoody
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's some shady stuff, telling you it's "legally" new. I worked IT support for a local dealer for a few years and anything that had mileage put on it (and 5500 is definitely mileage) was sold on the used lot, regardless of if we could legally claim it was new. I'd offer them the KBB price for a used model, and tell them take it or leave it. Do yourself a favor, and go on the jeep website. You can configure your jeep the way you want it and do an inventory match against nearby dealers. Maybe there's someone less shady around that has a deal for you?

Edit: Oh, and if your dealer is anything like most dealers, you can add a decent amount of extra money for document fees, finance fees, and so on.
LBMoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

Thanks LBMoody, that was my feeling... even if they can legally sell it as "new" because it was never registered, it's kinda wrong to do so just because they can. Which is why I'm not comfortable with the "new"-ish price! Thanks for confirming my hunch, I'm kinda new at this.
Unread 11-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondra3 View Post
Hi all, need your advice.
I called my local Jeep dealer (in Connecticut, if it matters) to ask if they had any 2014 GC's left on the lot (figured they might, and would be motivated to discount them since the 2015's are rolling in and they need to make room).

Salesperson said no, but they recently made their 2014 floor model available. I went in to meet with him and see the car. It's basically what I wanted... a white GC Limited with Luxury II option. Then he said it was the "manager's vehicle" ...and so it has 5500 miles on it. He added that since it was never "registered", the car is still legally considered "new", and they're selling it as such -- with a bit of discount.

This is their offer:

MSRP $46,330
Inv. $43966
Selling $39,966

He said the $4,000 discount off the Invoice price breaks down as such:
1. Credit for wheels: -$1000. The car's Luxury II package indicates 20" wheels but this floor model has 18"'s. He says they swapped them for a customer who bought a different car & wanted the 20's.
2. Rebate -$2000
3. Demo discount -$1000

I inspected the car and it's fairly clean save for some minor mars that can probably be cleaned up. The leather driver's seat, however, showed some "waves", for lack of a better term, probably from every Tom Dick and Harry opening the door and sitting in the car (not to mention the "manager" driving it for 5500 miles).

I'm sure the $39,966 selling price isn't the "out the door" price, either. I didn't ask about that (yet).

So I ask you kind folk, is further negotiation on this price warranted? I can't help but feel that with the 5500 miles, the demo discount of $1000 isn't enough. If the car had been registered and was considered "legally" used, imagine the depreciation, right?

Any input is welcome, thanks so much.
It's not a good deal in my opinion, I would pass on it. Its a demo which I know they do sell as new with the discount, but the discount on demo's has never but that good. I have never seen where a Demo was sold on a used lot so what he is telling about it never being registered I believe probably is true. To me they can call it what they want, but 5500 miles is used. If you were to buy one of these and drive it 5500 miles and then want to trade it in you would probably lose 8K. Plus you don't know how it was driven or if it was broke in properly. Then they don't even have the right wheels on it? So really they are giving you a 1K discount for this. I would say no thanks.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondra3 View Post
Thanks LBMoody, that was my feeling... even if they can legally sell it as "new" because it was never registered, it's kinda wrong to do so just because they can. Which is why I'm not comfortable with the "new"-ish price! Thanks for confirming my hunch, I'm kinda new at this.
Why does it matter if they call it new or used? I think what matters is how much are they going to discount it. Wouldn't you want to get all the discounts and rebates and everything that comes with it being sold as new? I think question needs to be how much off the price for that new vehicle having been driven 5500 miles.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
46er
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
Why does it matter if they call it new or used? I think what matters is how much are they going to discount it. Wouldn't you want to get all the discounts and rebates and everything that comes with it being sold as new? I think question needs to be how much off the price for that new vehicle having been driven 5500 miles.
Agree. A vehicle has to have been registered to be classified as used, which would disallow any new car rebates, financing, etc. Run the car and options thru the NADA, KBB, Edmunds sites to get an idea for pricing and then start dickering on price and extended warranty.
Unread 11-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Ken-G
2014 WK 

20" wheels are a $1,595 upgrade over 18". I would demand full credit on the wheels or they can restore it to sticker.

KBB puts the fair market value of a CPO '14 Limited with Luxury pack at $33K, can't spec a "new" car with 5,500 miles so this is as close as it gets. Even if you give credit for high end pricing it comes to $35K. They drove a car for 5,500 miles and want to only take a $1,000 hit. Preposterous. They need to take $2K to $3K off for high mileage or give you a free 7 year warranty on top of the $1,000 off.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Not sure how you run a Limited up to $46,000 .... Unless it has the diesel in it....

This deal stinks ..... Way to many negatives to even consider it .....

Make a trip down to the DC area and drive a new 2015 Limited home for less $$$$ and it will only have 300 miles on it .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
DiamondFanatic
2014 WK 

I would find another actually new '14 because you will still be eligible for the rebates. $1k demo discount is laughable, that JGC could have had a rough life for those 5500 miles.
DiamondFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Aquaforest

It sounds like that was just the initial deal given out by the dealer. What's so surprising? The OP now can go back and haggle away.

You could easily get a limited up over to $46,000. My Limited was around $43,500 without luxury and many other options. It does have tow, sunroof, 20" wheels.
Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
hemispin
2014 WK 

With it being a "demo" plus considering the miles, they should knock off about $10,000 from MSRP. The $1000 "credit" is just a joke. You might as well buy a brand new one. And as others have mentioned, still selling it as new is shady as hell.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

You are all great for sharing your insights. I am just an honest customer looking for an honest/good deal on last year's new Jeep to replace my (beloved) 2004 GC (250,000 miles and still going strong...except for the electrical issues that have become a pain in the *ss -- can't roll down the windows for my black lab to hang her head out anymore! etc.)

And by the way I love to drive (luckily, considering how much I have to), so shooting down to DC for a great deal is actually something I would do!! lol. Road tripppp

I expect to hear from the dealer today and I'll have my objections/offer ready, and they can take it or leave it.

I do want to get something soon before the dead of winter sets in.
Unread 11-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
studdave
2015 WK 

This was the price that I got my 2015 for before they added TTL. I didn't have the LUX II package but was 4x4 and trailer tow package. It rolled off the truck the day before I bought it. I think you can do better.

However, what he is telling you is true about the demo at least I know they do this with GM. My dads best friend owns a GM dealer and they get him escalades with 2K miles on them and they are registered as new and they are heavily discounted. They are usually driven by GM executives and they get them at dealer preferred GM auctions.
studdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

This deal is rife with issues. I know JGC values vary wildly across the country, but KBB and NADA puts this exact Jeep at $34k in TN. No way is it another $6k in CT. They are essentially taking only a $1000(and maybe not even that with dealer hold back)on a vehicle that we don't even have total history of, which with it makes it tough to know as it has never been titled..
Not sure if you are willing to leave your area, but our big volume Jeep dealer has two Lux II '14s left, a 3.6 and Hemi, both 4×4s w/ trailer pack. And they are both May build dates, so you should be fine to avoid quirks.
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

studdave, thanks yes I realize they are legal in selling the car as new with miles. My beef was with doing so with only a $1000 demo discount with 5,500 miles on it.

So what do you all think about the following offer to them (I'm may keep looking around though):

$3,000 off for the high mileage, not $1000
$1595 off for full credit on the tires, not $1000. Otherwise, replace with new 20"s
$2000 rebate
Extended warranty (should I still ask for 7 years?)

OFFER: $35.5 K (can I be aggressive and request this number for out-the-door?
This puts it at around $10,000 off MSRP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.