SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-035-14 2012-2013 WK "Fish bite" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-035-14 2012-2013 WK "Fish bite"

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
JeepCares

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-035-14 2012-2013 WK "Fish bite"

FYI -

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-035-14
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: July 04, 2014

SUBJECT:
Flash: Surge, Shudder or Pulsation at Highway Speeds
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
NOTE: This is an optional software update that should only be used in situations where the customer is specifically complaining of the condition described below.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2012 - 2013 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZH).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A small number of customers may experience a surge, shudder or pulsation type sensation when driving on smooth road surfaces at highway speeds of 40-80 mph (64-129 km/h). Some customers may also describe the sensation similar to that of a fish bitting on a fishing line.
NOTE: This is an optional software update that should only be used in situations where the customer is specifically complaining of the above condition. There will be two separate software options displayed on the wiTECH flash tab. The software file released for this SB contains the verbiage “REFERENCE SB 18-035-14. THIS FLASH TO BE USED ONLY FOR SHUDDER COMPLAINTS”. The other file is the standard software that does not contain improvements for this complaint. If for some reason the customer finds this shudder improvement objectionable, the PCM software may be returned/reflashed to the standard version.
If the customer complains of the above condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks... Did they forget the 2011s, or is there another TSB to come? Many here with 2011s complain about fish bite and shudder.
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Oh happy day!.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
MrSpeed
2012 WK 

I hope I never need this applied to my Jeep but I am glad that Jeep has provided it and that it is reversible. Looking forward to hearing how well it works from those experiencing "fish bite" and have the flash applied.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeed View Post
I hope I never need this applied to my Jeep but I am glad that Jeep has provided it and that it is reversible. Looking forward to hearing how well it works from those experiencing "fish bite" and have the flash applied.
Its great that its reversible for sure.
I have a feeling that it might affect fuel consumption negatively.
Either way ,I'm still jacked that there is a fix.
Unread 07-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
biker2k
2012 WK 

can anyone explain to me why some cars would have this problem while others do not ...
more specifically if this is a software problem shouldn't they all do it, unless the was something wrong with the hardware of the vehicle?

don't get me wrong if this fixes the problem then great we have all been waiting a long time, but something is rotten in Denmark if you know what I mean..
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are production tolerances... perhaps they are not tight enough... but they exist and if they line up wrong, the system seems to have issues dealing with it. Most of the time its easier to change the software to adapt than the hardware. I suppose applying the software to vehicles with a different set of production tolerances will have adverse effect, so its reversible. It almost like there is a better version of software patches depending on which side of the bell curve the vehicle sits on.
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I had it done today and early results lead me to believe its fixed. I do have issues while pulling my camper in tow mode and I hope they too clear up. So far so good, finally!
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
Its great that its reversible for sure.
I have a feeling that it might affect fuel consumption negatively.
Either way ,I'm still jacked that there is a fix.
Ya, you can bet it will take a little off mileage. But what a difference.
Unread 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
biker2k
2012 WK 

does the truck seem to drive better all around or is just fishbite that's gone?
Unread 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Well, driveability was always pretty good. My shudder/fishbite was not too bad. But I was noticing it more and more, or knowing about took over. I do notice that it unlocks the convertor or downshifs (don't know yet) quite easy now.

I have yet to take it on the highway but my major issue was towing my camper. In tow mode it is in 5th gear. When approacing a hill it would or not downshift, it was a crap shoot. I manually downshift if it doesn't by itself. I'll be camping in August so I will know then if that is fixed.

I suspect mileage will suffer but on one particial hill near home, it downshifted whereas before it would struggle up the hill.

Bottom line is I like it so far. I have to take a rather long drive soon and I will get a better idea.
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
biker2k
2012 WK 

my driveablity is terrible and my truck seems to be slipping, I started my case number today....
interested to see what would happen with this update
I think I have a bad tranny or t case we will see...
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Just brought my rig in for this TSB.
The service adviser look at me like I had horns in my head.
She wants my to take a test drive with the tech. Im so tired of riding around with this guy.

Just fix my ride pleeease!
Also apply my brake recall and get my passenderside washer sprayer working will,ya.

Service advisers are something else.
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
biker2k
2012 WK 

by far the worst part of the service experience is the "service advisor"
generally a guys who knows next to nothing about mechanics
but is willing to argue with you about what is normal and not normal
I have so many stories...
Unread 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #15
nubby105
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Thanks... Did they forget the 2011s, or is there another TSB to come? Many here with 2011s complain about fish bite and shudder.

I'm one of the 2011's with fish bite issues. The only time I don't get the fish bite is when I am actually fishing...
nubby105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.