JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   SERVICE BULLETIN: 23-013-13 2012-2013 WK Noise From Dual Pane Sunroof (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/service-bulletin-23-013-13-2012-2013-wk-noise-dual-pane-sunroof-1497284/)

JeepCares 03-22-2013 08:44 AM

SERVICE BULLETIN: 23-013-13 2012-2013 WK Noise From Dual Pane Sunroof

FYI - ignore if not interested:

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 23-013-13
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 22, 2013
SUBJECT: Creak Or Click Noise From Dual Pane Sunroof
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the dual pane sunroof for a potential creak, click or rattle and if necessary, replacing the dual pane sunroof frame assembly.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to November 8, 2012 (MDH
1108XX) equipped with dual pane sunroof (sales code GWJ).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a creak, click or rattle from the dual pane sunroof.

mx71 03-22-2013 09:20 AM

Thank you!

TAWS600 03-22-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCares (Post 15174667)
FYI - ignore if not interested:

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 23-013-13
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 22, 2013
SUBJECT: Creak Or Click Noise From Dual Pane Sunroof
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the dual pane sunroof for a potential creak, click or rattle and if necessary, replacing the dual pane sunroof frame assembly.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to November 8, 2012 (MDH
1108XX) equipped with dual pane sunroof (sales code GWJ).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a creak, click or rattle from the dual pane sunroof.

I noticed this involves 2012 and 2013 model years but built before Nov 8, 2012. How come 2011 isnt included? I have the same symptoms in my 2011 Limited. It has been at the dealer a couple times for this exact problem. Let me know if 2011 is/can be included so hopefully I can get mine fixed. Thanks!

JeepCares 03-22-2013 12:46 PM

I don't know if replacing the dual pane sunroof frame assembly would fix your noise problem. You might want to check with your dealer.

This is the diagnosis portion of the above SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 23-013-13:

DIAGNOSIS:
Push up on the front corner(s) of the fixed pane, then push out (cross-car) on the sunroof
frame at the fixed pane's forward attaching point. Repeat several times.
NOTE: Another way to confirm is to introduce body flex at a very slow speed (idle
speed) while slowly turning right then left. Remove the rear pane’s forward
attachment screw on the side where the noise is heard.
If removing the screw turns off the noise or a creak or click noise is heard, perform the
Repair Procedure.

omar0022 03-22-2013 02:12 PM

interesting that this comes out now... I got my whole frame assembly replaced about 8 months ago, so I'm guessing they were aware of the issue back then. Everything is great now but I notice wind noise more now. I need to take it in to get adjusted.

kayoticworld 05-08-2013 05:24 PM

Can someone who has had this tsb done tell me how long it took the dealership to perform it? I had noticed the creak and rattles not too long after I purchased it. Not overly noticeable, but noticeable nonetheless with the radio off. I saw this tsb come out on this forum about a month ago but decided I would just wait until I took it in for its first oil change. I was under the impression this was an half a day job once they had the part. The dealership has had my jeep for 5 days now. I don't want to rush them because I want it done right the first time. But it just don't seem like it should be taking this long either as the service advisor seem to think it would only be half a day to maybe 1 day. I should also mention this is a brand new dealership that has opened about a month ago. I say that because I don't know how experienced they are with this issue. Maybe I'm wrong. I did talk them into getting me a courtesy car for the inconvenience yesterday.(Chrysler 300m)

tarobapp 06-12-2013 11:20 PM

I had the rattling and the dealer replaced the frame around the sunroof. It actually took the dealer about 6 hours to fix, I believe. They didn't have the part, so they ordered it, then I came back two days later, and they took half the day to fix.

EmileN 06-13-2013 07:24 AM

Interesting that this is 2012-2013 models. Does this imply that something about the sunroof design was changed in 2012 that's causing an issue?

txwest 06-13-2013 10:33 AM

I have a rattle on mine also. Just rolled over 36k. Wonder if I could just insert some foam tape in between the rails or if it is an actual issue with the frame.

Sent from my S-III using JeepForum

13ovsummit 06-13-2013 04:19 PM

On my 2013 the sun-roof is quiet. How does one decode the VIN to find build date?

Rob

kayoticworld 06-13-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13ovsummit (Post 15558063)
On my 2013 the sun-roof is quiet. How does one decode the VIN to find build date?

Rob

You don't need to decode the Vin to find out the build date. Just open your drivers side door and look for the Chrysler sticker on the door itself. Your build month and year should be on that sticker. If your sunroof is not making any noise then I wouldn't bother with it. Hell mines was making a slight noise and I wish I had never let the dealership touch my vehicle. They have created more problems then its worth. Can you go to another dealership to have that dealership fix the problems the other one caused doing warranty work? At this point I want nothing more to do with my current dealership, but I feel they should fix the problems they have caused. Take it for me if its not making a noise or nagging at you......don't fix what is not broken! I do still love my jeep though.....

13ovsummit 06-13-2013 08:39 PM

^^^ - Thanks kayotic! Duh - I shoulda known that. :o I'm not gonna let the dealer touch it. I wanted to know if my build date was before or after the one mentioned in the SB, in case problems pop up later.

Yeah, I agree - finding a decent dealer/service dept. is a real chore lately. They seem to keep their reputations well hidden for the most part, and it's up to us customers to try, and try again until we find a good one. Good luck ... !

Rob

Eric_R 07-15-2013 03:24 PM

Does this fix a rattle with the forward section of the sunroof? I have a rattle near the front left corner (right above my head). Ugh!
If I put a little upward pressure on that corner of the glass, the rattle stops.

I'm guessing this is something that I need to coordinate with my dealer to get fixed, right?

kayoticworld 07-16-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric_R (Post 15679830)
Does this fix a rattle with the forward section of the sunroof? I have a rattle near the front left corner (right above my head). Ugh!
If I put a little upward pressure on that corner of the glass, the rattle stops.

I'm guessing this is something that I need to coordinate with my dealer to get fixed, right?

Yes, something you should definitely coordinate with the dealership. They will more than likely have to order the assembly. I would also ask the dealership is this something they have experience fixing. I don't believe the dealership I took it to had any experience with it and something that should of taken about 1/2 day to one full day took a total of 8days. Then again they may have just pushed my warranty issue to the side.........

Eric_R 08-31-2013 11:18 AM

Rattle fixed!

Just to update -
My sunroof rattle is fixed! Yea!
According to the dealer, it was a loose mounting bolt near the front left corner. He said, after finding the loose bolt, they dropped the headliner to check the other bolts. There was also a loose bolt somewhere on the passenger side. They checked all the mounting bolts, reinstalled the headliner and the rattle is gone. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

I was really worried that this was going to be a big job, they would have to order parts, etc... What a relief!

Eric

The time now is 09:48 PM.