SERVICE BULLETIN: 17-005-13 2011-2013 WK Rattle and/or Clunk From Rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > SERVICE BULLETIN: 17-005-13 2011-2013 WK Rattle and/or Clunk From Rear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
JeepCares

SERVICE BULLETIN: 17-005-13 2011-2013 WK Rattle and/or Clunk From Rear

FYI – Ignore if not interested

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 17-005-13
GROUP: Rear Suspension
DATE: April 03, 2013

SUBJECT:
Rattle And/Or Clunk Noise From Rear Of The Vehicle Equipped With Load Leveling Suspension
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying and if necessary replacing the right and left rear shock absorbers.
MODELS:
2011-2013 WK Grand Cherokee
2011-2013 WD Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applied to vehicles equipped with Rear Load Leveling
Suspension (sales code SES) and could be combined with Normal Duty
Suspension (sales code SDA) or Sport Suspension (sales code SDE) or
Export Tuned Suspension (sales code SDM) built before September 29, 2012
(MDH0929XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Rattle and/or clunk noise from the rear of the vehicle equipped with load leveling suspension.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 (AR) 68087613AG Absorber, Rear Shock (Sales Code SDE
+SES) (Durango only)
2 (AR) 68069843AG Absorber, Rear Shock (Sales Code
SDA+SES) (Durango only)
2 (AR) 68069680AC Absorber, Rear Shock (Sales Code SDA or
SDM + SES) (Grand Cherokee Only
)
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Drive the vehicle between 10 mph (16 km/h) and 15 mph (24 km/h) over rough roads.
Was a rattle and/or clunk noise exhibited?
a. Yes>>> Proceed to Step #2.
b. No>>> Continue further diagnosis, this bulletin does not apply.
2. Remove and replace the right and left rear shock absorber relative to the vehicles sales code(s). Refer to the detail procedures available in Refer to the detailed procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 17 - Rear Suspension> Shock Absorber, Suspension> Removal / Installation.
NOTE: The left and right rear shock absorbers must be replaced at the same time.
Failure to follow this process will result in an adverse condition.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

You might also want to see this post/thread.

JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

This is fantastic news!
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Suther
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher
This is fantastic news!
Don't be too excited. Look at the thread mentioned above. Most dealers already replaced the shocks with the AC version some even with the AD version. In several cases that wasn't successful.

So, is the TSB outdated or just a customer appreciation activity until the final fix is developed?
Suther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Berk483
2013 WK 

And I only had the passeenger side replaced. I wonder if I should call my dealer and mention this.
Berk483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
stephenspann27
2014 WK 

I have a 2014 JGC Overland 4x4 with Hemi. I have about 2k miles on it. I"m getting a clunk from the rear when going over speed bumps. Could this be related? I do have the quadra lift system.
stephenspann27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
boyvan
2012 WK 

My dealer just changed one shock only and most of the sound is gone BUT little bit is still there. Now they have ordered the other shock. According to this bulletin both shocks have to be replaced at the same time. Is there a reason for that?

Wouldn't changing the other shock eliminate the noise IF shocks are the culprit?
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have an update on this....have they figured out a fix yet? I noticed while driving my wifes 2013 overland that she is an annoying clunk coming from the back....
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
hommyd44
2011 WK 

My vehicle is at the dealership right now as I type this post with a clunking noise in the rear. I have a 2011 Larado X. No 4x4. no load leveling suspension. I just spoke to the dealer and he told me the left shock needed to be replaced as well as the shock mount? He hasn't spoken to the technician for more details yet. Will post you all when I have more info.
hommyd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

Ah, I wish mine was under warranty still. It's been clunking for 3 years now.
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
nat23
2011 XJ Cherokee 

I had a clunk...figured out it was just the tow bar. I just take it out when im not towing. But its so annouying when you get rattles and stuff you just want to fix them instantly.
nat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

I recently developed a noise similar to this and it's driving me batty...I just need time to get it in to get checked out. Silent for 22000 miles, however!
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #12
erikgenerik
2014 WK 

I've noticed this in my '14 limited with load leveling susp as well...sounds pretty rough the rear when going over a bump at low and high speeds. wonder if anyone with a new GC get this too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenspann27 View Post
I have a 2014 JGC Overland 4x4 with Hemi. I have about 2k miles on it. I"m getting a clunk from the rear when going over speed bumps. Could this be related? I do have the quadra lift system.
erikgenerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikgenerik View Post
I've noticed this in my '14 limited with load leveling susp as well...sounds pretty rough the rear when going over a bump at low and high speeds. wonder if anyone with a new GC get this too?
Pretty sad that Jeep didn't address this clunking in the 2014s.
I thought it was just the 11-13 that had this issue.

Looks like once 2014 owners finish playing with their new radios and new lights, they are going realize that they have the same clunking and shuddering problems the rest of us have.

LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
nat23
2011 XJ Cherokee 

Yup....these issues need to be sorted. They need to seriously look at their quailty control department. Hyundai/Kia is a car company that is dead serious on quality control. My friend who found my a/c leak is 2nd ic in Q/C for Kia. He pointed out a few cost cutting tactics under the trims....
However i still love Jeep but i hope the strive for excellence when it comes to their premium lines.. Wrangler is a totally different beast doesnt need much tweaking...its good as it is.
nat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
JeepMattGA
2013 WK 

I just had the rear SLS shock replacement done per the TSB; just picked it up from the dealer about an hour ago. So far the noise is completely gone, and it seems to ride a little bit firmer (a bonus). The part number used was:

Qty 2: 68069680-AE ABSORBER 17023001

Looks like they are on version AE now. Same parent company that makes the differentials makes those shocks (ZF). I have a 2013 GC Laredo X 3.6 QT1 w/ towing pkg & SLS, and about 7,700 miles on it. BTW, those shocks were on backorder (in my case atleast) for over 3 weeks, and I also gave a call to the Jeep Customer Care line. Not sure if that helped speed up the parts or not. I can tell you that when I first went in to have the TSB done, there was only (2) of these shocks in the state of GA (for a specific customer order at the dealer in Athens), and when I took it in this morning, there were (3) of these shocks in the state; (2) of them went on my Jeep, and another one for another customer. I got the same answer from several different dealerships on parts availability.

Read through the TSB carefully, it is very specific on which models are covered by the TSB. And good luck!
JeepMattGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.