Service Bulletin 09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2012-2013 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Service Bulletin 09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2012-2013

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
LouC
2007 WK 

Interesting information, and I'd say it's in line with most of the vehicles I have had over 40 years of driving. The majority of the have used about a qt between changes (3-4k miles).
We had a Toyota (89 Corolla GTS) that used none, an 88 Camry that smoked on cold starts (valve seals) and a 98 Subaru that leaked like crazy (way more that evev the 4.0 in my 98ZJ) till we had all the leaks fixed when we had the head gaskets done.

Unread 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

JeepCares, this is all good "guideline" info., and keep up the good work posting this type info. IMO, excessive oil consumption, in many cases (in addition to your service bulletin) can be traced back to the initial break-in of the engine. If it's driven like "granny" during the break-in period, you're more likely to have an increase in oil consumption later on. Today's engine assembly tolerances are much tighter than in the "old days", but a good varied RPM break-in will still, in most cases, result in less oil consumption over the long run. I bought my Hemi Magnum new and broke it in as indicated above and it doesn't burn a drop between 6000 mile changes. I don't know how my Hemi WK was broken in, but it uses a little (maybe 1/2 qt) between 6000 mile changes.I do get some through the PCV Valves and into the catch cans in both though, but it is minimal. I'll be doing an experiment soon, by adding a second in-line PCV valve to see if it will, (1) work properly and (2) reduce valve oil bypass. This will be an effort to correct the lousy stock PCV system in the Hemi's.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

This specification certainly doesn't make me happy, but thanks to Costco, I have six quarts of Mobile 1 out in the garage for $26 (total) to insure I have oil to top off when some gets used. I did need to top off with a quart in the first 4K miles, but haven't used any perceptibly since my 8K oil change...at just over 12K right now.
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRisko View Post
My 2004 Tahoe w/ the 5.3L and 190,000 miles uses less than 1 qt over oil change intervals of ~6k miles.

My 5.7L WK2 used almost 2 qts over 6,000 miles and it only has 7200 miles on the odometer. I guess it seems high given the extremely low to non-existent consumption with my other vehicles. No one else things that 1 qt over 750 miles sounds incredibly high? With the recommended 8,000 mile oil change, that could be as much as 17 qts per oil change interval!
Down 1 quart every 750 miles? That sure sounds high to me. I wouldn't be too pleased with that.
I've experienced very little (or none at all) oil consumption in any of my vehicles over the years. This is a relevant topic for me because I did notice I was down a quart in my 2013 V6 WK2 at 1000 miles, which surprised me. Checked for leaks & couldn't find any. I'm at about 1800 now & so far it doesn't need to be topped off again. But I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.