'SERV 4WD' beach driving issue fixed?? (TSB is in) - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 'SERV 4WD' beach driving issue fixed?? (TSB is in)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Reply
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
UNCjeepWK2
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 290
'SERV 4WD' beach driving issue fixed?? (TSB is in)

Maybe this is the one we've been waiting for? A new TSB issued 4/27/13 seems to fix the SERV 4WD issue, among others. Take a look

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100413.pdf

UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,512
Service Bulletins 21-003-13 and 21-004-13 Transmission/Transfer Case

There is also a Service Bulletin 21-003-13:
SUBJECT:
Flash: Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM) - Transfer Case Operational Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flashing the Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM)
MODELS:
2011 - 2013 WD Durango
2011 - 2013 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the QUADRA-TRAC II 4WD
System or Two Speed On Demand Transfer Case (Sales Code DKA) and the
following:
• 230MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DR1) and Electronic Limited Slip
Differential (Sales Code DSF)
• 230MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DR1) without Electronic Limited Slip
Differential built after May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX).
• 195MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DPM) (all 3.6L engine equipped (Sales
Code ERB) built after May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Owners may indicate that they have experienced one or more of the following symptoms:
1. A driveline bump is felt during acceleration at approximately 10 mph (16 kph).
2. The SERV 4WD message appears and the vehicle shifts from 4WD to 2WD.
3. Binding of the front driveline while turning on steep grades at speeds around 3 - 5 mph
(5 - 8 kph).
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes any of the symptoms above, perform the Repair Procedure.

The Service Bulletin referenced above in UNCjeepWK2's post is 21-004-13:
NUMBER: 21-004-13
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: April 27, 2013
SUBJECT:
Flash: Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM) - Transfer Case Operational Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flashing the Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM)
MODELS:
2011 WD Durango
2011 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the QUADRA-TRAC II 4WD
System or Two Speed On Demand Transfer Case (Sales Code DKA) and the
215MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DPP) with the 3.06 Gear Ratio (Sales Code
DMP) or 225MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DPR) with the 3.47 Gear Ratio (Sales
Code DMG) built before May 2, 2011 (MDH 0502XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Owners may indicate that they have experienced one or more of the following symptoms:
1. Moaning or groaning noise while coasting and/or during a very light acceleration
around 5 to 8 mph (8 to 13 kph).
2. The SERV 4WD message appears and the vehicle shifts from 4WD to 2WD.
3. Binding of the front driveline while turning on steep grades at speeds around 3 to 5
mph (5 to 8 kph).
4. Surge/Shudder at speeds greater than 50 mph (80 kph).
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes any of the symptoms above, perform the Repair Procedure.
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
UNCjeepWK2
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 290
Just had it done on my Summer 2010-build WK2 QTII w/ hemi. I've never had any problems with it on the beach, but in hopes of NEVER having any problems, I went ahead and had this done. Fingers crossed.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
fwdjeep
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mount Cotton, Queensland
Posts: 39
When i approched the dealer they were suprised that i was aware of the aledged FIX
But said yes they could run the update, but did not appear to be very excited about it
I think they want to keep it quite

Something in australia hat has be a little confused is the Australian Recall web site www.recalls.gov.au
And There is NONE not one listed JEEP recall
Jeep is not listed
Pretty much every other manufacture is listed with know recalls but not jeep
Does that mean Jeep do not have any issues or are better at fixing issues then any other manufacturer?
Or does it mean they simply stne wall and deny issues

I wonder which

Also shows me that the AAAA have no idea and must reply on the honesty of the manufacturer
__________________
fwdjeep
Alais Scott
Mount Cotton Queensland
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
fwdjeep
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mount Cotton, Queensland
Posts: 39
Correction
I just looked up the site again and if you want jeep you have to go to the chrysler manufacture
Does not compute to me
__________________
fwdjeep
Alais Scott
Mount Cotton Queensland
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
gabbagabba
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest, NH
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
There is also a Service Bulletin 21-003-13:
SUBJECT:
Flash: Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM) - Transfer Case Operational Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flashing the Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM)
MODELS:
2011 - 2013 WD Durango
2011 - 2013 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the QUADRA-TRAC II 4WD
System or Two Speed On Demand Transfer Case (Sales Code DKA) and the
following:
230MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DR1) and Electronic Limited Slip
Differential (Sales Code DSF)
230MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DR1) without Electronic Limited Slip
Differential built after May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX).
195MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DPM) (all 3.6L engine equipped (Sales
Code ERB) built after May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Owners may indicate that they have experienced one or more of the following symptoms:
1. A driveline bump is felt during acceleration at approximately 10 mph (16 kph).
2. The SERV 4WD message appears and the vehicle shifts from 4WD to 2WD.
3. Binding of the front driveline while turning on steep grades at speeds around 3 - 5 mph
(5 - 8 kph).
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes any of the symptoms above, perform the Repair Procedure.

The Service Bulletin referenced above in UNCjeepWK2's post is 21-004-13:
NUMBER: 21-004-13
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: April 27, 2013
SUBJECT:
Flash: Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM) - Transfer Case Operational Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flashing the Drivetrain Control Module (DCTM)
MODELS:
2011 WD Durango
2011 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the QUADRA-TRAC II 4WD
System or Two Speed On Demand Transfer Case (Sales Code DKA) and the
215MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DPP) with the 3.06 Gear Ratio (Sales Code
DMP) or 225MM Rear Axle (Sales Code DPR) with the 3.47 Gear Ratio (Sales
Code DMG) built before May 2, 2011 (MDH 0502XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Owners may indicate that they have experienced one or more of the following symptoms:
1. Moaning or groaning noise while coasting and/or during a very light acceleration
around 5 to 8 mph (8 to 13 kph).
2. The SERV 4WD message appears and the vehicle shifts from 4WD to 2WD.
3. Binding of the front driveline while turning on steep grades at speeds around 3 to 5
mph (5 to 8 kph).
4. Surge/Shudder at speeds greater than 50 mph (80 kph).
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes any of the symptoms above, perform the Repair Procedure.
Thnak you Lee, do the '14's not need the update?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
RichWK2
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 20
Driveline bump TSB 21-003-13

My 2012 JGC has the driveline bump from stop upon accelerating when making left turns and straight ahead about 10 mph - almost consistently. I was so disappointed today when the Jeep service dept told me this TSB did not apply to my 2012 WK2 5.7L Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Trac II 4WD and the 230MM Rear Axel with Electronic Limited Slip. I showed them the 21-003-13 TSB, but it was not listed under my VIN on Chrysler DealerConnect, therefore they won't apply it. I had them list my purchsed vehicle options, but I could not find sales code DR1 or DSF. It did list a Quadra-Trak II (R) sales code of DKAS.

Anybody else get turned down?

I suspect either the TSB is written with the wrong sales codes or this TSB is too new and hasn't yet been entered into their Chrysler DealerConnect system yet. Any insight here?
Thanks, Rich....
RichWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
Thnak you Lee, do the '14's not need the update?
I don't think so, but I am checking. Still haven't got an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWK2 View Post

Anybody else get turned down?

I suspect either the TSB is written with the wrong sales codes or this TSB is too new and hasn't yet been entered into their Chrysler DealerConnect system yet. Any insight here?
Thanks, Rich....
Actually I noticed that with a different vehicle when I was checking the VIN out. It met the requirements listed in the service bulletin, but the system didn't recognize it by VIN.
I mentioned it then and I just now sent an email advising of the issue.
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
RichWK2
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 20
Driveline bump TSB 21-003-13

Update- I obtained my Vehicle build sheet with sales codes. I have:
DKAS Quadra-Trac II (R) 4WD System
DR1P 230MM Rear Axel
DSFP Elec LTD Slip Differential Rr Axle

These sales codes match the TSB requirements, except that they each have 4 characters instead of the 3 listed in the TSB:
DKAS vs. DKA
DR1P vs. DR1
DSFP vs. DSF

I would think that these are one in the same. Thank you for looking into it!
RichWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
MLC#3 97TJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 17
Met Requirements, but VIN did not agree

Customer Care Lee,
I just spoke to my service rep, and despite meeting each of the stated qualifications I was told my VIN did not come up as requiring this enhancement. Looking forward to your response!!
MLC#3 97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
xjrguy
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 93
I brought mine in today to get the update done.

What was awesome is the dealer updated every single module in my Jeep and applied all outstanding TSB's (in addition to the DTCM TSB) while it was in there!!!

How is that for service. So every single module has the latest code now.

VERY COOL!!
xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
Thnak you Lee, do the '14's not need the update?
The 2014s do not need the update.
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC#3 97TJ View Post
Customer Care Lee,
I just spoke to my service rep, and despite meeting each of the stated qualifications I was told my VIN did not come up as requiring this enhancement. Looking forward to your response!!
Please give me your VIN (PM is OK.)
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
gabbagabba
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest, NH
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
The 2014s do not need the update.
Thx!
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 4,068
Seems like 21-003-13 applies to ELSD equipped vehicles regardless of build date.

Otherwise 21-003-13 applies to those built after May 1 2011 and 21-004-13 to those built before May 2 2011

By coincidence mine rolled off the line (JS) at 9:47 AM on May 2, 2011... but didn't reach plant release (KZ) until May 5.... it does have ELSD and the bump on acceleration. I think I'll go see if the dealer will apply the TSB.

We just had its two year birthday party I hope the terrible twos are not going to be that terrible.
__________________
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6, 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.